Re: [bolger] Re: Superbrick Challenge staus?

  • Ken Locarnini
    Message 1 of 23 , May 2, 2003
      Bolger faxed me that one was being built, but the builder never finished it....
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2003
        Hi Bruce,
        The height in the center of the jig is just short of 4 feet or
        least that is what I can recall here from a distance.She most
        certainly can go onto a flatbed truck or trailer. I do noy know the
        weight of the jig but there are about 40 odd 2"X4"X 8'pieces in her.I
        am very confident that a total of 6 beer fueled maniacs or even 5 or 4
        (!) could get her up on a flatbed. Now,just how those beer fueled
        maniacs ever get back to the rustproofing shop and at what time is
        impossible for me to say.
        This Ultimate Super Brick would make a most respectable gin
        platform at any messabout,even if she is not decked over and finished
        at the time of the event.There would be lots of room to drop a Johnny-
        On-The-Spot inside for the ladies.Over time,she could gradually have
        her decks and interior cobbled together.In my minds eye,I see her as
        something of a shanty-boat with lots of roofing tar used to keep her
        seams water-tight and not a speck of varnish ANYWHERE. In fact,the
        cheapest paint you could get would be just fine inside and out.She
        would forever be"a work in progress" sort of critter.Getting a couple
        of mast in her,like Bolgers scow schooner,with poly-tarp sails,would
        be neat.To sail past the yacht basin in Kingston would be wild!!!The
        whole crew would,of course,have to be dressed up as pirates with
        strategically placed kegs to minimize sore throats from the expected
        whooping and hollering.......
        See what you've gone and done now Bruce? Even I am getting a
        wee bit excited with all sorts of "visions" of racing-down-the-hill-
        out-of-control-with-no-brakes fun!Yikes!!
        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,who will put off dismantling the jig until further
        notice,from the shores of the St.Lawrence..............

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@h...>
        wrote:
        > Now Peter,
        >
        > Don't get me started. What's the height at the centre of the jig?
        Got
        > any pics? Being 8' wide, she could go on a flabed truck or
        trailler,
        > yes? How much do you think it weighs, ie. would a crane be needed
        or
        > could a small crew of beer swilling rustproofers on their day off
        > lift it?
        >
        > Dammit anyways!
        >
        > Bruce Hectorhttp://www.brucesboats.com
        > Could make a good gin barge for the wine and cheese party at the
        > Kingston Messabout, no?
      • C O'Donnell
        Message 3 of 23 , May 2, 2003
          >Bolger faxed me that one was being built, but the builder never
          >finished it....

          Yes, but what's the sum in the pot for the Challenge?
          ---
        • David Romasco
          Message 4 of 23 , May 2, 2003
            Ah Peter, it's GOOD to have you back....

            David Romasco

            wrote:
            > Now Peter,
            >
            > Don't get me started. What's the height at the centre of the jig?
            Got
            > any pics? Being 8' wide, she could go on a flabed truck or
            trailler,
            > yes? How much do you think it weighs, ie. would a crane be needed
            or
            > could a small crew of beer swilling rustproofers on their day off
            > lift it?
            >
            > Dammit anyways!
            >
            > Bruce Hectorhttp://www.brucesboats.com
            > Could make a good gin barge for the wine and cheese party at the
            > Kingston Messabout, no?

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050657
            91:HM/A=1554463/R=4/id=noscript/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?p
            roflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
            065791:HM/A=1554463/R=5/1051901027+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.pr
            oflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/freevase/index.cfm%3
            FREF=FGVYahooEgroupsLRECgif>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupmai
            l/S=:HM/A=1554463/rand=520334845>

            Bolger rules!!!
            01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            Message 5 of 23 , May 2, 2003
              --- "Peter Lenihan" wrote:

              > She would forever be "a work
              > in progress" sort of critter.

              I can see a controversy in
              judging this Superbrick
              Challenge.

              How close should the Superbrick
              match PCB's design?

              On one hand, she *is* a shanty boat,
              which by tradition are cobbled
              together from salvaged materials
              and remain always "a work in progress"

              ...but on the other hand, building
              her *true* to PCB's plans seems the
              correct thing to do, with respect to
              his genius.
            • Peter Lenihan
              Message 6 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                Hi Bruce,
                I am guilty of perhaps confusing things with my crazy post.
                Bruce Hector was,of course,refering to the one and only Bolger SUPER
                BRICK.Where this gets confusing is with me reminding Bruce Hector of
                his observation made while visiting my building site last summer
                that,the building jig for WINDERMERE would make something of a giant
                Brick.That is why I refered to this as the Ultimate Super
                Brick,hoping not to have it mixed up with our Heros' work.
                As to the Super Brick Challenge,in all fairness,the one built
                closest to the plans AND having the best finish should win.This does
                suggest that more then one would actually have to get built otherwise
                there is no contest and the solo boat wins by default.Either
                way,Bruce Hector would love to see and use one........me thinks!
                I hope this helps disperse some of the mix up for you Bruce.

                Sincerely,
                Peter Lenihan,warming up for tomorrows expected return to my boat
                building site in the boonies where Windermere awaits,if only in
                pieces,for the return of some real screwing and glueing
                sessions......heeeehaaaa.......

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <brucehallman@y...>

                Message 7 of 23 , May 3, 2003
                  > would love to see and use one...

                  As would we all!

                  My recurring dream to build a
                  Superbrick keeps getting dashed
                  when I start doing the math, and
                  realize that for about the same
                  amount of work, I could build
                  an AS-29! I guess I need 'em both.

                  It doesn't hurt to dream.

