Re: [bolger] Re: Superbrick Challenge staus?

  • C O'Donnell
    Message 1 of 23 , May 2 12:01 PM
      >Bolger faxed me that one was being built, but the builder never
      >finished it....

      Yes, but what's the sum in the pot for the Challenge?
      ---
    • David Romasco
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2 12:34 PM
        Ah Peter, it's GOOD to have you back....

        David Romasco

        Message 3 of 23 , May 2 1:12 PM
          --- "Peter Lenihan" wrote:

          > She would forever be "a work
          > in progress" sort of critter.

          I can see a controversy in
          judging this Superbrick
          Challenge.

          How close should the Superbrick
          match PCB's design?

          On one hand, she *is* a shanty boat,
          which by tradition are cobbled
          together from salvaged materials
          and remain always "a work in progress"

          ...but on the other hand, building
          her *true* to PCB's plans seems the
          correct thing to do, with respect to
          his genius.
        • Peter Lenihan
          Message 4 of 23 , May 2 2:47 PM
            Hi Bruce,
            I am guilty of perhaps confusing things with my crazy post.
            Bruce Hector was,of course,refering to the one and only Bolger SUPER
            BRICK.Where this gets confusing is with me reminding Bruce Hector of
            his observation made while visiting my building site last summer
            that,the building jig for WINDERMERE would make something of a giant
            Brick.That is why I refered to this as the Ultimate Super
            Brick,hoping not to have it mixed up with our Heros' work.
            As to the Super Brick Challenge,in all fairness,the one built
            closest to the plans AND having the best finish should win.This does
            suggest that more then one would actually have to get built otherwise
            there is no contest and the solo boat wins by default.Either
            way,Bruce Hector would love to see and use one........me thinks!
            I hope this helps disperse some of the mix up for you Bruce.

            Sincerely,
            Peter Lenihan,warming up for tomorrows expected return to my boat
            building site in the boonies where Windermere awaits,if only in
            pieces,for the return of some real screwing and glueing
            sessions......heeeehaaaa.......

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <brucehallman@y...>

            Message 5 of 23 , May 3 9:41 AM
              > would love to see and use one...

              As would we all!

              My recurring dream to build a
              Superbrick keeps getting dashed
              when I start doing the math, and
              realize that for about the same
              amount of work, I could build
              an AS-29! I guess I need 'em both.

              It doesn't hurt to dream.

              Reality check please. Am I
              wrong to believe that these
              two boats are about the same
              size and complexity? The big
              difference is that one is
              seaworthy and the other is
              not?

              [...thinking...]

              Of course, both are 8 feet wide
              and about 8 feet tall. One
              is 19 feet long, and the other
              29 feet long.

              AS-29 tapers on both ends, and
              Superbrick does not so they
              both can have roughly the
              same interior accomodations. I.E.
              double berth, two single berths,
              stand up galley, washroom, cabinets,
              etc., The Superbrick does not taper
              and that is how it crams in so much
              in such a short length.
            • andy wilson
              Message 6 of 23 , May 3 6:58 PM
                My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build. Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat? Keep the 2ft deep sweep of the bottom and get a pretty fair sailing shape with 4ft high hull sides plus enough 2ft high cabin sides to promote self-righting. Water ballast if it was to be transportable or ferro cement if not,a la AS29. Go ahead and fiddle around with the outline and you will find it easy to get a transverse double back aft plus a standing room head and a galley amidships and two singles/setees forrard. Add self draining wells bow and stern for muddies and oilies plus easy boarding ability and don't forget full positive buoyancy. Add your choice of low unstayed rigs and masts in tabernacles. I would mount a single leeboard retained by a s/steel bar at the chine and pivot at a forrard bulkhead. Hey presto,enough seaworthy sailing house trailer to send cheaply anywhere on earth and be safe enough for short coastal hops between havens on a good forecast.I love 10 hp 4 strokes with large fine pitched props running throttled back. Amazing fuel economy.The big plus for such a square boat is the number of straight cuts and right angles which should be able to be pounded together quick n dirty yet still super-strong. All the built in furniture and panels just make it a giant egg crate....mmmm,not a bad name.Or Das Box I offer free moorings near Sydney to anybody gutsy enough to try it out. Carpe Diem guys, we aint around forever,how many more summers are you going to procrastinate? Andrew Wilson

                Bruce Hallman <brucehallman@...> wrote:> would love to see and use one...

