$25 for a plate of food

  • Michael Crumpton
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2003
      > Twenty-five bucks won't even buy a nice dinner, but then folks who build funky
      > plywood crate boats are not the sort who
      > would spend $25 for a plate of food either.
      > Doug
      On the other hand I am pretty sure that at least 75% of the people reading
      the site are more in the category of fantasy boat builders who dream of
      building funky plywood crate boats but lack time, skills, space or gumption
      to actually do it, but enjoy vicariously other peoples efforts. I would
      think that duckworks would do better to find more advertising revenue, or
      maybe have a 2 tier system where you get text and thumbnails for free, but
      to get full size images and plans you have to pay a small fee. I think 25 is
      too much unless the site offers much more than it does now. If you think
      about it many yahoo groups offer most of the functionality of duckworks (or
      at least the potential for it), so why is duckworks worth $25?
      BTW I love the site, but I am not sure that I would buy it, perhaps for the
      same reason that I read about building boats, but have not made one myself
      yet.
      Bye,
      Michael
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2003
        I think you would be surprised at how many in this group have built Bolger
        boats, and as Craig O'Donnell has mentioned, if you built one, you have
        probably started on the next.

        HJ

      • wmrpage@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1 7:27 PM
          In a message dated 3/31/03 1:32:13 PM Central Standard Time,
          michael@... writes:

          > If you think
          > about it many yahoo groups offer most of the functionality of duckworks (or
          > at least the potential for it), so why is duckworks worth $25?
          > BTW I love the site, but I am not sure that I would buy it, perhaps for the
          > same reason that I read about building boats, but have not made one myself
          > yet.

          I disagree. There is no reason to expect that stimuli for fantasies will be
          free! I'll cheerfully chump up the change when the subscription system is
          fully operational. (a quick look seemed to suggest it is a work in progress)
          Among other things, the nearly "cost-free" publication that the Internet
          offers is a demonstration of the value of an intelligent
          editor/publisher/moderator/some intermediary to glean the gloss from the
          crap. (e.g., if you "google" anything, you find more shit than shinola, IMHO)

          Ciao for Niao,
          Bill in MN