Washing Machine

  • harryjak
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
      I just ran across this advertised in a magazine

      http://www.laundry-alternative.com/

      Those comtemplating a cruise in their Bolger Boat with limited power
      options might be interested. Just the ticket for a Wyoming or Insolent
      60 or AS 29 or-----. Just the ticket that is if it works. Anybody got
      any feed back on it.

      HJ
    • jeff
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
        We already own one for the Wyoming we are building. They work okay so to
        speak. Keep the loads small and things actually get clean. They can use a
        fair amount of water but energy wise, they do it for free. Except of course
        the tea kettle for warm water. Better than washing in a bucket!

        Jeff

        > I just ran across this advertised in a magazine
        >
        > http://www.laundry-alternative.com/
        >
        > Those comtemplating a cruise in their Bolger Boat with limited power
        > options might be interested. Just the ticket for a Wyoming or Insolent
        > 60 or AS 29 or-----. Just the ticket that is if it works. Anybody got
        > any feed back on it.
        >

        > HJ

        01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

      • Bruce Hector
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
          What's wrong with throw your ditty in a soapy bucket, tossing it in a
          minnow trap, and towing it for a while for a rinse cycle?

          Bruce Hector
        • soussouchew
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector"
            <bruce_hector@h...> wrote:
            > What's wrong with throw your ditty in a soapy bucket, tossing it
            in a
            > minnow trap, and towing it for a while for a rinse cycle?
            >
            > Bruce Hector

            Answer: Probably nothing, except that is basically how I use to
            collect diatoms and other microscopic marine life for study in my
            biology class.

            Vince
          • Paul Lefebvre
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
              I once read about a jury-rigged washing machine used by troops on pacific
              islands in WWII. Don't remember details, in fact not even sure any were
              given, but it was basically a barrel with some sort of wave-driven agitator.
              They'd throw their clothes in and put it in the right spot in or near the
              surf zone, and let the waves agitate their clothes; claimed it did a great
              job. It ought to be possible to rig up a device like this on a voyaging
              boat - why wear out your arms cranking when your boat bobs in the waves
              24/7? Might take a bit longer, but who cares when the energy is free. Surely
              some of the clever long-distance cruisers out there have come up with a way
              to do this. I suppose the best clothes-washing energy is to be had offshore,
              where water is rationed and it'd be hard to hang things out to dry..... but
              it seems one could get around this with a bit of planning - tank up, then go
              for a daysail and wash your clothes at the same time!

              Paul L, hoping the end is in sight for this cabin-fever!
            • Richard Spelling
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
                Wouldn't washing your close in salt water leave them, well, salty?

                > I once read about a jury-rigged washing machine used by troops on pacific
                > islands in WWII. Don't remember details, in fact not even sure any were
                > given, but it was basically a barrel with some sort of wave-driven agitator.
                > They'd throw their clothes in and put it in the right spot in or near the
                > surf zone, and let the waves agitate their clothes; claimed it did a great
                > job. It ought to be possible to rig up a device like this on a voyaging
                > boat - why wear out your arms cranking when your boat bobs in the waves
                > 24/7? Might take a bit longer, but who cares when the energy is free. Surely
                > some of the clever long-distance cruisers out there have come up with a way
                > to do this. I suppose the best clothes-washing energy is to be had offshore,
                > where water is rationed and it'd be hard to hang things out to dry..... but
                > it seems one could get around this with a bit of planning - tank up, then go
                > for a daysail and wash your clothes at the same time!
                >
                > Paul L, hoping the end is in sight for this cabin-fever!

              • David Ryan
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
                  >Wouldn't washing your close in salt water leave them, well, salty?

                  When I was in school, I'd went Baja California nearly every Winter
                  break. Not a lot of clothing needed.

                  But when our clothes threatened to stand up and walk away on their
                  own, we did have good luck putting our grungies in a 5 gallon pail
                  with water, detergent and a lid. An hour on a washboarded road did
                  the trick for agitation. We'd rinse in the ocean. I've heard of good
                  results for a pail left on the deck of a boat underway.

                  If you don't want salty clothes, stay ashore.

                  -D

                  --

                  C.E.P.
                  415 W.46th Street
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
                    The one thing to worry about is leaving the bucket in the water being
                    pulled behind the boat. Don't pump the bilges or empty the holding
                    tanks.