Finishing off Surf question

  • micro2001au
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hi group,
      In the rush to get my Surf ready for painting I coated the sides with
      their 3 coats of epoxy, and covered the join in the 2 sheets with
      fairing compound. (cabosil) Then I realised that I probably should
      have covered the join with a strip of fibreglass tape. Is it vital
      that the outside join be taped? All seems strong and fair at this
      stage with a large butt strap on the inside, but I'd hate a crack to
      appear within 12 months.

      Col
    • Derek Waters
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
        Hi Col

        >> I'd hate a crack to appear within 12 months. <<

        Tape it. It will never fall apart as is, but you might get a cosmetic crack.
        Tape will deal with that.
        Just my two cents...

        cheers
        Derek
      • vicskiff
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
          Col, I taped my Surf butt joints inside and out (no wooden butt
          blocks) and otherwise applied just one coat of epoxy (inside and out)
          so I'm afraid my experience isn't particulary relevant in this
          regard. Sorry.

          John

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "micro2001au" <mooneycolin@d...> wrote:

          > Hi group,
          > In the rush to get my Surf ready for painting I coated the sides
          with
          > their 3 coats of epoxy, and covered the join in the 2 sheets with
          > fairing compound. (cabosil) Then I realised that I probably should
          > have covered the join with a strip of fibreglass tape. Is it vital
          > that the outside join be taped? All seems strong and fair at this
          > stage with a large butt strap on the inside, but I'd hate a crack
          > appear within 12 months.
          >
          > Col
        • David Ryan
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2003
            >Hi group,
            >In the rush to get my Surf ready for painting I coated the sides with
            >their 3 coats of epoxy, and covered the join in the 2 sheets with
            >fairing compound. (cabosil) Then I realised that I probably should
            >have covered the join with a strip of fibreglass tape. Is it vital
            >that the outside join be taped? All seems strong and fair at this
            >stage with a large butt strap on the inside, but I'd hate a crack to
            >appear within 12 months.

            I did not tape the joins on my Teal. It's been three years outside
            and no cracks yet.

            If I were you, I'd tape it!

            -D
            --

            C.E.P.
            415 W.46th Street
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2003
              Using a epoxy glued plywood butt strap on the inside is sufficent.
              Many boats are built that way. Strong and simple. I don't think you
              need the tape on the outside. It seems to me from my continual
              reading of designer's plans, groups, Duckwork's, etc. that there are
              three acceptable ways of making long panels out of plywood:

              1. Butt strap on one side. Epoxy with a little filler used as glue.
              2. Fiberglass tape on both sides. Epoxy glued.
              3. Scarphing. Epoxy (and maybe resourcinal) glued.