Re: Superbrick Challenge staus?

    Message 1 of 23 , May 2 1:12 PM
      --- "Peter Lenihan" wrote:

      > She would forever be "a work
      > in progress" sort of critter.

      I can see a controversy in
      judging this Superbrick
      Challenge.

      How close should the Superbrick
      match PCB's design?

      On one hand, she *is* a shanty boat,
      which by tradition are cobbled
      together from salvaged materials
      and remain always "a work in progress"

      ...but on the other hand, building
      her *true* to PCB's plans seems the
      correct thing to do, with respect to
      his genius.
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2 2:47 PM
        Hi Bruce,
        I am guilty of perhaps confusing things with my crazy post.
        Bruce Hector was,of course,refering to the one and only Bolger SUPER
        BRICK.Where this gets confusing is with me reminding Bruce Hector of
        his observation made while visiting my building site last summer
        that,the building jig for WINDERMERE would make something of a giant
        Brick.That is why I refered to this as the Ultimate Super
        Brick,hoping not to have it mixed up with our Heros' work.
        As to the Super Brick Challenge,in all fairness,the one built
        closest to the plans AND having the best finish should win.This does
        suggest that more then one would actually have to get built otherwise
        there is no contest and the solo boat wins by default.Either
        way,Bruce Hector would love to see and use one........me thinks!
        I hope this helps disperse some of the mix up for you Bruce.

        Sincerely,
        Peter Lenihan,warming up for tomorrows expected return to my boat
        building site in the boonies where Windermere awaits,if only in
        pieces,for the return of some real screwing and glueing
        sessions......heeeehaaaa.......

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <brucehallman@y...>

        Message 3 of 23 , May 3 9:41 AM
          > would love to see and use one...

          As would we all!

          My recurring dream to build a
          Superbrick keeps getting dashed
          when I start doing the math, and
          realize that for about the same
          amount of work, I could build
          an AS-29! I guess I need 'em both.

          It doesn't hurt to dream.

          Reality check please. Am I
          wrong to believe that these
          two boats are about the same
          size and complexity? The big
          difference is that one is
          seaworthy and the other is
          not?

          [...thinking...]

          Of course, both are 8 feet wide
          and about 8 feet tall. One
          is 19 feet long, and the other
          29 feet long.

          AS-29 tapers on both ends, and
          Superbrick does not so they
          both can have roughly the
          same interior accomodations. I.E.
          double berth, two single berths,
          stand up galley, washroom, cabinets,
          etc., The Superbrick does not taper
          and that is how it crams in so much
          in such a short length.
        • andy wilson
          Message 4 of 23 , May 3 6:58 PM
            My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build. Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat? Keep the 2ft deep sweep of the bottom and get a pretty fair sailing shape with 4ft high hull sides plus enough 2ft high cabin sides to promote self-righting. Water ballast if it was to be transportable or ferro cement if not,a la AS29. Go ahead and fiddle around with the outline and you will find it easy to get a transverse double back aft plus a standing room head and a galley amidships and two singles/setees forrard. Add self draining wells bow and stern for muddies and oilies plus easy boarding ability and don't forget full positive buoyancy. Add your choice of low unstayed rigs and masts in tabernacles. I would mount a single leeboard retained by a s/steel bar at the chine and pivot at a forrard bulkhead. Hey presto,enough seaworthy sailing house trailer to send cheaply anywhere on earth and be safe enough for short coastal hops between havens on a good forecast.I love 10 hp 4 strokes with large fine pitched props running throttled back. Amazing fuel economy.The big plus for such a square boat is the number of straight cuts and right angles which should be able to be pounded together quick n dirty yet still super-strong. All the built in furniture and panels just make it a giant egg crate....mmmm,not a bad name.Or Das Box I offer free moorings near Sydney to anybody gutsy enough to try it out. Carpe Diem guys, we aint around forever,how many more summers are you going to procrastinate? Andrew Wilson

            Bruce Hallman <brucehallman@...> wrote:> would love to see and use one...

