Re: Superbrick Challenge staus?

  • Bruce Hector
    Message 1 of 23 , May 2, 2003
      Now Peter,

      Don't get me started. What's the height at the centre of the jig? Got
      any pics? Being 8' wide, she could go on a flabed truck or trailler,
      yes? How much do you think it weighs, ie. would a crane be needed or
      could a small crew of beer swilling rustproofers on their day off
      lift it?

      Dammit anyways!

      Bruce Hectorhttp://www.brucesboats.com
      Could make a good gin barge for the wine and cheese party at the
      Kingston Messabout, no?
    • C O'Donnell
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2003
        >Who was it that took this up last year? I and several others said
        >we'd award the first launcher of a Superbrick $100 US each on
        >completion to the first builder to help defray costs. Since then I've
        >heard nada!

        If you reiterate the terms of the prize (how many Challenge donors?)
        I will consider...
        ---
        Message 3 of 23 , May 2, 2003
          Has a Superbrick ever been built?
          I have not heard of one.

          I too, have a boat-building jones,
          for a Superbrick.

          I see it as a perfect marina cruiser.

          > a Superbrick $100 US each on
          > completion to the first builder
        • pvanderwaart
          Message 4 of 23 , May 2, 2003
            > I too, have a boat-building jones,
            > for a Superbrick.

            Personally, I won't settle for less than the liveaboard scow schooner.

            PHV
            Message 5 of 23 , May 2, 2003
              Re-reading PCB's chapter in BWAOM,
              I quote: "The interior and deck
              jointerwork is almost as expensive
              as those of a genuine boat...".

              This rings true to me, [presently in
              battle with the dresser drawer
              jointerwork in my Micro Navigator].
              All those funny angles and that detail
              work is proving difficult and time
              consuming!

              A Superbrick hull would be quick
              but the finish work would be slow,
              I predict.
            • Ken Locarnini
              Message 6 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                Bolger faxed me that one was being built, but the builder never finished it....
                Message 7 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                  Hi Bruce,
                  The height in the center of the jig is just short of 4 feet or
                  least that is what I can recall here from a distance.She most
                  certainly can go onto a flatbed truck or trailer. I do noy know the
                  weight of the jig but there are about 40 odd 2"X4"X 8'pieces in her.I
                  am very confident that a total of 6 beer fueled maniacs or even 5 or 4
                  (!) could get her up on a flatbed. Now,just how those beer fueled
                  maniacs ever get back to the rustproofing shop and at what time is
                  impossible for me to say.
                  This Ultimate Super Brick would make a most respectable gin
                  platform at any messabout,even if she is not decked over and finished
                  at the time of the event.There would be lots of room to drop a Johnny-
                  On-The-Spot inside for the ladies.Over time,she could gradually have
                  her decks and interior cobbled together.In my minds eye,I see her as
                  something of a shanty-boat with lots of roofing tar used to keep her
                  seams water-tight and not a speck of varnish ANYWHERE. In fact,the
                  cheapest paint you could get would be just fine inside and out.She
                  would forever be"a work in progress" sort of critter.Getting a couple
                  of mast in her,like Bolgers scow schooner,with poly-tarp sails,would
                  be neat.To sail past the yacht basin in Kingston would be wild!!!The
                  whole crew would,of course,have to be dressed up as pirates with
                  strategically placed kegs to minimize sore throats from the expected
                  whooping and hollering.......
                  See what you've gone and done now Bruce? Even I am getting a
                  wee bit excited with all sorts of "visions" of racing-down-the-hill-
                  out-of-control-with-no-brakes fun!Yikes!!
                  Sincerely,

                  Peter Lenihan,who will put off dismantling the jig until further
                  notice,from the shores of the St.Lawrence..............

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@h...>
                  wrote:
                  > Now Peter,
                  >
                  > Don't get me started. What's the height at the centre of the jig?
                  Got
                  > any pics? Being 8' wide, she could go on a flabed truck or
                  trailler,
                  > yes? How much do you think it weighs, ie. would a crane be needed
                  or
                  > could a small crew of beer swilling rustproofers on their day off
                  > lift it?
                  >
                  > Dammit anyways!
                  >
                  > Bruce Hectorhttp://www.brucesboats.com
                  > Could make a good gin barge for the wine and cheese party at the
                  > Kingston Messabout, no?
                • C O'Donnell
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                    >Bolger faxed me that one was being built, but the builder never
                    >finished it....

