Re: Finishing off Surf question

  • vicskiff
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
      Col, I taped my Surf butt joints inside and out (no wooden butt
      blocks) and otherwise applied just one coat of epoxy (inside and out)
      so I'm afraid my experience isn't particulary relevant in this
      regard. Sorry.

      John

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "micro2001au" <mooneycolin@d...> wrote:

      > Hi group,
      > In the rush to get my Surf ready for painting I coated the sides
      with
      > their 3 coats of epoxy, and covered the join in the 2 sheets with
      > fairing compound. (cabosil) Then I realised that I probably should
      > have covered the join with a strip of fibreglass tape. Is it vital
      > that the outside join be taped? All seems strong and fair at this
      > stage with a large butt strap on the inside, but I'd hate a crack
      > appear within 12 months.
      >
      > Col
    • David Ryan
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2003
        >Hi group,
        >In the rush to get my Surf ready for painting I coated the sides with
        >their 3 coats of epoxy, and covered the join in the 2 sheets with
        >fairing compound. (cabosil) Then I realised that I probably should
        >have covered the join with a strip of fibreglass tape. Is it vital
        >that the outside join be taped? All seems strong and fair at this
        >stage with a large butt strap on the inside, but I'd hate a crack to
        >appear within 12 months.

        I did not tape the joins on my Teal. It's been three years outside
        and no cracks yet.

        If I were you, I'd tape it!

        -D
        --

        C.E.P.
        415 W.46th Street
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2003
          Using a epoxy glued plywood butt strap on the inside is sufficent.
          Many boats are built that way. Strong and simple. I don't think you
          need the tape on the outside. It seems to me from my continual
          reading of designer's plans, groups, Duckwork's, etc. that there are
          three acceptable ways of making long panels out of plywood:

          1. Butt strap on one side. Epoxy with a little filler used as glue.
          2. Fiberglass tape on both sides. Epoxy glued.
          3. Scarphing. Epoxy (and maybe resourcinal) glued.