Re: Superbrick Challenge staus?

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 23 , May 2, 2003
      Bruce,
      With the bottom of Windermere expected to be flipped off its jig
      within the month, I would gladly donate my building jig to form the
      skeleton/ribs/backbone of ,what you suggested last summer,may be the
      Ultimate Super Brick! I figure 26 sheets of regular exterior ply
      covered in glass/epoxy will do for the hull.Perhaps the same quantity
      of ply for the deck,cabin and interior.All the ply would be 1/2".
      Imagine the site of a Brick 8' X 32',which sleeps 10,parties about
      20,floats in less then 2 feet of water.......the ultimate
      sailing/motoring/beaching party animal of all boats!
      Worse case scenario,she ends up as a fuel and parts depot for your
      Civilian Aircraft Carrier.
      The trick will be to find someone willing to come up to fetch the
      jig........

      Sincerely,
      Peter Lenihan,ripping with
      excitment to getting back to some serious WINDERMERE building,along
      the shores of the mighty St.Lawrence...........
    • Bruce Hector
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2003
        Now Peter,

        Don't get me started. What's the height at the centre of the jig? Got
        any pics? Being 8' wide, she could go on a flabed truck or trailler,
        yes? How much do you think it weighs, ie. would a crane be needed or
        could a small crew of beer swilling rustproofers on their day off
        lift it?

        Dammit anyways!

        Bruce Hectorhttp://www.brucesboats.com
        Could make a good gin barge for the wine and cheese party at the
        Kingston Messabout, no?
      • C O'Donnell
        Message 3 of 23 , May 2, 2003
          >Who was it that took this up last year? I and several others said
          >we'd award the first launcher of a Superbrick $100 US each on
          >completion to the first builder to help defray costs. Since then I've
          >heard nada!

          If you reiterate the terms of the prize (how many Challenge donors?)
          I will consider...
          ---
          Message 4 of 23 , May 2, 2003
            Has a Superbrick ever been built?
            I have not heard of one.

            I too, have a boat-building jones,
            for a Superbrick.

            I see it as a perfect marina cruiser.

            > a Superbrick $100 US each on
            > completion to the first builder
          • pvanderwaart
            Message 5 of 23 , May 2, 2003
              > I too, have a boat-building jones,
              > for a Superbrick.

              Personally, I won't settle for less than the liveaboard scow schooner.

              PHV
              Message 6 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                Re-reading PCB's chapter in BWAOM,
                I quote: "The interior and deck
                jointerwork is almost as expensive
                as those of a genuine boat...".

                This rings true to me, [presently in
                battle with the dresser drawer
                jointerwork in my Micro Navigator].
                All those funny angles and that detail
                work is proving difficult and time
                consuming!

                A Superbrick hull would be quick
                but the finish work would be slow,
                I predict.
              • Ken Locarnini
                Message 7 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                  Bolger faxed me that one was being built, but the builder never finished it....
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                    Hi Bruce,
                    The height in the center of the jig is just short of 4 feet or
                    least that is what I can recall here from a distance.She most
                    certainly can go onto a flatbed truck or trailer. I do noy know the
                    weight of the jig but there are about 40 odd 2"X4"X 8'pieces in her.I
                    am very confident that a total of 6 beer fueled maniacs or even 5 or 4
                    (!) could get her up on a flatbed. Now,just how those beer fueled
                    maniacs ever get back to the rustproofing shop and at what time is
                    impossible for me to say.
                    This Ultimate Super Brick would make a most respectable gin
                    platform at any messabout,even if she is not decked over and finished
                    at the time of the event.There would be lots of room to drop a Johnny-
                    On-The-Spot inside for the ladies.Over time,she could gradually have
                    her decks and interior cobbled together.In my minds eye,I see her as
                    something of a shanty-boat with lots of roofing tar used to keep her
                    seams water-tight and not a speck of varnish ANYWHERE. In fact,the
                    cheapest paint you could get would be just fine inside and out.She
                    would forever be"a work in progress" sort of critter.Getting a couple
                    of mast in her,like Bolgers scow schooner,with poly-tarp sails,would
                    be neat.To sail past the yacht basin in Kingston would be wild!!!The
                    whole crew would,of course,have to be dressed up as pirates with
                    strategically placed kegs to minimize sore throats from the expected
                    whooping and hollering.......
                    See what you've gone and done now Bruce? Even I am getting a
                    wee bit excited with all sorts of "visions" of racing-down-the-hill-
                    out-of-control-with-no-brakes fun!Yikes!!
                    Sincerely,

                    Peter Lenihan,who will put off dismantling the jig until further
                    notice,from the shores of the St.Lawrence..............