                    Yes, but what's the sum in the pot for the Challenge?
                    ---
                  • David Romasco
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                      Ah Peter, it's GOOD to have you back....

                      David Romasco

                      wrote:
                      > Now Peter,
                      >
                      > Don't get me started. What's the height at the centre of the jig?
                      Got
                      > any pics? Being 8' wide, she could go on a flabed truck or
                      trailler,
                      > yes? How much do you think it weighs, ie. would a crane be needed
                      or
                      > could a small crew of beer swilling rustproofers on their day off
                      > lift it?
                      >
                      > Dammit anyways!
                      >
                      > Bruce Hectorhttp://www.brucesboats.com
                      > Could make a good gin barge for the wine and cheese party at the
                      > Kingston Messabout, no?

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050657
                      91:HM/A=1554463/R=4/id=noscript/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?p
                      roflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                      065791:HM/A=1554463/R=5/1051901027+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.pr
                      oflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/freevase/index.cfm%3
                      FREF=FGVYahooEgroupsLRECgif>

                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupmai
                      l/S=:HM/A=1554463/rand=520334845>

                      Bolger rules!!!
                      01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                        --- "Peter Lenihan" wrote:

                        > She would forever be "a work
                        > in progress" sort of critter.

                        I can see a controversy in
                        judging this Superbrick
                        Challenge.

                        How close should the Superbrick
                        match PCB's design?

                        On one hand, she *is* a shanty boat,
                        which by tradition are cobbled
                        together from salvaged materials
                        and remain always "a work in progress"

                        ...but on the other hand, building
                        her *true* to PCB's plans seems the
                        correct thing to do, with respect to
                        his genius.
                      • Peter Lenihan
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                          Hi Bruce,
                          I am guilty of perhaps confusing things with my crazy post.
                          Bruce Hector was,of course,refering to the one and only Bolger SUPER
                          BRICK.Where this gets confusing is with me reminding Bruce Hector of
                          his observation made while visiting my building site last summer
                          that,the building jig for WINDERMERE would make something of a giant
                          Brick.That is why I refered to this as the Ultimate Super
                          Brick,hoping not to have it mixed up with our Heros' work.
                          As to the Super Brick Challenge,in all fairness,the one built
                          closest to the plans AND having the best finish should win.This does
                          suggest that more then one would actually have to get built otherwise
                          there is no contest and the solo boat wins by default.Either
                          way,Bruce Hector would love to see and use one........me thinks!
                          I hope this helps disperse some of the mix up for you Bruce.

                          Sincerely,
                          Peter Lenihan,warming up for tomorrows expected return to my boat
                          building site in the boonies where Windermere awaits,if only in
                          pieces,for the return of some real screwing and glueing
                          sessions......heeeehaaaa.......

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <brucehallman@y...>

                          Message 12 of 23 , May 3, 2003
                            > would love to see and use one...

                            As would we all!

                            My recurring dream to build a
                            Superbrick keeps getting dashed
                            when I start doing the math, and
                            realize that for about the same
                            amount of work, I could build
                            an AS-29! I guess I need 'em both.

                            It doesn't hurt to dream.

                            Reality check please. Am I
                            wrong to believe that these
                            two boats are about the same
                            size and complexity? The big
                            difference is that one is
                            seaworthy and the other is
                            not?

                            [...thinking...]

                            Of course, both are 8 feet wide
                            and about 8 feet tall. One
                            is 19 feet long, and the other
                            29 feet long.

                            AS-29 tapers on both ends, and
                            Superbrick does not so they
                            both can have roughly the
                            same interior accomodations. I.E.
                            double berth, two single berths,
                            stand up galley, washroom, cabinets,
                            etc., The Superbrick does not taper
                            and that is how it crams in so much
                            in such a short length.
                          • andy wilson
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 3, 2003
                              My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build. Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat? Keep the 2ft deep sweep of the bottom and get a pretty fair sailing shape with 4ft high hull sides plus enough 2ft high cabin sides to promote self-righting. Water ballast if it was to be transportable or ferro cement if not,a la AS29. Go ahead and fiddle around with the outline and you will find it easy to get a transverse double back aft plus a standing room head and a galley amidships and two singles/setees forrard. Add self draining wells bow and stern for muddies and oilies plus easy boarding ability and don't forget full positive buoyancy. Add your choice of low unstayed rigs and masts in tabernacles. I would mount a single leeboard retained by a s/steel bar at the chine and pivot at a forrard bulkhead. Hey presto,enough seaworthy sailing house trailer to send cheaply anywhere on earth and be safe enough for short coastal hops between havens on a good forecast.I love 10 hp 4 strokes with large fine pitched props running throttled back. Amazing fuel economy.The big plus for such a square boat is the number of straight cuts and right angles which should be able to be pounded together quick n dirty yet still super-strong. All the built in furniture and panels just make it a giant egg crate....mmmm,not a bad name.Or Das Box I offer free moorings near Sydney to anybody gutsy enough to try it out. Carpe Diem guys, we aint around forever,how many more summers are you going to procrastinate? Andrew Wilson

                              Bruce Hallman <brucehallman@...> wrote:> would love to see and use one...

