Superbrick Challenge staus?

  • Bruce Hector
    Message 1 of 23 , May 2, 2003
      Who was it that took this up last year? I and several others said
      we'd award the first launcher of a Superbrick $100 US each on
      completion to the first builder to help defray costs. Since then I've
      heard nada!

      Not being immune to the insanity myself I quite understand if
      the "succesful bidder" decided to back out, but I was wondering about
      it.
      I'd go a long way to see a
      Superbrick. (This from someone who drove 3000 miles to see Reddy the
      Micro Trawler and 2500 to see Chuck's Caprice!)

      I've learned that just because something can be done, is no reason to
      do it, to whit Civilian Aircraft Carriers. But I'd love to have a
      looksee and/or ride in a SB.

      Bruce Hector
      http://www.brucesboats.com
      Where I everything, except a visiting Superbrick, can be found out
      about the September Kingston
      Messabout.
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2003
        Bruce,
        With the bottom of Windermere expected to be flipped off its jig
        within the month, I would gladly donate my building jig to form the
        skeleton/ribs/backbone of ,what you suggested last summer,may be the
        Ultimate Super Brick! I figure 26 sheets of regular exterior ply
        covered in glass/epoxy will do for the hull.Perhaps the same quantity
        of ply for the deck,cabin and interior.All the ply would be 1/2".
        Imagine the site of a Brick 8' X 32',which sleeps 10,parties about
        20,floats in less then 2 feet of water.......the ultimate
        sailing/motoring/beaching party animal of all boats!
        Worse case scenario,she ends up as a fuel and parts depot for your
        Civilian Aircraft Carrier.
        The trick will be to find someone willing to come up to fetch the
        jig........

        Sincerely,
        Peter Lenihan,ripping with
        excitment to getting back to some serious WINDERMERE building,along
        the shores of the mighty St.Lawrence...........
      • Bruce Hector
        Message 3 of 23 , May 2, 2003
          Now Peter,

          Don't get me started. What's the height at the centre of the jig? Got
          any pics? Being 8' wide, she could go on a flabed truck or trailler,
          yes? How much do you think it weighs, ie. would a crane be needed or
          could a small crew of beer swilling rustproofers on their day off
          lift it?

          Dammit anyways!

          Bruce Hectorhttp://www.brucesboats.com
          Could make a good gin barge for the wine and cheese party at the
          Kingston Messabout, no?
        • C O'Donnell
          Message 4 of 23 , May 2, 2003
            >Who was it that took this up last year? I and several others said
            >we'd award the first launcher of a Superbrick $100 US each on
            >completion to the first builder to help defray costs. Since then I've
            >heard nada!

            If you reiterate the terms of the prize (how many Challenge donors?)
            I will consider...
            ---
            Message 5 of 23 , May 2, 2003
              Has a Superbrick ever been built?
              I have not heard of one.

              I too, have a boat-building jones,
              for a Superbrick.

              I see it as a perfect marina cruiser.

              > a Superbrick $100 US each on
              > completion to the first builder
            • pvanderwaart
              Message 6 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                > I too, have a boat-building jones,
                > for a Superbrick.

                Personally, I won't settle for less than the liveaboard scow schooner.

                PHV
                Message 7 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                  Re-reading PCB's chapter in BWAOM,
                  I quote: "The interior and deck
                  jointerwork is almost as expensive
                  as those of a genuine boat...".

                  This rings true to me, [presently in
                  battle with the dresser drawer
                  jointerwork in my Micro Navigator].
                  All those funny angles and that detail
                  work is proving difficult and time
                  consuming!

