Re: Washing Machine

  • Bruce Hector
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
      What's wrong with throw your ditty in a soapy bucket, tossing it in a
      minnow trap, and towing it for a while for a rinse cycle?

      Bruce Hector
    • soussouchew
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector"
        <bruce_hector@h...> wrote:
        > What's wrong with throw your ditty in a soapy bucket, tossing it
        in a
        > minnow trap, and towing it for a while for a rinse cycle?
        >
        > Bruce Hector

        Answer: Probably nothing, except that is basically how I use to
        collect diatoms and other microscopic marine life for study in my
        biology class.

        Vince
      • Paul Lefebvre
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
          I once read about a jury-rigged washing machine used by troops on pacific
          islands in WWII. Don't remember details, in fact not even sure any were
          given, but it was basically a barrel with some sort of wave-driven agitator.
          They'd throw their clothes in and put it in the right spot in or near the
          surf zone, and let the waves agitate their clothes; claimed it did a great
          job. It ought to be possible to rig up a device like this on a voyaging
          boat - why wear out your arms cranking when your boat bobs in the waves
          24/7? Might take a bit longer, but who cares when the energy is free. Surely
          some of the clever long-distance cruisers out there have come up with a way
          to do this. I suppose the best clothes-washing energy is to be had offshore,
          where water is rationed and it'd be hard to hang things out to dry..... but
          it seems one could get around this with a bit of planning - tank up, then go
          for a daysail and wash your clothes at the same time!

          Paul L, hoping the end is in sight for this cabin-fever!
        • Richard Spelling
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
            Wouldn't washing your close in salt water leave them, well, salty?

            > I once read about a jury-rigged washing machine used by troops on pacific
            > islands in WWII. Don't remember details, in fact not even sure any were
            > given, but it was basically a barrel with some sort of wave-driven agitator.
            > They'd throw their clothes in and put it in the right spot in or near the
            > surf zone, and let the waves agitate their clothes; claimed it did a great
            > job. It ought to be possible to rig up a device like this on a voyaging
            > boat - why wear out your arms cranking when your boat bobs in the waves
            > 24/7? Might take a bit longer, but who cares when the energy is free. Surely
            > some of the clever long-distance cruisers out there have come up with a way
            > to do this. I suppose the best clothes-washing energy is to be had offshore,
            > where water is rationed and it'd be hard to hang things out to dry..... but
            > it seems one could get around this with a bit of planning - tank up, then go
            > for a daysail and wash your clothes at the same time!
            >
            > Paul L, hoping the end is in sight for this cabin-fever!

          • David Ryan
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
              >Wouldn't washing your close in salt water leave them, well, salty?

              When I was in school, I'd went Baja California nearly every Winter
              break. Not a lot of clothing needed.

              But when our clothes threatened to stand up and walk away on their
              own, we did have good luck putting our grungies in a 5 gallon pail
              with water, detergent and a lid. An hour on a washboarded road did
              the trick for agitation. We'd rinse in the ocean. I've heard of good
              results for a pail left on the deck of a boat underway.

              If you don't want salty clothes, stay ashore.

              -D

              --

              C.E.P.
              415 W.46th Street
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
                The one thing to worry about is leaving the bucket in the water being
                pulled behind the boat. Don't pump the bilges or empty the holding
                tanks.