Next boat???

  • ibelucky2002
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 28, 2003
      I just compleated a Bolger nymph and am glad I did (third bilge panel
      actually was usable and the fourth turned out quite well). The
      experience I've gained will help a lot now that - much to my wife's
      dismay - I have been bitten by the boat building bug. I am looking
      for a day sailer to build before I go nuts and try a micro, chebacco,
      or maybe an AF4. I like the bolger/payson sharpies and can't decide
      between a surf, june bug, and windsprint. I have three kids (6,9,12 -
      great sanding team) and am looking for something I can take out on
      the lake with the family and a picnic lunch. I have been leaning
      towards the windsprint due to its size but all the info I have seen
      makes me think it might not be as stable as I might want.

      I helped build a teal a long time ago and think any of these three
      will probably be easier than bending the plywood on the nymph. Any
      insight would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Doug
    • byb6161
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 28, 2003
        I built the surf back in the 80s never have taken it out but it went
        together great. on the other hand it is pretty much a two person
        boat
        jeffery

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ibelucky2002"
        <daysatnight@h...> wrote:
        > I just compleated a Bolger nymph and am glad I did (third bilge
        panel
        > actually was usable and the fourth turned out quite well). The
        > experience I've gained will help a lot now that - much to my
        wife's
        > dismay - I have been bitten by the boat building bug. I am
        looking
        > for a day sailer to build before I go nuts and try a micro,
        chebacco,
        > or maybe an AF4. I like the bolger/payson sharpies and can't
        decide
        > between a surf, june bug, and windsprint. I have three kids
        (6,9,12 -
        > great sanding team) and am looking for something I can take
        out on
        > the lake with the family and a picnic lunch. I have been leaning
        > towards the windsprint due to its size but all the info I have
        seen
        > makes me think it might not be as stable as I might want.
        >
        > I helped build a teal a long time ago and think any of these
        three
        > will probably be easier than bending the plywood on the
        nymph. Any
        > insight would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Doug
      • Mark A.
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 29, 2003
          Doug,

          What info led you to believe the Windsprint was less stable than you'd like? While the big
          rig may be too much in a breeze shorthanded, with that many crew you probably need it for
          satisfying speed.

          Reef it down or use the smaller Instant Boat rig. It has a lot more welcome sprawl space
          than either of the other small sharpies you mention.

          Mark

          ibelucky2002 wrote:

          > I just compleated a Bolger nymph and am glad I did (third bilge panel
          > actually was usable and the fourth turned out quite well). The
          > experience I've gained will help a lot now that - much to my wife's
          > dismay - I have been bitten by the boat building bug. I am looking
          > for a day sailer to build before I go nuts and try a micro, chebacco,
          > or maybe an AF4. I like the bolger/payson sharpies and can't decide
          > between a surf, june bug, and windsprint. I have three kids (6,9,12 -
          > great sanding team) and am looking for something I can take out on
          > the lake with the family and a picnic lunch. I have been leaning
          > towards the windsprint due to its size but all the info I have seen
          > makes me think it might not be as stable as I might want.
          >
          > I helped build a teal a long time ago and think any of these three
          > will probably be easier than bending the plywood on the nymph. Any
          > insight would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Doug
        • ibelucky2002
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 29, 2003
            I've found a couple sites where builders have commented that more
            floatation was added and would recommend adding substantial amounts
            to any prospective builders. They also commented that she went over
            pretty easy but I'm not sure if that would be the case if I had a
            full load of live ballast. The article I read at duckworks even
            decided to add pontoons and turned it into a trimaran.

            I like the layout and ease at which the parts can be cut out - that's
            the part of boat building I don't enjoy - but the first time I get my
            wife wet is likely the last time I get her wet lol.

            Any thoughts on other designs would also be appreciated.

            Thanks for the input.