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                Bolger rules!!!

              • pvanderwaart
                Message 7 of 23 , May 4 7:08 AM
                  > My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
                  > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
                  > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

                  What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
                  buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

                  Peter
                • Peter Lenihan
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 4 9:56 AM
                    Hi Peter,
                    Nifty idea but I suspect that the whole Super Brick concept
                    works as it does because it uses the built in interior furniture to
                    render the hull structurally sound.In effect,the furniture is nothing
                    more then oddly(but useful) shaped ribs,frames and bulkheads typical
                    to most boats but very much needed in a box just to keep the flat
                    straight panels,well...flat and straight:-)
                    I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
                    board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea or Home
                    Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in units....

                    Sincerely,
                    Peter L.

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:

                    > What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure,
                    and
                    > buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?
                    >
                    > Peter
                  • pvanderwaart
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 4 11:45 AM
                      > I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
                      > board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea
                      > or Home Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in
                      > units....

                      I think particle board should be avoided. I was thinking of a metal-
                      framed day-bed from Ikea.

                      The SuperBrick framing might have to be changed. The question is how
                      much more expensive is cheap store-bought stuff compared to homemade
                      and custom fitted.

                      Peter
                    • Pete Hodges
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 4 1:51 PM
                        So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.
                      • andy wilson
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 4 3:50 PM
                          I love this idea and confess to having resorted to such a ruse in a power cruiser. Everybody loved the result but knew that a sloppy carpenter such as me just HAD to have cheated and I had to 'fess up.Seriously,the interior furniture braces the hull and contributes lots of strength to wobbly ply panels. Pity Ikea isnt selling kit boats. Andy

                          pvanderwaart <pvanderw@...> wrote:> My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
                          > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
                          > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

                          What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
                          buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

                          Peter

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          Bolger rules!!!

                        • craig o'donnell
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 4 6:01 PM
                            >So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.

                            I have one somewhere.
                            --
                            Craig O'Donnell
                            Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

                            -- Macintosh kinda guy
                            Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
                            _________________________________
                            ---
                          • Bruce Hector
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 4 7:00 PM
                              I've posted 3 screen shots of Richard Santa Coloma's beautiful
                              virtual Superbrick in the photo section of Bolger3 in a album
                              appropriately named Superbrick at
                              http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bolger3/lst
                              for your perusal.

                              As to how close to plans does it have to be, I'd say if you can
                              recognize it as a Superbrick from 100 yards away, it is one. You have
                              to admit, she is soewhat, un-mistakable!

                              Shanties, by their very nature, reflect thier builders rugged
                              individualism more so than "ordinary" homemade boats.

                              So as the Marx brother's might say:

                              If it looks like a Superbrick, and it sails like a Superbrick, and it
                              smells like a Superbrick, then ...... the builder gets my $100 as I
                              step aboard with a case of good Canadian beer under my arm.

                              All bets are in US funds, I hereby put up mine. Please email me off
                              list and I post a running total on the list. Contributers must
                              include a snail mail address and phone number for the collection
                              agencies use.

                              This is not a best built Superbrick challenge, it is a first built
                              Superbrick challenge, to help ensure that this superb, thumb in the
                              nose to "right-thinking" yachtsmen actually gets built). Winner is
                              the first to launch and move on 3 points of sail under wind power
                              alone a Bolger designed Superbrick, built close enough to plans to be
                              recognized by the panel (me, so far, but I'll add any long term
                              Bolgerista who'll accompany me to the "judging" (must bring his/her
                              own beer).

                              Bruce Hector
                              http://www.brucesboats.com
                              Who herewith disqualifies himself from the contest, even if I am
                              crazy enuf to actually make a curvy, scrappy shanty on Peter
                              Lenihan's strongback.
                            • stephensonhw@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 4 9:08 PM
                                You will see plans for a Superbrick if you search Google Images on Bolger Superbrick.

                                Howard