in defense of Duckworks

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
      How about some bikini clad models draped across a mouseboat or maybe a Jim
      Michalak Harmonica! That sounds like the best of both worlds to me;)

      I guess I should say a word or two in my defense. I hesitated to this point, because defending one's position, especially if it seems based on greed, usually seems insincere.

      My wife, Sandra and I have worked for four years on Duckworks. Our motive from the start was to make a mom and pop business out of it, so that we could quit our day jobs. That seemed like a slam dunk when the internet was booming. Now that reality has caught up, it is problematic, even doubious.

      At first, we tried the american standard - advertising. That might have worked if I was a better salesman, but I am not. As the net changed after the crash, we all noticed how much bigger and more pervasive the ads were getting. I could have adopted pop-up or under ads at any time - I had plenty of offers. I could have adopted the Yahoo way where you have to look at a full page ad before you go on to what you clicked on in the first place. Franklly that did not appeal to me at all. I thought it would be unfair to our readers.

      Finally, we started our little store, and I am happy to report that it pays for the server time, if not much else. It is getting better, though, and we have great hopes for it. Then one day, not long ago, we got a bill from our host that was much bigger than we were used to. It seems that Duckworks has much more traffic than anyone realized.

      At that point we asked ourselves: "Do we really need this magazine?" The obvious answer was no. Without it, we could devote much more time and effort to the store. We could add more products; do more promotion; improve the looks; make it more user-friendly. The problem is that I really like publishing Duckworks Magazine. The answer was this: Try taking the site subscription. If it works, go with it. If it doesn't, scale it WAY back, and concentrate on what pays - the store.

      I am happy to announce that since the decision, most of our regular readers have responded positively, some wondering how we were able to keep it free for so long. But we aren't home free. The extent to which we improve the site, will depend on the actual number of subscribers. We have lots of plans, including a "Girls in Homemade Boats" photo contest, an expanded and updated Index, product reviews, and many more feature articles. I hope you will all consider joining us as we improve on what has always been a good place to spend a little time.

      Chuck Leinweber

    • James Fuller
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
        Chuck,

        You don't need a defense. As has been pointed out by others you can't eat a
        good dinner or play a round of golf
        for the price of your subscription. Paying $25 for a year
        of the site is a real bargain. Most of us spend more time dreaming instead
        of building and the site is the stuff of which dreams are made. Count me
        in.

        James Fuller

        > How about some bikini clad models draped across a mouseboat or maybe a Jim
        > Michalak Harmonica! That sounds like the best of both worlds to me;)
        >
        > I guess I should say a word or two in my defense. I hesitated to this
        point, because defending one's position, especially if it seems based on
        greed, usually seems insincere.

        > My wife, Sandra and I have worked for four years on Duckworks. Our motive
        from the start was to make a mom and pop business out of it, so that we
        could quit our day jobs. That seemed like a slam dunk when the internet was
        booming. Now that reality has caught up, it is problematic, even doubious.

        > At first, we tried the american standard - advertising. That might have
        worked if I was a better salesman, but I am not. As the net changed after
        the crash, we all noticed how much bigger and more pervasive the ads were
        getting. I could have adopted pop-up or under ads at any time - I had plenty
        of offers. I could have adopted the Yahoo way where you have to look at a
        full page ad before you go on to what you clicked on in the first place.
        Franklly that did not appeal to me at all. I thought it would be unfair to
        our readers.

        > Finally, we started our little store, and I am happy to report that it
        pays for the server time, if not much else. It is getting better, though,
        and we have great hopes for it. Then one day, not long ago, we got a bill
        from our host that was much bigger than we were used to. It seems that
        Duckworks has much more traffic than anyone realized.

        > At that point we asked ourselves: "Do we really need this magazine?" The
        obvious answer was no. Without it, we could devote much more time and effort
        to the store. We could add more products; do more promotion; improve the
        looks; make it more user-friendly. The problem is that I really like
        publishing Duckworks Magazine. The answer was this: Try taking the site
        subscription. If it works, go with it. If it doesn't, scale it WAY back,
        and concentrate on what pays - the store.