            Doug
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mark A." <marka@h...> wrote:
            > Doug,
            >
            > What info led you to believe the Windsprint was less stable than
            you'd like? While the big
            > rig may be too much in a breeze shorthanded, with that many crew
            you probably need it for
            > satisfying speed.
            >
            > Reef it down or use the smaller Instant Boat rig. It has a lot more
            welcome sprawl space
            > than either of the other small sharpies you mention.
            >
            > Mark
            >
            > ibelucky2002 wrote:
            > >
            > > I just compleated a Bolger nymph and am glad I did (third bilge
            panel
            > > actually was usable and the fourth turned out quite well). The
            > > experience I've gained will help a lot now that - much to my
            wife's
            > > dismay - I have been bitten by the boat building bug. I am
            looking
            > > for a day sailer to build before I go nuts and try a micro,
            chebacco,
            > > or maybe an AF4. I like the bolger/payson sharpies and can't
            decide
            > > between a surf, june bug, and windsprint. I have three kids
            (6,9,12 -
            > > great sanding team) and am looking for something I can take out
            on
            > > the lake with the family and a picnic lunch. I have been leaning
            > > towards the windsprint due to its size but all the info I have
            seen
            > > makes me think it might not be as stable as I might want.
            > >
            > > I helped build a teal a long time ago and think any of these three
            > > will probably be easier than bending the plywood on the nymph.
            Any
            > > insight would be greatly appreciated.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Doug
          • ibelucky2002
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 29, 2003
              I've found a couple sites where builders have commented that more
              floatation was added and would recommend adding substantial amounts
              to any prospective builders. They also commented that she went over
              pretty easy but I'm not sure if that would be the case if I had a
              full load of live ballast. The article I read at duckworks even
              decided to add pontoons and turned it into a trimaran.

              I like the layout and ease at which the parts can be cut out - that's
              the part of boat building I don't enjoy - but the first time I get my
              wife wet is likely the last time I get her wet lol.

              Any thoughts on other designs would also be appreciated.

              Thanks for the input.

              Doug
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mark A." <marka@h...> wrote:
              > Doug,
              >
              > What info led you to believe the Windsprint was less stable than
              you'd like? While the big
              > rig may be too much in a breeze shorthanded, with that many crew
              you probably need it for
              > satisfying speed.
              >
              > Reef it down or use the smaller Instant Boat rig. It has a lot more
              welcome sprawl space
              > than either of the other small sharpies you mention.
              >
              > Mark
              >
              > ibelucky2002 wrote:
              > >
              > > I just compleated a Bolger nymph and am glad I did (third bilge
              panel
              > > actually was usable and the fourth turned out quite well). The
              > > experience I've gained will help a lot now that - much to my
              wife's
              > > dismay - I have been bitten by the boat building bug. I am
              looking
              > > for a day sailer to build before I go nuts and try a micro,
              chebacco,
              > > or maybe an AF4. I like the bolger/payson sharpies and can't
              decide
              > > between a surf, june bug, and windsprint. I have three kids
              (6,9,12 -
              > > great sanding team) and am looking for something I can take out
              on
              > > the lake with the family and a picnic lunch. I have been leaning
              > > towards the windsprint due to its size but all the info I have
              seen
              > > makes me think it might not be as stable as I might want.
              > >
              > > I helped build a teal a long time ago and think any of these three
              > > will probably be easier than bending the plywood on the nymph.
              Any
              > > insight would be greatly appreciated.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > Doug
            • Hannes
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 30, 2003
                I'd second that - but maybe zephyr, surfs bigger sister may fit the
                bill. I've sailed mine with 3 people, and there is space for one more,
                if he's light.
                or take a look at dave carnells 200$ sailboat - definitely space for
                four and more stable than zephyr

                hannes

                On 29 Apr 2003, at 4:08, byb6161 wrote:

                > I built the surf back in the 80s never have taken it out but it went
                > together great. on the other hand it is pretty much a two person boat
                > jeffery
                >
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ibelucky2002"
                > <daysatnight@h...> wrote:
                > decide
                > > between a surf, june bug, and windsprint. I have three kids
                > (6,9,12 -
                > > great sanding team) and am looking for something I can take
                > out on
                > > the lake with the family and a picnic lunch. I have been leaning
              • David Ryan
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 30, 2003
                  Check out the picture in 'Instant Boats' of Payson in his Zephyr with
                  three young'uns and it will be abundantly clear that the Zypher is
                  the boat you seek. No lofting curves on the side panel either!

                  -D

                  --

                  C.E.P.
                  415 W.46th Street
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 30, 2003
                    I still think Zephyr should be rigged as a schooner, may a lateen
                    schooner. - Peter
                  • David Ryan
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 30, 2003
                      I think that's called the Singlehanded, or His & Hers Schooner