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@h...>
                    wrote:
                    > Now Peter,
                    >
                    > Don't get me started. What's the height at the centre of the jig?
                    Got
                    > any pics? Being 8' wide, she could go on a flabed truck or
                    trailler,
                    > yes? How much do you think it weighs, ie. would a crane be needed
                    or
                    > could a small crew of beer swilling rustproofers on their day off
                    > lift it?
                    >
                    > Dammit anyways!
                    >
                    > Bruce Hectorhttp://www.brucesboats.com
                    > Could make a good gin barge for the wine and cheese party at the
                    > Kingston Messabout, no?
                  • C O'Donnell
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                      >Bolger faxed me that one was being built, but the builder never
                      >finished it....

                      Yes, but what's the sum in the pot for the Challenge?
                      ---
                    • David Romasco
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                        Ah Peter, it's GOOD to have you back....

                        David Romasco

                        wrote:
                        > Now Peter,
                        >
                        > Don't get me started. What's the height at the centre of the jig?
                        Got
                        > any pics? Being 8' wide, she could go on a flabed truck or
                        trailler,
                        > yes? How much do you think it weighs, ie. would a crane be needed
                        or
                        > could a small crew of beer swilling rustproofers on their day off
                        > lift it?
                        >
                        > Dammit anyways!
                        >
                        > Bruce Hectorhttp://www.brucesboats.com
                        > Could make a good gin barge for the wine and cheese party at the
                        > Kingston Messabout, no?

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050657
                        91:HM/A=1554463/R=4/id=noscript/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?p
                        roflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                        065791:HM/A=1554463/R=5/1051901027+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.pr
                        oflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/freevase/index.cfm%3
                        FREF=FGVYahooEgroupsLRECgif>

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupmai
                        l/S=:HM/A=1554463/rand=520334845>

                        Bolger rules!!!
                        01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                          --- "Peter Lenihan" wrote:

                          > She would forever be "a work
                          > in progress" sort of critter.

                          I can see a controversy in
                          judging this Superbrick
                          Challenge.

                          How close should the Superbrick
                          match PCB's design?

                          On one hand, she *is* a shanty boat,
                          which by tradition are cobbled
                          together from salvaged materials
                          and remain always "a work in progress"

                          ...but on the other hand, building
                          her *true* to PCB's plans seems the
                          correct thing to do, with respect to
                          his genius.
                        • Peter Lenihan
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                            Hi Bruce,
                            I am guilty of perhaps confusing things with my crazy post.
                            Bruce Hector was,of course,refering to the one and only Bolger SUPER
                            BRICK.Where this gets confusing is with me reminding Bruce Hector of
                            his observation made while visiting my building site last summer
                            that,the building jig for WINDERMERE would make something of a giant
                            Brick.That is why I refered to this as the Ultimate Super
                            Brick,hoping not to have it mixed up with our Heros' work.
                            As to the Super Brick Challenge,in all fairness,the one built
                            closest to the plans AND having the best finish should win.This does
                            suggest that more then one would actually have to get built otherwise
                            there is no contest and the solo boat wins by default.Either
                            way,Bruce Hector would love to see and use one........me thinks!
                            I hope this helps disperse some of the mix up for you Bruce.

                            Sincerely,
                            Peter Lenihan,warming up for tomorrows expected return to my boat
                            building site in the boonies where Windermere awaits,if only in
                            pieces,for the return of some real screwing and glueing
                            sessions......heeeehaaaa.......

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <brucehallman@y...>

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 3, 2003
                              > would love to see and use one...

                              As would we all!

                              My recurring dream to build a
                              Superbrick keeps getting dashed
                              when I start doing the math, and
                              realize that for about the same
                              amount of work, I could build
                              an AS-29! I guess I need 'em both.

                              It doesn't hurt to dream.

                              Reality check please. Am I
                              wrong to believe that these
                              two boats are about the same
                              size and complexity? The big
                              difference is that one is
                              seaworthy and the other is
                              not?

                              [...thinking...]

                              Of course, both are 8 feet wide
                              and about 8 feet tall. One
                              is 19 feet long, and the other
                              29 feet long.