        > I am happy to announce that since the decision, most of our regular
        readers have responded positively, some wondering how we were able to keep
        it free for so long. But we aren't home free. The extent to which we
        improve the site, will depend on the actual number of subscribers. We have
        lots of plans, including a "Girls in Homemade Boats" photo contest, an
        expanded and updated Index, product reviews, and many more feature articles.
        I hope you will all consider joining us as we improve on what has always
        been a good place to spend a little time.

        > Chuck Leinweber

        01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

      • Richard Spelling
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
          Oh, Chuck, I don't think anyone here thinks you are gready. Especialy anyone who has met you.

          Most of the postings on this thread were discussing whether the content was worth the money. And, the consensus seemed to be that is
          was.

          You do not need defend yourself.
          > How about some bikini clad models draped across a mouseboat or maybe a Jim
          > Michalak Harmonica! That sounds like the best of both worlds to me;)
          >
          > I guess I should say a word or two in my defense. I hesitated to this point, because defending one's position, especially if it
          seems based on greed, usually seems insincere.

          > My wife, Sandra and I have worked for four years on Duckworks. Our motive from the start was to make a mom and pop business out
          of it, so that we could quit our day jobs. That seemed like a slam dunk when the internet was booming. Now that reality has caught
          up, it is problematic, even doubious.

          > At first, we tried the american standard - advertising. That might have worked if I was a better salesman, but I am not. As the
          net changed after the crash, we all noticed how much bigger and more pervasive the ads were getting. I could have adopted pop-up or
          under ads at any time - I had plenty of offers. I could have adopted the Yahoo way where you have to look at a full page ad before
          you go on to what you clicked on in the first place. Franklly that did not appeal to me at all. I thought it would be unfair to
          our readers.

          > Finally, we started our little store, and I am happy to report that it pays for the server time, if not much else. It is getting
          better, though, and we have great hopes for it. Then one day, not long ago, we got a bill from our host that was much bigger than we
          were used to. It seems that Duckworks has much more traffic than anyone realized.

          > At that point we asked ourselves: "Do we really need this magazine?" The obvious answer was no. Without it, we could devote much
          more time and effort to the store. We could add more products; do more promotion; improve the looks; make it more user-friendly.
          The problem is that I really like publishing Duckworks Magazine. The answer was this: Try taking the site subscription. If it
          works, go with it. If it doesn't, scale it WAY back, and concentrate on what pays - the store.

          > I am happy to announce that since the decision, most of our regular readers have responded positively, some wondering how we were
          able to keep it free for so long. But we aren't home free. The extent to which we improve the site, will depend on the actual
          number of subscribers. We have lots of plans, including a "Girls in Homemade Boats" photo contest, an expanded and updated Index,
          product reviews, and many more feature articles. I hope you will all consider joining us as we improve on what has always been a
          good place to spend a little time.

          > Chuck Leinweber

        • Steve Bosquette
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
            Count me in also. As a matter of fact I insist on paying my
            subscription even though I contribute articles from time to time.
            The $25 is peanuts compared to the daily pleasure I derive from the
            magazine. The opposite of greedy is cheap and the truth is if you
            want a cheap(free) magazine then you may get no magazine at all!!
            You have my full support Chuck and I hope the Magazine continues as a
            paid subscription because I will demand better content and more to
            offer as a subscriber. We can and should all vote with our dollars,
            if it is not well done we shouldn't spend our hard earned cash!!!

            Steve Bosquette
          • futabachan
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
              > We have lots of plans, including a "Girls in Homemade Boats" photo
              > contest

              Eep! Must. Finish. Gull.

              -- Sue --
              (sadly, I60 construction is officially suspended until either my
              partner or I finds a job....)

              --
              Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
            • David Ryan
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
                > -- Sue --
                >(sadly, I60 construction is officially suspended until either my
                >partner or I finds a job....)

                Suspended?

                --

                C.E.P.
                415 W.46th Street
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
                  Re your "Girls in Homemade Boats" photo contest. Better make it a
                  swimsuit contest in homemade boats contest. My wife, Elaine, is an
                  ardent feminist and she'll demand some guys photos too!