                  Reality check please. Am I
                  wrong to believe that these
                  two boats are about the same
                  size and complexity? The big
                  difference is that one is
                  seaworthy and the other is
                  not?

                  [...thinking...]

                  Of course, both are 8 feet wide
                  and about 8 feet tall. One
                  is 19 feet long, and the other
                  29 feet long.

                  AS-29 tapers on both ends, and
                  Superbrick does not so they
                  both can have roughly the
                  same interior accomodations. I.E.
                  double berth, two single berths,
                  stand up galley, washroom, cabinets,
                  etc., The Superbrick does not taper
                  and that is how it crams in so much
                  in such a short length.
                • andy wilson
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 3, 2003
                    My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build. Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat? Keep the 2ft deep sweep of the bottom and get a pretty fair sailing shape with 4ft high hull sides plus enough 2ft high cabin sides to promote self-righting. Water ballast if it was to be transportable or ferro cement if not,a la AS29. Go ahead and fiddle around with the outline and you will find it easy to get a transverse double back aft plus a standing room head and a galley amidships and two singles/setees forrard. Add self draining wells bow and stern for muddies and oilies plus easy boarding ability and don't forget full positive buoyancy. Add your choice of low unstayed rigs and masts in tabernacles. I would mount a single leeboard retained by a s/steel bar at the chine and pivot at a forrard bulkhead. Hey presto,enough seaworthy sailing house trailer to send cheaply anywhere on earth and be safe enough for short coastal hops between havens on a good forecast.I love 10 hp 4 strokes with large fine pitched props running throttled back. Amazing fuel economy.The big plus for such a square boat is the number of straight cuts and right angles which should be able to be pounded together quick n dirty yet still super-strong. All the built in furniture and panels just make it a giant egg crate....mmmm,not a bad name.Or Das Box I offer free moorings near Sydney to anybody gutsy enough to try it out. Carpe Diem guys, we aint around forever,how many more summers are you going to procrastinate? Andrew Wilson

                    Bruce Hallman <brucehallman@...> wrote:> would love to see and use one...

[...]

                  • pvanderwaart
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                      > My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
                      > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
                      > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

                      What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
                      buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

                      Peter
                    • Peter Lenihan
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                        Hi Peter,
                        Nifty idea but I suspect that the whole Super Brick concept
                        works as it does because it uses the built in interior furniture to
                        render the hull structurally sound.In effect,the furniture is nothing
                        more then oddly(but useful) shaped ribs,frames and bulkheads typical
                        to most boats but very much needed in a box just to keep the flat
                        straight panels,well...flat and straight:-)
                        I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
                        board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea or Home
                        Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in units....

                        Sincerely,
                        Peter L.

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:

                        > What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure,
                        and
                        > buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?
                        >
                        > Peter
                      • pvanderwaart
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                          > I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
                          > board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea
                          > or Home Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in
                          > units....

                          I think particle board should be avoided. I was thinking of a metal-
                          framed day-bed from Ikea.

                          The SuperBrick framing might have to be changed. The question is how
                          much more expensive is cheap store-bought stuff compared to homemade
                          and custom fitted.

                          Peter
                        • Pete Hodges
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                            So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.
                          • andy wilson
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                              I love this idea and confess to having resorted to such a ruse in a power cruiser. Everybody loved the result but knew that a sloppy carpenter such as me just HAD to have cheated and I had to 'fess up.Seriously,the interior furniture braces the hull and contributes lots of strength to wobbly ply panels. Pity Ikea isnt selling kit boats. Andy

                              pvanderwaart <pvanderw@...> wrote:> My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
                              > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
                              > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

                              What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
                              buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

                              Peter

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              Bolger rules!!!

                            • craig o'donnell
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                >So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.

                                I have one somewhere.
                                --
                                Craig O'Donnell
                                Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

                                -- Macintosh kinda guy
                                Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
                                _________________________________
                                ---
                              • Bruce Hector
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                  I've posted 3 screen shots of Richard Santa Coloma's beautiful
                                  virtual Superbrick in the photo section of Bolger3 in a album
                                  appropriately named Superbrick at
                                  http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bolger3/lst
                                  for your perusal.

                                  As to how close to plans does it have to be, I'd say if you can
                                  recognize it as a Superbrick from 100 yards away, it is one. You have
                                  to admit, she is soewhat, un-mistakable!

                                  Shanties, by their very nature, reflect thier builders rugged
                                  individualism more so than "ordinary" homemade boats.

                                  So as the Marx brother's might say:

                                  If it looks like a Superbrick, and it sails like a Superbrick, and it
                                  smells like a Superbrick, then ...... the builder gets my $100 as I
                                  step aboard with a case of good Canadian beer under my arm.

                                  All bets are in US funds, I hereby put up mine. Please email me off
                                  list and I post a running total on the list. Contributers must
                                  include a snail mail address and phone number for the collection
                                  agencies use.

                                  This is not a best built Superbrick challenge, it is a first built
                                  Superbrick challenge, to help ensure that this superb, thumb in the
                                  nose to "right-thinking" yachtsmen actually gets built). Winner is
                                  the first to launch and move on 3 points of sail under wind power
                                  alone a Bolger designed Superbrick, built close enough to plans to be
                                  recognized by the panel (me, so far, but I'll add any long term
                                  Bolgerista who'll accompany me to the "judging" (must bring his/her
                                  own beer).

                                  Bruce Hector
                                  http://www.brucesboats.com
                                  Who herewith disqualifies himself from the contest, even if I am
                                  crazy enuf to actually make a curvy, scrappy shanty on Peter
                                  Lenihan's strongback.
                                • stephensonhw@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                    You will see plans for a Superbrick if you search Google Images on Bolger Superbrick.

                                    Howard