Re: help! Now:Duckworks Charging for Subscriptions

  • Pete Staehling
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2003
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mark A." <marka@h...> wrote:
      > I am amused that so many don't realize it has been an
      > effort toward a profit making venture all along. What
      > do they think all that advertising is about?

      I tend to think that making a profit from selling stuff or running
      ads is a different matter than charging readers. Charging the
      readers is OK too, but charging for articles that were contributed by
      folks who thought they were going to a free site steps over the line
      in my mind. Of course this is just my opinion, and obviously anyone
      else can feel free to agree or disagree.

      If the idea (from the beginning) was to eventually charge readers for
      the site (and I am not saying it is), then the contributers have been
      taken advantage of and Chuck ought to be ashamed of himself.

      I think I myself will pass on both the subscription and the articles
      I was working on, at least for now and probably in the future too.
      If I had articles that I had contributed in the past I would consider
      whether to ask to have them removed or not. If I decided that Chuck
      was planning to convert the site to a subscription site at the time I
      contributed them, I definitely would ask him to remove them.

      Personally I think this venture will fail if success is measured by
      making a profit. Charging $25 a year will reduce the number of
      readers, but more significantly the compensation structure is likely
      to discourage contributers. If the contributers jump ship there
      isn't anything to attract subscribers and the readership will fall
      futher. It is a vicious circle. I wouldn't be surprised if
      Duckworks was gone a year from now. I kind of hope I am wrong.

      Pete
    • Doug Harrison
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2003
        It's a paper vs crt thing. Perhaps some market exists for ezines - news and events for instance. I find it hard to accept
        that hobbiests will be willing to give up the reference value of that growing stack of magazines piled up next to the
        recliner chair.

        Doug
      • ravenouspi
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30, 2003
          Hey Chuck, if you are following this, providing paying subscribers
          with the Duckworks CD at the end of each year might take the sting
          out of paying for something entirely virtual.

          Good luck with your endeavor. As to whether I will subscribe, I
          honestly don't know. I don't think it is an outrageous price,
          Duckworks is great--the best thing on the net for boatbuilders in my
          opinion. I simply don't know if my budget and my skinflint nature
          will allow me. Either way, a long internal struggle within this
          cheapskate boatbuilder is likely.
          Judging by past contributors, I'm guessing a lot of your audience is
          in the, uh, "frugal" category.
          I am also curious to know (if what is currently offered will remain
          free - as stated) what great new stuff will be offered to tempt me
          out of a subscription fee. The CD might help.
          I have long enjoyed the results of Chuck's labor, and that of the
          contributors. I hope this all works out to the satisfaction of
          those two groups. We readers (potential subscribers) will just have
          a simple $ vs Need decision.

          bye all,
          Rav

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Doug Harrison <prototype@c...> wrote:
          > It's a paper vs crt thing. Perhaps some market exists for ezines -
          news and events for instance. I find it hard to accept
          > that hobbiests will be willing to give up the reference value of
          that growing stack of magazines piled up next to the
          > recliner chair.
          >
          > Doug
        • Bruce Hector
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 30, 2003
            Chuck never hoodwinked anyone that I know of, and his site has been
            full of constantly updated boatbuilding stuff for many years. Even
            Pepsi and Chrysler don't plan their capitalist schemes that far in
            advance.

            Short of MAIB, where can you find even a tiny fraction of Duckworks
            timely, informative and full colour boatbuilding specific articles?
            Nowhere! And without funding, that's where you'll be able to read
            such content, nowhere!

            Duckworks is so good that it has grown to the point that Chuck simply
            can't support it as a hobby site any longer. I've seen him work on it
            for 4 - 5 hours a night, for almost nothing! The ad revenue wouldn't
            keep me in beer, let alone compensate me for a 40 hour hobby biz, pay
            for tons of enhanced computer systems, broad band servers, the lot!

            To keep it all in perspective, the cost is, at least in Ontario, less
            than a case of beer, and far less than a gallon of epoxy. If that
            small contribution helps keep this great institution running than
            it's far better than having Duckworks fade away becuase the time and
            effort was being underfunded.

            His choice, as I see it, was to let Duckworks slip away or make it
            pay for itself.

            He made the right choice, I'm a subscriber, and I wish him all luck.

            Bruce Hector
          • pvanderwaart
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
              My own strategy will be to buy the subscription, and then plie Chuck
              with enough book reviews and columns to reduce the effective price a
              long way. I get a kick out of getting my views published and I like
              to help Chuck.

              Peter