Re: [bolger] in defense of Duckworks

  • James Fuller
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
      Chuck,

      You don't need a defense. As has been pointed out by others you can't eat a
      good dinner or play a round of golf
      for the price of your subscription. Paying $25 for a year
      of the site is a real bargain. Most of us spend more time dreaming instead
      of building and the site is the stuff of which dreams are made. Count me
      in.

      James Fuller

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
        Oh, Chuck, I don't think anyone here thinks you are gready. Especialy anyone who has met you.

        Most of the postings on this thread were discussing whether the content was worth the money. And, the consensus seemed to be that is
        was.

        You do not need defend yourself.
        > How about some bikini clad models draped across a mouseboat or maybe a Jim
        > Michalak Harmonica! That sounds like the best of both worlds to me;)
        >
        > I guess I should say a word or two in my defense. I hesitated to this point, because defending one's position, especially if it
        seems based on greed, usually seems insincere.

        > My wife, Sandra and I have worked for four years on Duckworks. Our motive from the start was to make a mom and pop business out
        of it, so that we could quit our day jobs. That seemed like a slam dunk when the internet was booming. Now that reality has caught
        up, it is problematic, even doubious.

        > At first, we tried the american standard - advertising. That might have worked if I was a better salesman, but I am not. As the
        net changed after the crash, we all noticed how much bigger and more pervasive the ads were getting. I could have adopted pop-up or
        under ads at any time - I had plenty of offers. I could have adopted the Yahoo way where you have to look at a full page ad before
        you go on to what you clicked on in the first place. Franklly that did not appeal to me at all. I thought it would be unfair to
        our readers.

        > Finally, we started our little store, and I am happy to report that it pays for the server time, if not much else. It is getting
        better, though, and we have great hopes for it. Then one day, not long ago, we got a bill from our host that was much bigger than we
        were used to. It seems that Duckworks has much more traffic than anyone realized.

        > At that point we asked ourselves: "Do we really need this magazine?" The obvious answer was no. Without it, we could devote much
        more time and effort to the store. We could add more products; do more promotion; improve the looks; make it more user-friendly.
        The problem is that I really like publishing Duckworks Magazine. The answer was this: Try taking the site subscription. If it
        works, go with it. If it doesn't, scale it WAY back, and concentrate on what pays - the store.

        > I am happy to announce that since the decision, most of our regular readers have responded positively, some wondering how we were
        able to keep it free for so long. But we aren't home free. The extent to which we improve the site, will depend on the actual
        number of subscribers. We have lots of plans, including a "Girls in Homemade Boats" photo contest, an expanded and updated Index,
        product reviews, and many more feature articles. I hope you will all consider joining us as we improve on what has always been a
        good place to spend a little time.

        > Chuck Leinweber

      • Steve Bosquette
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
          Count me in also. As a matter of fact I insist on paying my
          subscription even though I contribute articles from time to time.
          The $25 is peanuts compared to the daily pleasure I derive from the
          magazine. The opposite of greedy is cheap and the truth is if you
          want a cheap(free) magazine then you may get no magazine at all!!
          You have my full support Chuck and I hope the Magazine continues as a
          paid subscription because I will demand better content and more to
          offer as a subscriber. We can and should all vote with our dollars,
          if it is not well done we shouldn't spend our hard earned cash!!!

          Steve Bosquette
        • futabachan
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
            > We have lots of plans, including a "Girls in Homemade Boats" photo
            > contest

            Eep! Must. Finish. Gull.

            -- Sue --
            (sadly, I60 construction is officially suspended until either my
            partner or I finds a job....)

            --
            Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
          • David Ryan
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
              > -- Sue --
              >(sadly, I60 construction is officially suspended until either my
              >partner or I finds a job....)

              Suspended?

              --

              C.E.P.
              415 W.46th Street
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
                Re your "Girls in Homemade Boats" photo contest. Better make it a
                swimsuit contest in homemade boats contest. My wife, Elaine, is an
                ardent feminist and she'll demand some guys photos too!

