Re: cabin clam skiff

  • vicskiff
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 21, 2003
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Sakari Aaltonen <sakari@a...> wrote:
      > I, too, had problems with the details you mention, and am not too
      happy about my solutions. The plans of the house are rather sketchy.
      I didn't build the swiveling steering post, by the way, and put the
      remote control on the wall of the house, rather than on the roof.
      These two details may be a great idea, but I just couldn't figure out
      a way of routing the cables (without kinks.)

      Sakari,

      As soon as I had the CCS plans under scrutiny over a year ago I
      noticed what looked to me like lack of information on sometimes
      crucial details -- for example, in keeping driving water from
      entering the cabin around the forward edge of the sliding hatch. I
      raised the matter on this List and someone suggested I
      consult 'Buehler's Backyard Boatbuilding', etc. Trouble is that many
      of Bolger's ideas, being original to him , haven't been covered by
      Bueler or others. I then faxed PCB and he kindly sketched out a
      solution and promptly faxed it back to me but, as you found, there
      are many other fuzzy areas.

      Visiting Sam Devlin in Olympia last fall (to ask him about his own
      sketchy presentation of electric power on the rudder of Nancy's China
      DC), I told him how much I admired St. Valerie and asked about
      building from PCB's plans. It turns out Sam had very much the same
      experience that you did and spent a lot of his (expensive) time
      puzzling things out. It has to make one wonder!

      John