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            Bolger rules!!!

          • pvanderwaart
            Message 5 of 23 , May 4 7:08 AM
              > My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
              > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
              > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

              What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
              buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

              Peter
            • Peter Lenihan
              Message 6 of 23 , May 4 9:56 AM
                Hi Peter,
                Nifty idea but I suspect that the whole Super Brick concept
                works as it does because it uses the built in interior furniture to
                render the hull structurally sound.In effect,the furniture is nothing
                more then oddly(but useful) shaped ribs,frames and bulkheads typical
                to most boats but very much needed in a box just to keep the flat
                straight panels,well...flat and straight:-)
                I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
                board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea or Home
                Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in units....

                Sincerely,
                Peter L.

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:

                > What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure,
                and
                > buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?
                >
                > Peter
              • pvanderwaart
                Message 7 of 23 , May 4 11:45 AM
                  > I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
                  > board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea
                  > or Home Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in
                  > units....

                  I think particle board should be avoided. I was thinking of a metal-
                  framed day-bed from Ikea.

                  The SuperBrick framing might have to be changed. The question is how
                  much more expensive is cheap store-bought stuff compared to homemade
                  and custom fitted.

                  Peter
                • Pete Hodges
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 4 1:51 PM
                    So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.
                  • andy wilson
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 4 3:50 PM
                      I love this idea and confess to having resorted to such a ruse in a power cruiser. Everybody loved the result but knew that a sloppy carpenter such as me just HAD to have cheated and I had to 'fess up.Seriously,the interior furniture braces the hull and contributes lots of strength to wobbly ply panels. Pity Ikea isnt selling kit boats. Andy

                      pvanderwaart <pvanderw@...> wrote:> My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
                      > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
                      > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

                      What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
                      buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

                      Peter

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      Bolger rules!!!

                    • craig o'donnell
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 4 6:01 PM
                        >So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.

                        I have one somewhere.
                        --
                        Craig O'Donnell
                        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

                        -- Macintosh kinda guy
                        Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
                        _________________________________
                        ---
                      • Bruce Hector
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 4 7:00 PM
                          I've posted 3 screen shots of Richard Santa Coloma's beautiful
                          virtual Superbrick in the photo section of Bolger3 in a album
                          appropriately named Superbrick at
                          http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bolger3/lst
                          for your perusal.

                          As to how close to plans does it have to be, I'd say if you can
                          recognize it as a Superbrick from 100 yards away, it is one. You have
                          to admit, she is soewhat, un-mistakable!

                          Shanties, by their very nature, reflect thier builders rugged
                          individualism more so than "ordinary" homemade boats.

                          So as the Marx brother's might say:

                          If it looks like a Superbrick, and it sails like a Superbrick, and it
                          smells like a Superbrick, then ...... the builder gets my $100 as I
                          step aboard with a case of good Canadian beer under my arm.

                          All bets are in US funds, I hereby put up mine. Please email me off
                          list and I post a running total on the list. Contributers must
                          include a snail mail address and phone number for the collection
                          agencies use.

                          This is not a best built Superbrick challenge, it is a first built
                          Superbrick challenge, to help ensure that this superb, thumb in the
                          nose to "right-thinking" yachtsmen actually gets built). Winner is
                          the first to launch and move on 3 points of sail under wind power
                          alone a Bolger designed Superbrick, built close enough to plans to be
                          recognized by the panel (me, so far, but I'll add any long term
                          Bolgerista who'll accompany me to the "judging" (must bring his/her
                          own beer).

                          Bruce Hector
                          http://www.brucesboats.com
                          Who herewith disqualifies himself from the contest, even if I am
                          crazy enuf to actually make a curvy, scrappy shanty on Peter
                          Lenihan's strongback.
                        • stephensonhw@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 4 9:08 PM
                            You will see plans for a Superbrick if you search Google Images on Bolger Superbrick.

                            Howard