                              AS-29 tapers on both ends, and
                              Superbrick does not so they
                              both can have roughly the
                              same interior accomodations. I.E.
                              double berth, two single berths,
                              stand up galley, washroom, cabinets,
                              etc., The Superbrick does not taper
                              and that is how it crams in so much
                              in such a short length.
                            • andy wilson
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 3, 2003
                                My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build. Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat? Keep the 2ft deep sweep of the bottom and get a pretty fair sailing shape with 4ft high hull sides plus enough 2ft high cabin sides to promote self-righting. Water ballast if it was to be transportable or ferro cement if not,a la AS29. Go ahead and fiddle around with the outline and you will find it easy to get a transverse double back aft plus a standing room head and a galley amidships and two singles/setees forrard. Add self draining wells bow and stern for muddies and oilies plus easy boarding ability and don't forget full positive buoyancy. Add your choice of low unstayed rigs and masts in tabernacles. I would mount a single leeboard retained by a s/steel bar at the chine and pivot at a forrard bulkhead. Hey presto,enough seaworthy sailing house trailer to send cheaply anywhere on earth and be safe enough for short coastal hops between havens on a good forecast.I love 10 hp 4 strokes with large fine pitched props running throttled back. Amazing fuel economy.The big plus for such a square boat is the number of straight cuts and right angles which should be able to be pounded together quick n dirty yet still super-strong. All the built in furniture and panels just make it a giant egg crate....mmmm,not a bad name.Or Das Box I offer free moorings near Sydney to anybody gutsy enough to try it out. Carpe Diem guys, we aint around forever,how many more summers are you going to procrastinate? Andrew Wilson

                                Bruce Hallman <brucehallman@...> wrote:> would love to see and use one...

                                Message 15 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                  > My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
                                  > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
                                  > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

                                  What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
                                  buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

                                  Peter
                                • Peter Lenihan
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                    Hi Peter,
                                    Nifty idea but I suspect that the whole Super Brick concept
                                    works as it does because it uses the built in interior furniture to
                                    render the hull structurally sound.In effect,the furniture is nothing
                                    more then oddly(but useful) shaped ribs,frames and bulkheads typical
                                    to most boats but very much needed in a box just to keep the flat
                                    straight panels,well...flat and straight:-)
                                    I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
                                    board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea or Home
                                    Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in units....

                                    Sincerely,
                                    Peter L.

                                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:

                                    > What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure,
                                    and
                                    > buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?
                                    >
                                    > Peter
                                  • pvanderwaart
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                      > I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
                                      > board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea
                                      > or Home Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in
                                      > units....

                                      I think particle board should be avoided. I was thinking of a metal-
                                      framed day-bed from Ikea.

                                      The SuperBrick framing might have to be changed. The question is how
                                      much more expensive is cheap store-bought stuff compared to homemade
                                      and custom fitted.

                                      Peter
                                    • Pete Hodges
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                        So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.
                                      • andy wilson
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                          I love this idea and confess to having resorted to such a ruse in a power cruiser. Everybody loved the result but knew that a sloppy carpenter such as me just HAD to have cheated and I had to 'fess up.Seriously,the interior furniture braces the hull and contributes lots of strength to wobbly ply panels. Pity Ikea isnt selling kit boats. Andy

                                          pvanderwaart <pvanderw@...> wrote:> My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
                                          > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
                                          > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

                                          What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
                                          buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

                                          Peter

                                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                          Bolger rules!!!

                                        • craig o'donnell
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                            >So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.

                                            I have one somewhere.
                                            --
                                            Craig O'Donnell
                                            Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

                                            -- Macintosh kinda guy
                                            Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
                                            _________________________________
                                            ---
                                          • Bruce Hector
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                              I've posted 3 screen shots of Richard Santa Coloma's beautiful
                                              virtual Superbrick in the photo section of Bolger3 in a album
                                              appropriately named Superbrick at
                                              http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bolger3/lst
                                              for your perusal.

                                              As to how close to plans does it have to be, I'd say if you can
                                              recognize it as a Superbrick from 100 yards away, it is one. You have
                                              to admit, she is soewhat, un-mistakable!

                                              Shanties, by their very nature, reflect thier builders rugged
                                              individualism more so than "ordinary" homemade boats.

                                              So as the Marx brother's might say:

                                              If it looks like a Superbrick, and it sails like a Superbrick, and it
                                              smells like a Superbrick, then ...... the builder gets my $100 as I
                                              step aboard with a case of good Canadian beer under my arm.

                                              All bets are in US funds, I hereby put up mine. Please email me off
                                              list and I post a running total on the list. Contributers must
                                              include a snail mail address and phone number for the collection
                                              agencies use.

                                              This is not a best built Superbrick challenge, it is a first built
                                              Superbrick challenge, to help ensure that this superb, thumb in the
                                              nose to "right-thinking" yachtsmen actually gets built). Winner is
                                              the first to launch and move on 3 points of sail under wind power
                                              alone a Bolger designed Superbrick, built close enough to plans to be
                                              recognized by the panel (me, so far, but I'll add any long term
                                              Bolgerista who'll accompany me to the "judging" (must bring his/her
                                              own beer).

                                              Bruce Hector
                                              http://www.brucesboats.com
                                              Who herewith disqualifies himself from the contest, even if I am
                                              crazy enuf to actually make a curvy, scrappy shanty on Peter
                                              Lenihan's strongback.
                                            • stephensonhw@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                                You will see plans for a Superbrick if you search Google Images on Bolger Superbrick.

                                                Howard