Re: Washing Machine

  • soussouchew
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector"
      <bruce_hector@h...> wrote:
      > What's wrong with throw your ditty in a soapy bucket, tossing it
      in a
      > minnow trap, and towing it for a while for a rinse cycle?
      >
      > Bruce Hector

      Answer: Probably nothing, except that is basically how I use to
      collect diatoms and other microscopic marine life for study in my
      biology class.

      Vince
    • Paul Lefebvre
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
        I once read about a jury-rigged washing machine used by troops on pacific
        islands in WWII. Don't remember details, in fact not even sure any were
        given, but it was basically a barrel with some sort of wave-driven agitator.
        They'd throw their clothes in and put it in the right spot in or near the
        surf zone, and let the waves agitate their clothes; claimed it did a great
        job. It ought to be possible to rig up a device like this on a voyaging
        boat - why wear out your arms cranking when your boat bobs in the waves
        24/7? Might take a bit longer, but who cares when the energy is free. Surely
        some of the clever long-distance cruisers out there have come up with a way
        to do this. I suppose the best clothes-washing energy is to be had offshore,
        where water is rationed and it'd be hard to hang things out to dry..... but
        it seems one could get around this with a bit of planning - tank up, then go
        for a daysail and wash your clothes at the same time!

        Paul L, hoping the end is in sight for this cabin-fever!
      • Richard Spelling
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
          Wouldn't washing your close in salt water leave them, well, salty?

          > I once read about a jury-rigged washing machine used by troops on pacific
          > islands in WWII. Don't remember details, in fact not even sure any were
          > given, but it was basically a barrel with some sort of wave-driven agitator.
          > They'd throw their clothes in and put it in the right spot in or near the
          > surf zone, and let the waves agitate their clothes; claimed it did a great
          > job. It ought to be possible to rig up a device like this on a voyaging
          > boat - why wear out your arms cranking when your boat bobs in the waves
          > 24/7? Might take a bit longer, but who cares when the energy is free. Surely
          > some of the clever long-distance cruisers out there have come up with a way
          > to do this. I suppose the best clothes-washing energy is to be had offshore,
          > where water is rationed and it'd be hard to hang things out to dry..... but
          > it seems one could get around this with a bit of planning - tank up, then go
          > for a daysail and wash your clothes at the same time!
          >
          > Paul L, hoping the end is in sight for this cabin-fever!

        • David Ryan
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
            >Wouldn't washing your close in salt water leave them, well, salty?

            When I was in school, I'd went Baja California nearly every Winter
            break. Not a lot of clothing needed.

            But when our clothes threatened to stand up and walk away on their
            own, we did have good luck putting our grungies in a 5 gallon pail
            with water, detergent and a lid. An hour on a washboarded road did
            the trick for agitation. We'd rinse in the ocean. I've heard of good
            results for a pail left on the deck of a boat underway.

            If you don't want salty clothes, stay ashore.

            -D

            --

            C.E.P.
            415 W.46th Street
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
              The one thing to worry about is leaving the bucket in the water being
              pulled behind the boat. Don't pump the bilges or empty the holding
              tanks.