                  A Superbrick hull would be quick
                  but the finish work would be slow,
                  I predict.
                • Ken Locarnini
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                    Bolger faxed me that one was being built, but the builder never finished it....
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                      Hi Bruce,
                      The height in the center of the jig is just short of 4 feet or
                      least that is what I can recall here from a distance.She most
                      certainly can go onto a flatbed truck or trailer. I do noy know the
                      weight of the jig but there are about 40 odd 2"X4"X 8'pieces in her.I
                      am very confident that a total of 6 beer fueled maniacs or even 5 or 4
                      (!) could get her up on a flatbed. Now,just how those beer fueled
                      maniacs ever get back to the rustproofing shop and at what time is
                      impossible for me to say.
                      This Ultimate Super Brick would make a most respectable gin
                      platform at any messabout,even if she is not decked over and finished
                      at the time of the event.There would be lots of room to drop a Johnny-
                      On-The-Spot inside for the ladies.Over time,she could gradually have
                      her decks and interior cobbled together.In my minds eye,I see her as
                      something of a shanty-boat with lots of roofing tar used to keep her
                      seams water-tight and not a speck of varnish ANYWHERE. In fact,the
                      cheapest paint you could get would be just fine inside and out.She
                      would forever be"a work in progress" sort of critter.Getting a couple
                      of mast in her,like Bolgers scow schooner,with poly-tarp sails,would
                      be neat.To sail past the yacht basin in Kingston would be wild!!!The
                      whole crew would,of course,have to be dressed up as pirates with
                      strategically placed kegs to minimize sore throats from the expected
                      whooping and hollering.......
                      See what you've gone and done now Bruce? Even I am getting a
                      wee bit excited with all sorts of "visions" of racing-down-the-hill-
                      out-of-control-with-no-brakes fun!Yikes!!
                      Sincerely,

                      Peter Lenihan,who will put off dismantling the jig until further
                      notice,from the shores of the St.Lawrence..............

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector" <bruce_hector@h...>
                      wrote:
                      > Now Peter,
                      >
                      > Don't get me started. What's the height at the centre of the jig?
                      Got
                      > any pics? Being 8' wide, she could go on a flabed truck or
                      trailler,
                      > yes? How much do you think it weighs, ie. would a crane be needed
                      or
                      > could a small crew of beer swilling rustproofers on their day off
                      > lift it?
                      >
                      > Dammit anyways!
                      >
                      > Bruce Hectorhttp://www.brucesboats.com
                      > Could make a good gin barge for the wine and cheese party at the
                      > Kingston Messabout, no?
                    • C O'Donnell
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                        >Bolger faxed me that one was being built, but the builder never
                        >finished it....

                        Yes, but what's the sum in the pot for the Challenge?
                        ---
                      • David Romasco
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                          Ah Peter, it's GOOD to have you back....

                          David Romasco

                          wrote:
                          > Now Peter,
                          >
                          > Don't get me started. What's the height at the centre of the jig?
                          Got
                          > any pics? Being 8' wide, she could go on a flabed truck or
                          trailler,
                          > yes? How much do you think it weighs, ie. would a crane be needed
                          or
                          > could a small crew of beer swilling rustproofers on their day off
                          > lift it?
                          >
                          > Dammit anyways!
                          >
                          > Bruce Hectorhttp://www.brucesboats.com
                          > Could make a good gin barge for the wine and cheese party at the
                          > Kingston Messabout, no?

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050657
                          91:HM/A=1554463/R=4/id=noscript/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?p
                          roflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                          065791:HM/A=1554463/R=5/1051901027+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.pr
                          oflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/freevase/index.cfm%3
                          FREF=FGVYahooEgroupsLRECgif>

                          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupmai
                          l/S=:HM/A=1554463/rand=520334845>

                          Bolger rules!!!
                          01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                          Message 12 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                            --- "Peter Lenihan" wrote:

                            > She would forever be "a work
                            > in progress" sort of critter.

                            I can see a controversy in
                            judging this Superbrick
                            Challenge.

                            How close should the Superbrick
                            match PCB's design?