                  It's really good to see so many say that they'll be helping to
                  support Duckworks, it's a great e-Rag. I'm an early subscriber, as
                  even at $37 tiny little Canadian dollarettes it's still a bargain,
                  now if he'll just go back to the old format. I can't find a thing on
                  his new one. (I hate learning curves)

                  Gotta' go do a few thousand sit ups to get the flab ready for the
                  photo shoot.....

                  Bruce Hector
                  http://www.brucesboats.com
                • riquenz
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
                    Hi Chuck
                    Even though Duckworks is probably my favorite site, by the time the
                    US$25 is translated to NZ dollars, it becomes more like $60 to me. I
                    am disapointed that the advertising option ( as a pain in the bum
                    that it is) wasn't gone for. I wonder how many of you would pay $60
                    for the privelege?
                    Thanx,
                    Rique

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Bosquette" <sbosquette@c...>
                    wrote:
                    > Count me in also. As a matter of fact I insist on paying my
                    > subscription even though I contribute articles from time to time.
                    > The $25 is peanuts compared to the daily pleasure I derive from the
                    > magazine. The opposite of greedy is cheap and the truth is if you
                    > want a cheap(free) magazine then you may get no magazine at all!!
                    > You have my full support Chuck and I hope the Magazine continues as
                    > paid subscription because I will demand better content and more to
                    > offer as a subscriber. We can and should all vote with our
                    dollars,
                    > if it is not well done we shouldn't spend our hard earned cash!!!
                    >
                    > Steve Bosquette
                  • vicskiff
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 1, 2003
                      Wow. And I thought it bad at $36.82 Canadian at today's rate of
                      exchange.

                      John

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "riquenz" <Rique@p...> wrote:
                      > Hi Chuck
                      > Even though Duckworks is probably my favorite site, by the time the
                      > US$25 is translated to NZ dollars, it becomes more like $60 to me.
                      > am disapointed that the advertising option ( as a pain in the bum
                      > that it is) wasn't gone for. I wonder how many of you would pay $60
                      > for the privelege?
                      > Thanx,
                      > Rique
                      >

                      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Bosquette" <sbosquette@c...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Count me in also. As a matter of fact I insist on paying my
                      > > subscription even though I contribute articles from time to
                      time.
                      > > The $25 is peanuts compared to the daily pleasure I derive from
                      the
                      > > magazine. The opposite of greedy is cheap and the truth is if
                      you
                      > > want a cheap(free) magazine then you may get no magazine at
                      all!!
                      > > You have my full support Chuck and I hope the Magazine continues
                      as
                      > > paid subscription because I will demand better content and more
                      > > offer as a subscriber. We can and should all vote with our
                      > dollars,
                      > > if it is not well done we shouldn't spend our hard earned cash!!!
                      > >
                      > > Steve Bosquette
                    • rmdeming
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 2, 2003
                        Hi Chuck,
                        I am actually glad you are going to keep the content flowing like it
                        is. I just have a homepage style website and I haven't changed it in
                        forever because of the time involved in doing it. From that
                        experience, I know that you must spend a bunch of time with the all
                        the rotating content that you have. Build it and they will come! I'm
                        hooked, I'll find the $25 and I'm in, but try to realize that some of
                        us "cheap" plywood boat builders (as one person called us), have a
                        hard parting with bucks that could go to supplies. Thanks for doing
                        what you've done for all these years! I hope we can all say this in
                        10 years from now when you raise the rate to $26.

                        Hang tough ol' boy,
                        Rich in Florida
                        (I squeeze the paint out of my bushes bristles to gain an extra 1-
                        1/2" bottom coverage) Keep Smiling....pays the same as a frown but
                        feels better!

                        > I guess I should say a word or two in my defense.
                      • proaconstrictor
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 5, 2003
                          Though I can't afford it, The one advantage in the colonies, is that
                          you don't have to double the cost with postage. When I subscribed to
                          MAIB, I probably would have gladly taken it in virtual form, heck
                          even payment in virtual form would have probably kept me in the fold.