                It's really good to see so many say that they'll be helping to
                support Duckworks, it's a great e-Rag. I'm an early subscriber, as
                even at $37 tiny little Canadian dollarettes it's still a bargain,
                now if he'll just go back to the old format. I can't find a thing on
                his new one. (I hate learning curves)

                Gotta' go do a few thousand sit ups to get the flab ready for the
                photo shoot.....

                Bruce Hector
                http://www.brucesboats.com
              • riquenz
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
                  Hi Chuck
                  Even though Duckworks is probably my favorite site, by the time the
                  US$25 is translated to NZ dollars, it becomes more like $60 to me. I
                  am disapointed that the advertising option ( as a pain in the bum
                  that it is) wasn't gone for. I wonder how many of you would pay $60
                  for the privelege?
                  Thanx,
                  Rique

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Bosquette" <sbosquette@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > Count me in also. As a matter of fact I insist on paying my
                  > subscription even though I contribute articles from time to time.
                  > The $25 is peanuts compared to the daily pleasure I derive from the
                  > magazine. The opposite of greedy is cheap and the truth is if you
                  > want a cheap(free) magazine then you may get no magazine at all!!
                  > You have my full support Chuck and I hope the Magazine continues as
                  > paid subscription because I will demand better content and more to
                  > offer as a subscriber. We can and should all vote with our
                  dollars,
                  > if it is not well done we shouldn't spend our hard earned cash!!!
                  >
                  > Steve Bosquette
                • vicskiff
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
                    Wow. And I thought it bad at $36.82 Canadian at today's rate of
                    exchange.

                    John

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "riquenz" <Rique@p...> wrote:
                    > Hi Chuck
                    > Even though Duckworks is probably my favorite site, by the time the
                    > US$25 is translated to NZ dollars, it becomes more like $60 to me.
                    > am disapointed that the advertising option ( as a pain in the bum
                    > that it is) wasn't gone for. I wonder how many of you would pay $60
                    > for the privelege?
                    > Thanx,
                    > Rique
                    >

                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Bosquette" <sbosquette@c...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > Count me in also. As a matter of fact I insist on paying my
                    > > subscription even though I contribute articles from time to
                    time.
                    > > The $25 is peanuts compared to the daily pleasure I derive from
                    the
                    > > magazine. The opposite of greedy is cheap and the truth is if
                    you
                    > > want a cheap(free) magazine then you may get no magazine at
                    all!!
                    > > You have my full support Chuck and I hope the Magazine continues
                    as
                    > > paid subscription because I will demand better content and more
                    > > offer as a subscriber. We can and should all vote with our
                    > dollars,
                    > > if it is not well done we shouldn't spend our hard earned cash!!!
                    > >
                    > > Steve Bosquette
                  • rmdeming
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2, 2003
                      Hi Chuck,
                      I am actually glad you are going to keep the content flowing like it
                      is. I just have a homepage style website and I haven't changed it in
                      forever because of the time involved in doing it. From that
                      experience, I know that you must spend a bunch of time with the all
                      the rotating content that you have. Build it and they will come! I'm
                      hooked, I'll find the $25 and I'm in, but try to realize that some of
                      us "cheap" plywood boat builders (as one person called us), have a
                      hard parting with bucks that could go to supplies. Thanks for doing
                      what you've done for all these years! I hope we can all say this in
                      10 years from now when you raise the rate to $26.

                      Hang tough ol' boy,
                      Rich in Florida
                      (I squeeze the paint out of my bushes bristles to gain an extra 1-
                      1/2" bottom coverage) Keep Smiling....pays the same as a frown but
                      feels better!

                      > I guess I should say a word or two in my defense.
                    • proaconstrictor
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 5, 2003
                        Though I can't afford it, The one advantage in the colonies, is that
                        you don't have to double the cost with postage. When I subscribed to
                        MAIB, I probably would have gladly taken it in virtual form, heck
                        even payment in virtual form would have probably kept me in the fold.