Re: [bolger] Finishing off Surf question

  • Derek Waters
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hi Col

      >> I'd hate a crack to appear within 12 months. <<

      Tape it. It will never fall apart as is, but you might get a cosmetic crack.
      Tape will deal with that.
      Just my two cents...

      cheers
      Derek
    • vicskiff
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
        Col, I taped my Surf butt joints inside and out (no wooden butt
        blocks) and otherwise applied just one coat of epoxy (inside and out)
        so I'm afraid my experience isn't particulary relevant in this
        regard. Sorry.

        John

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "micro2001au" <mooneycolin@d...> wrote:

        > Hi group,
        > In the rush to get my Surf ready for painting I coated the sides
        with
        > their 3 coats of epoxy, and covered the join in the 2 sheets with
        > fairing compound. (cabosil) Then I realised that I probably should
        > have covered the join with a strip of fibreglass tape. Is it vital
        > that the outside join be taped? All seems strong and fair at this
        > stage with a large butt strap on the inside, but I'd hate a crack
        > appear within 12 months.
        >
        > Col
      • David Ryan
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2003
          >Hi group,
          >In the rush to get my Surf ready for painting I coated the sides with
          >their 3 coats of epoxy, and covered the join in the 2 sheets with
          >fairing compound. (cabosil) Then I realised that I probably should
          >have covered the join with a strip of fibreglass tape. Is it vital
          >that the outside join be taped? All seems strong and fair at this
          >stage with a large butt strap on the inside, but I'd hate a crack to
          >appear within 12 months.

          I did not tape the joins on my Teal. It's been three years outside
          and no cracks yet.

          If I were you, I'd tape it!

          -D
          --

          C.E.P.
          415 W.46th Street
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2003
            Using a epoxy glued plywood butt strap on the inside is sufficent.
            Many boats are built that way. Strong and simple. I don't think you
            need the tape on the outside. It seems to me from my continual
            reading of designer's plans, groups, Duckwork's, etc. that there are
            three acceptable ways of making long panels out of plywood:

            1. Butt strap on one side. Epoxy with a little filler used as glue.
            2. Fiberglass tape on both sides. Epoxy glued.
            3. Scarphing. Epoxy (and maybe resourcinal) glued.