                            On one hand, she *is* a shanty boat,
                            which by tradition are cobbled
                            together from salvaged materials
                            and remain always "a work in progress"

                            ...but on the other hand, building
                            her *true* to PCB's plans seems the
                            correct thing to do, with respect to
                            his genius.
                          • Peter Lenihan
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 2, 2003
                              Hi Bruce,
                              I am guilty of perhaps confusing things with my crazy post.
                              Bruce Hector was,of course,refering to the one and only Bolger SUPER
                              BRICK.Where this gets confusing is with me reminding Bruce Hector of
                              his observation made while visiting my building site last summer
                              that,the building jig for WINDERMERE would make something of a giant
                              Brick.That is why I refered to this as the Ultimate Super
                              Brick,hoping not to have it mixed up with our Heros' work.
                              As to the Super Brick Challenge,in all fairness,the one built
                              closest to the plans AND having the best finish should win.This does
                              suggest that more then one would actually have to get built otherwise
                              there is no contest and the solo boat wins by default.Either
                              way,Bruce Hector would love to see and use one........me thinks!
                              I hope this helps disperse some of the mix up for you Bruce.

                              Sincerely,
                              Peter Lenihan,warming up for tomorrows expected return to my boat
                              building site in the boonies where Windermere awaits,if only in
                              pieces,for the return of some real screwing and glueing
                              sessions......heeeehaaaa.......

                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <brucehallman@y...>

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 3, 2003
                                > would love to see and use one...

                                As would we all!

                                My recurring dream to build a
                                Superbrick keeps getting dashed
                                when I start doing the math, and
                                realize that for about the same
                                amount of work, I could build
                                an AS-29! I guess I need 'em both.

                                It doesn't hurt to dream.

                                Reality check please. Am I
                                wrong to believe that these
                                two boats are about the same
                                size and complexity? The big
                                difference is that one is
                                seaworthy and the other is
                                not?

                                [...thinking...]

                                Of course, both are 8 feet wide
                                and about 8 feet tall. One
                                is 19 feet long, and the other
                                29 feet long.

                                AS-29 tapers on both ends, and
                                Superbrick does not so they
                                both can have roughly the
                                same interior accomodations. I.E.
                                double berth, two single berths,
                                stand up galley, washroom, cabinets,
                                etc., The Superbrick does not taper
                                and that is how it crams in so much
                                in such a short length.
                              • andy wilson
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 3, 2003
                                  My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build. Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat? Keep the 2ft deep sweep of the bottom and get a pretty fair sailing shape with 4ft high hull sides plus enough 2ft high cabin sides to promote self-righting. Water ballast if it was to be transportable or ferro cement if not,a la AS29. Go ahead and fiddle around with the outline and you will find it easy to get a transverse double back aft plus a standing room head and a galley amidships and two singles/setees forrard. Add self draining wells bow and stern for muddies and oilies plus easy boarding ability and don't forget full positive buoyancy. Add your choice of low unstayed rigs and masts in tabernacles. I would mount a single leeboard retained by a s/steel bar at the chine and pivot at a forrard bulkhead. Hey presto,enough seaworthy sailing house trailer to send cheaply anywhere on earth and be safe enough for short coastal hops between havens on a good forecast.I love 10 hp 4 strokes with large fine pitched props running throttled back. Amazing fuel economy.The big plus for such a square boat is the number of straight cuts and right angles which should be able to be pounded together quick n dirty yet still super-strong. All the built in furniture and panels just make it a giant egg crate....mmmm,not a bad name.Or Das Box I offer free moorings near Sydney to anybody gutsy enough to try it out. Carpe Diem guys, we aint around forever,how many more summers are you going to procrastinate? Andrew Wilson

                                  Bruce Hallman <brucehallman@...> wrote:> would love to see and use one...

                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                    > My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
                                    > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
                                    > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

                                    What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
                                    buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

                                    Peter
                                  • Peter Lenihan
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                      Hi Peter,
                                      Nifty idea but I suspect that the whole Super Brick concept
                                      works as it does because it uses the built in interior furniture to
                                      render the hull structurally sound.In effect,the furniture is nothing
                                      more then oddly(but useful) shaped ribs,frames and bulkheads typical
                                      to most boats but very much needed in a box just to keep the flat
                                      straight panels,well...flat and straight:-)
                                      I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
                                      board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea or Home
                                      Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in units....

