Re: Sailplan for balestron rig (Aerorig)?

  • ghartc
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2003
      Thad,

      I would not use an 8-10 ft. dinghy for handicap sailing unless the
      sailor can swim.

      You want to pretty much match the square footage of the old sail.
      You also want the center of areas to be about the same. If the
      aerorig uses a 100% jib (I think it must), I would treat the nice rig
      and a simple triangle.

      I expect the mast is pretty far forward on the Walker Bay, since it
      doesn't use a jib. It will be hard to place the mast in the same
      socket, add your jib, and still match the center of area of the two
      rig. You'll probably end up with more lead than it was designed with.

      If your new center of area is higher because you've raised the boom,
      you might need to use even less sail area to have a similar stability.

      Anyway, you can work out the whole thing easily on a scaled drawing.
      If you've forgotten your geometry, draw it on graph paper and count
      the squares.

      Gregg Carlson