Washing Machine

  • harryjak
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
      I just ran across this advertised in a magazine

      http://www.laundry-alternative.com/

      Those comtemplating a cruise in their Bolger Boat with limited power
      options might be interested. Just the ticket for a Wyoming or Insolent
      60 or AS 29 or-----. Just the ticket that is if it works. Anybody got
      any feed back on it?

      HJ
    • harryjak

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
          We already own one for the Wyoming we are building. They work okay so to
          speak. Keep the loads small and things actually get clean. They can use a
          fair amount of water but energy wise, they do it for free. Except of course
          the tea kettle for warm water. Better than washing in a bucket!

          Jeff

          > I just ran across this advertised in a magazine
          >
          > http://www.laundry-alternative.com/
          >
          > Those comtemplating a cruise in their Bolger Boat with limited power
          > options might be interested. Just the ticket for a Wyoming or Insolent
          > 60 or AS 29 or-----. Just the ticket that is if it works. Anybody got
          > any feed back on it.
          >

          > HJ

          01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

        • Bruce Hector
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
            What's wrong with throw your ditty in a soapy bucket, tossing it in a
            minnow trap, and towing it for a while for a rinse cycle?

            Bruce Hector
          • soussouchew
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector"
              <bruce_hector@h...> wrote:
              > What's wrong with throw your ditty in a soapy bucket, tossing it
              in a
              > minnow trap, and towing it for a while for a rinse cycle?
              >
              > Bruce Hector

              Answer: Probably nothing, except that is basically how I use to
              collect diatoms and other microscopic marine life for study in my
              biology class.

              Vince
            • Paul Lefebvre
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
                I once read about a jury-rigged washing machine used by troops on pacific
                islands in WWII. Don't remember details, in fact not even sure any were
                given, but it was basically a barrel with some sort of wave-driven agitator.
                They'd throw their clothes in and put it in the right spot in or near the
                surf zone, and let the waves agitate their clothes; claimed it did a great
                job. It ought to be possible to rig up a device like this on a voyaging
                boat - why wear out your arms cranking when your boat bobs in the waves
                24/7? Might take a bit longer, but who cares when the energy is free. Surely
                some of the clever long-distance cruisers out there have come up with a way
                to do this. I suppose the best clothes-washing energy is to be had offshore,
                where water is rationed and it'd be hard to hang things out to dry..... but
                it seems one could get around this with a bit of planning - tank up, then go
                for a daysail and wash your clothes at the same time!

                Paul L, hoping the end is in sight for this cabin-fever!
              • Richard Spelling
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
                  Wouldn't washing your close in salt water leave them, well, salty?

                  > I once read about a jury-rigged washing machine used by troops on pacific
                  > islands in WWII. Don't remember details, in fact not even sure any were
                  > given, but it was basically a barrel with some sort of wave-driven agitator.
                  > They'd throw their clothes in and put it in the right spot in or near the
                  > surf zone, and let the waves agitate their clothes; claimed it did a great
                  > job. It ought to be possible to rig up a device like this on a voyaging
                  > boat - why wear out your arms cranking when your boat bobs in the waves
                  > 24/7? Might take a bit longer, but who cares when the energy is free. Surely
                  > some of the clever long-distance cruisers out there have come up with a way
                  > to do this. I suppose the best clothes-washing energy is to be had offshore,
                  > where water is rationed and it'd be hard to hang things out to dry..... but
                  > it seems one could get around this with a bit of planning - tank up, then go
                  > for a daysail and wash your clothes at the same time!
                  >
                  > Paul L, hoping the end is in sight for this cabin-fever!

                • David Ryan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
                    >Wouldn't washing your close in salt water leave them, well, salty?

                    When I was in school, I'd went Baja California nearly every Winter
                    break. Not a lot of clothing needed.

                    But when our clothes threatened to stand up and walk away on their
                    own, we did have good luck putting our grungies in a 5 gallon pail
                    with water, detergent and a lid. An hour on a washboarded road did
                    the trick for agitation. We'd rinse in the ocean. I've heard of good
                    results for a pail left on the deck of a boat underway.

                    If you don't want salty clothes, stay ashore.

                    -D

                    --

                    C.E.P.
                    415 W.46th Street
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
                      The one thing to worry about is leaving the bucket in the water being
                      pulled behind the boat. Don't pump the bilges or empty the holding
                      tanks.