Re: Superbrick Challenge staus?

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 23 , May 2, 2003
      Hi Bruce,
      I am guilty of perhaps confusing things with my crazy post.
      Bruce Hector was,of course,refering to the one and only Bolger SUPER
      BRICK.Where this gets confusing is with me reminding Bruce Hector of
      his observation made while visiting my building site last summer
      that,the building jig for WINDERMERE would make something of a giant
      Brick.That is why I refered to this as the Ultimate Super
      Brick,hoping not to have it mixed up with our Heros' work.
      As to the Super Brick Challenge,in all fairness,the one built
      closest to the plans AND having the best finish should win.This does
      suggest that more then one would actually have to get built otherwise
      there is no contest and the solo boat wins by default.Either
      way,Bruce Hector would love to see and use one........me thinks!
      I hope this helps disperse some of the mix up for you Bruce.

      Sincerely,
      Peter Lenihan,warming up for tomorrows expected return to my boat
      building site in the boonies where Windermere awaits,if only in
      pieces,for the return of some real screwing and glueing
      sessions......heeeehaaaa.......

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <brucehallman@y...>

      Message 2 of 23 , May 3, 2003
        > would love to see and use one...

        As would we all!

        My recurring dream to build a
        Superbrick keeps getting dashed
        when I start doing the math, and
        realize that for about the same
        amount of work, I could build
        an AS-29! I guess I need 'em both.

        It doesn't hurt to dream.

        Reality check please. Am I
        wrong to believe that these
        two boats are about the same
        size and complexity? The big
        difference is that one is
        seaworthy and the other is
        not?

        [...thinking...]

        Of course, both are 8 feet wide
        and about 8 feet tall. One
        is 19 feet long, and the other
        29 feet long.

        AS-29 tapers on both ends, and
        Superbrick does not so they
        both can have roughly the
        same interior accomodations. I.E.
        double berth, two single berths,
        stand up galley, washroom, cabinets,
        etc., The Superbrick does not taper
        and that is how it crams in so much
        in such a short length.
      • andy wilson
        Message 3 of 23 , May 3, 2003
          My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build. Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat? Keep the 2ft deep sweep of the bottom and get a pretty fair sailing shape with 4ft high hull sides plus enough 2ft high cabin sides to promote self-righting. Water ballast if it was to be transportable or ferro cement if not,a la AS29. Go ahead and fiddle around with the outline and you will find it easy to get a transverse double back aft plus a standing room head and a galley amidships and two singles/setees forrard. Add self draining wells bow and stern for muddies and oilies plus easy boarding ability and don't forget full positive buoyancy. Add your choice of low unstayed rigs and masts in tabernacles. I would mount a single leeboard retained by a s/steel bar at the chine and pivot at a forrard bulkhead. Hey presto,enough seaworthy sailing house trailer to send cheaply anywhere on earth and be safe enough for short coastal hops between havens on a good forecast.I love 10 hp 4 strokes with large fine pitched props running throttled back. Amazing fuel economy.The big plus for such a square boat is the number of straight cuts and right angles which should be able to be pounded together quick n dirty yet still super-strong. All the built in furniture and panels just make it a giant egg crate....mmmm,not a bad name.Or Das Box I offer free moorings near Sydney to anybody gutsy enough to try it out. Carpe Diem guys, we aint around forever,how many more summers are you going to procrastinate? Andrew Wilson

          Bruce Hallman <brucehallman@...> wrote:> would love to see and use one...

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          Bolger rules!!!

        • pvanderwaart
          Message 4 of 23 , May 4, 2003
            > My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
            > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
            > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

            What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
            buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

            Peter
          • Peter Lenihan
            Message 5 of 23 , May 4, 2003
              Hi Peter,
              Nifty idea but I suspect that the whole Super Brick concept
              works as it does because it uses the built in interior furniture to
              render the hull structurally sound.In effect,the furniture is nothing
              more then oddly(but useful) shaped ribs,frames and bulkheads typical
              to most boats but very much needed in a box just to keep the flat
              straight panels,well...flat and straight:-)
              I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
              board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea or Home
              Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in units....

              Sincerely,
              Peter L.

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:

              > What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure,
              and
              > buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?
              >
              > Peter
            • pvanderwaart
              Message 6 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                > I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
                > board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea
                > or Home Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in
                > units....

                I think particle board should be avoided. I was thinking of a metal-
                framed day-bed from Ikea.

                The SuperBrick framing might have to be changed. The question is how
                much more expensive is cheap store-bought stuff compared to homemade
                and custom fitted.

                Peter
              • Pete Hodges
                Message 7 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                  So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.
                • andy wilson
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                    I love this idea and confess to having resorted to such a ruse in a power cruiser. Everybody loved the result but knew that a sloppy carpenter such as me just HAD to have cheated and I had to 'fess up.Seriously,the interior furniture braces the hull and contributes lots of strength to wobbly ply panels. Pity Ikea isnt selling kit boats. Andy

                    pvanderwaart <pvanderw@...> wrote:> My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
                    > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
                    > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

                    What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
                    buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

                    Peter

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Bolger rules!!!

                  • craig o'donnell
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                      >So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.

                      I have one somewhere.
                      --
                      Craig O'Donnell
                      Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

                      -- Macintosh kinda guy
                      Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
                      _________________________________
                      ---
                    • Bruce Hector
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                        I've posted 3 screen shots of Richard Santa Coloma's beautiful
                        virtual Superbrick in the photo section of Bolger3 in a album
                        appropriately named Superbrick at
                        http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bolger3/lst
                        for your perusal.

                        As to how close to plans does it have to be, I'd say if you can
                        recognize it as a Superbrick from 100 yards away, it is one. You have
                        to admit, she is soewhat, un-mistakable!

                        Shanties, by their very nature, reflect thier builders rugged
                        individualism more so than "ordinary" homemade boats.

                        So as the Marx brother's might say:

                        If it looks like a Superbrick, and it sails like a Superbrick, and it
                        smells like a Superbrick, then ...... the builder gets my $100 as I
                        step aboard with a case of good Canadian beer under my arm.

                        All bets are in US funds, I hereby put up mine. Please email me off
                        list and I post a running total on the list. Contributers must
                        include a snail mail address and phone number for the collection
                        agencies use.

                        This is not a best built Superbrick challenge, it is a first built
                        Superbrick challenge, to help ensure that this superb, thumb in the
                        nose to "right-thinking" yachtsmen actually gets built). Winner is
                        the first to launch and move on 3 points of sail under wind power
                        alone a Bolger designed Superbrick, built close enough to plans to be
                        recognized by the panel (me, so far, but I'll add any long term
                        Bolgerista who'll accompany me to the "judging" (must bring his/her
                        own beer).

                        Bruce Hector
                        http://www.brucesboats.com
                        Who herewith disqualifies himself from the contest, even if I am
                        crazy enuf to actually make a curvy, scrappy shanty on Peter
                        Lenihan's strongback.
                      • stephensonhw@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                          You will see plans for a Superbrick if you search Google Images on Bolger Superbrick.

                          Howard