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                > My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
                                > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
                                > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

                                What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
                                buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

                                Peter
                              • Peter Lenihan
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                  Hi Peter,
                                  Nifty idea but I suspect that the whole Super Brick concept
                                  works as it does because it uses the built in interior furniture to
                                  render the hull structurally sound.In effect,the furniture is nothing
                                  more then oddly(but useful) shaped ribs,frames and bulkheads typical
                                  to most boats but very much needed in a box just to keep the flat
                                  straight panels,well...flat and straight:-)
                                  I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
                                  board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea or Home
                                  Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in units....

                                  Sincerely,
                                  Peter L.

                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:

                                  > What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure,
                                  and
                                  > buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?
                                  >
                                  > Peter
                                • pvanderwaart
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                    > I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
                                    > board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea
                                    > or Home Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in
                                    > units....

                                    I think particle board should be avoided. I was thinking of a metal-
                                    framed day-bed from Ikea.

                                    The SuperBrick framing might have to be changed. The question is how
                                    much more expensive is cheap store-bought stuff compared to homemade
                                    and custom fitted.

                                    Peter
                                  • Pete Hodges
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                      So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.
                                    • andy wilson
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                        I love this idea and confess to having resorted to such a ruse in a power cruiser. Everybody loved the result but knew that a sloppy carpenter such as me just HAD to have cheated and I had to 'fess up.Seriously,the interior furniture braces the hull and contributes lots of strength to wobbly ply panels. Pity Ikea isnt selling kit boats. Andy

                                        pvanderwaart <pvanderw@...> wrote:> My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
                                        > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
                                        > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

                                        What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
                                        buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

                                        Peter

                                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                        Bolger rules!!!

                                      • craig o'donnell
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                          >So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.

                                          I have one somewhere.
                                          --
                                          Craig O'Donnell
                                          Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

                                          -- Macintosh kinda guy
                                          Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
                                          _________________________________
                                          ---
                                        • Bruce Hector
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                            I've posted 3 screen shots of Richard Santa Coloma's beautiful
                                            virtual Superbrick in the photo section of Bolger3 in a album
                                            appropriately named Superbrick at
                                            http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bolger3/lst
                                            for your perusal.

                                            As to how close to plans does it have to be, I'd say if you can
                                            recognize it as a Superbrick from 100 yards away, it is one. You have
                                            to admit, she is soewhat, un-mistakable!

                                            Shanties, by their very nature, reflect thier builders rugged
                                            individualism more so than "ordinary" homemade boats.

                                            So as the Marx brother's might say:

                                            If it looks like a Superbrick, and it sails like a Superbrick, and it
                                            smells like a Superbrick, then ...... the builder gets my $100 as I
                                            step aboard with a case of good Canadian beer under my arm.

                                            All bets are in US funds, I hereby put up mine. Please email me off
                                            list and I post a running total on the list. Contributers must
                                            include a snail mail address and phone number for the collection
                                            agencies use.

                                            This is not a best built Superbrick challenge, it is a first built
                                            Superbrick challenge, to help ensure that this superb, thumb in the
                                            nose to "right-thinking" yachtsmen actually gets built). Winner is
                                            the first to launch and move on 3 points of sail under wind power
                                            alone a Bolger designed Superbrick, built close enough to plans to be
                                            recognized by the panel (me, so far, but I'll add any long term
                                            Bolgerista who'll accompany me to the "judging" (must bring his/her
                                            own beer).

                                            Bruce Hector
                                            http://www.brucesboats.com
                                            Who herewith disqualifies himself from the contest, even if I am
                                            crazy enuf to actually make a curvy, scrappy shanty on Peter
                                            Lenihan's strongback.
                                          • stephensonhw@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                              You will see plans for a Superbrick if you search Google Images on Bolger Superbrick.

                                              Howard