[bolger] Building Boats

  • Foster Price
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 1999
      Micheal Wrote:
      >I also found
      >that the little imperfections I see while working on her are not
      >apparent if you step back a few feet.

      >I'm very pleased with the Tortoise which looks great despite the quick
      >paint job

      John Welsford, a New Zealand designer of small boats (including a modified Glouschester Gull that I built) who says he has been inspired by PCB proposed the following system:

      500mm (2' ) boats: Boats built to this standard are prefect in every detail when veiwed from a distance of 2' i.e. in close examination one can't see any flaws.

      5.0m (15' ) boats: These boats look good if you stand back a little. the sheer is right, detailing correct and they will please the designer and anyone who uses them. The builder may feel that he/she could have done better but there's always next time. My boats fall into this category and I fear I will never be able to produce a 500mm boat!!

      50.0m (150' ) boats: These arn't improved by distance, the designer will disown the builder, and no-one will want to use the boat. I have to admit I have built a boat to this standard ( once, a long time ago, luckily a lady wanted a garden planter and I was able to quit it ).

      Regards - Foster Price

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger
    • GHC
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 1999
        Excellent! I'll bet most are 15 footers - mine are. I have a friend
        building a 56' powerboat to 2' standards - most impressive, every single,
        hidden detail...

        Gregg Carlson