Re: [bolger] Duckworks Charging for Subscriptions

  • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 1, 2003
      MAIB doesn't pay anything to its contributors either, and I'm sure they
      don't mind (I don't) that Bob Hicks makes a living off the magazine. But $25
      a year for a Web based magazine seems a bit much to me for the market to
      bear. If Chuck was asking for $10, or even $15 a year I don't think we'd be
      hearing so many complaints, and he would probably end up doing better.

      As someone who spends a lot of time publishing something on the Web for
      little in return (it started out "for fun" but turned into a monster...) I
      wish Chuck well in his attempt to get a little something back for his
      efforts.

      On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 18:22:37 +0100, you wrote:
      > As a journalist myself and a good journalist's union member, I'm
      > nevertheless happy to write for free to support something I enjoy and which
      > is used by a limited market, so long as I have no reason to believe the
      > proprieter is making a fortune while ripping off the contributors.

      John <jkohnen@...>
      http://www.boat-links.com/
      In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful
      for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican. <H. L. Mencken>
    • welshman@ptialaska.net
      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 1, 2003
        As I read the last two MAIB's it became instantly apparent to me that
        Bolger was writing them. I laid out several past articles and those two for
        my 17 year old son to do a composition comparison. He's at the stage where
        he can recognize good and bad writing, but he's not sure why it's good or
        bad.

        Bolger as a teaching tool for English, is there no end to the usefulness of
        his work?

        HJ

        I don't think I could stomach a whole book full of Susanne's writing! :oP I
        hope she has lots of other virtues, because her prose will never get her
        past the pearly gates. It was a pleasant surprise to open up the last two
        issues of MAIB and find that Phil himself had written the articles! :o)

        http://mail2web.com/ .