                                      Sincerely,
                                      Peter L.

                                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:

                                      > What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure,
                                      and
                                      > buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?
                                      >
                                      > Peter
                                    • pvanderwaart
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                        > I wouldn't want to depend on fastenings put into the particle
                                        > board melamine junk that passes as furniture from either Ikea
                                        > or Home Depot unless it is to be used as non-structural fit-in
                                        > units....

                                        I think particle board should be avoided. I was thinking of a metal-
                                        framed day-bed from Ikea.

                                        The SuperBrick framing might have to be changed. The question is how
                                        much more expensive is cheap store-bought stuff compared to homemade
                                        and custom fitted.

                                        Peter
                                      • Pete Hodges
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                          So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.
                                        • andy wilson
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                            I love this idea and confess to having resorted to such a ruse in a power cruiser. Everybody loved the result but knew that a sloppy carpenter such as me just HAD to have cheated and I had to 'fess up.Seriously,the interior furniture braces the hull and contributes lots of strength to wobbly ply panels. Pity Ikea isnt selling kit boats. Andy

                                            pvanderwaart <pvanderw@...> wrote:> My AS 29 looks like a heap more work than a Super Brick to build.
                                            > Why not stretch the SB concept to fit a 20ft shipping container and
                                            > end up with just under 20 x 8ft of sailing houseboat?

                                            What if you build the SuperBrick without the interior structure, and
                                            buy the interior from Ikea and Home Depot?

                                            Peter

                                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                            Bolger rules!!!

                                          • craig o'donnell
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                              >So where is a picture or sketch of a super brick.

                                              I have one somewhere.
                                              --
                                              Craig O'Donnell
                                              Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

                                              -- Macintosh kinda guy
                                              Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
                                              _________________________________
                                              ---
                                            • Bruce Hector
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                                I've posted 3 screen shots of Richard Santa Coloma's beautiful
                                                virtual Superbrick in the photo section of Bolger3 in a album
                                                appropriately named Superbrick at
                                                http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bolger3/lst
                                                for your perusal.

                                                As to how close to plans does it have to be, I'd say if you can
                                                recognize it as a Superbrick from 100 yards away, it is one. You have
                                                to admit, she is soewhat, un-mistakable!

                                                Shanties, by their very nature, reflect thier builders rugged
                                                individualism more so than "ordinary" homemade boats.

                                                So as the Marx brother's might say:

                                                If it looks like a Superbrick, and it sails like a Superbrick, and it
                                                smells like a Superbrick, then ...... the builder gets my $100 as I
                                                step aboard with a case of good Canadian beer under my arm.

                                                All bets are in US funds, I hereby put up mine. Please email me off
                                                list and I post a running total on the list. Contributers must
                                                include a snail mail address and phone number for the collection
                                                agencies use.

                                                This is not a best built Superbrick challenge, it is a first built
                                                Superbrick challenge, to help ensure that this superb, thumb in the
                                                nose to "right-thinking" yachtsmen actually gets built). Winner is
                                                the first to launch and move on 3 points of sail under wind power
                                                alone a Bolger designed Superbrick, built close enough to plans to be
                                                recognized by the panel (me, so far, but I'll add any long term
                                                Bolgerista who'll accompany me to the "judging" (must bring his/her
                                                own beer).

                                                Bruce Hector
                                                http://www.brucesboats.com
                                                Who herewith disqualifies himself from the contest, even if I am
                                                crazy enuf to actually make a curvy, scrappy shanty on Peter
                                                Lenihan's strongback.
                                              • stephensonhw@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 4, 2003
                                                  You will see plans for a Superbrick if you search Google Images on Bolger Superbrick.

                                                  Howard