Easy Race Format

  • teakdeck@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2003
      Bolgeradoes,

      Below is an e-mail from another group, which poses a question about easy race
      formats:

      In the March issue of "Sailing World" magazine, editor John Burnham
      suggested an informal "Easy Race" format to maximize the benefits of yacht
      racing while minimizing the barriers to participation. JB's initial format
      (start on a reach; simplified rules; race against the clock; socialize; etc)
      seems like a great way to introduce novice skippers/juniors to our sport
      without the "wonderful, confounding intricacies, of signal flags, rules,
      customs, and procedures". Future issues of SW will expound on this
      proposal -but in the mean time our sailing club in Guilford, CT. needs
      similar suggestions to plan our junior "Introduction To Racing 101"
      program.

      I have often thought about this in the context of home built boats. Here is
      my idea:

      Start from the beach. The course would then take you around one or more
      marks, with natural marks such as buoys or small islands or whatever being
      preferred. Allow for any and all incidental contact. First boat to return to
      shore wins the heat.

      Any other ideas?