Pointy Skiff - another question

  • dbaldnz
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2003
      Musing about a tender for my Micro Navigator, on a mooring in quite
      choppy water at times, the Pointy would perhaps make quite a stable
      and handy little tender. My Elegant Punt went missing, then found
      again on someones lawn. My wife said go get it. I said no.....it
      didnt prove up to the job, best left where it is.
      Wanting my tender to be as light as possible, I wondered about a
      1/4" bottom instead of 3/8". The boat was designed for heavy work,
      crab pots and the like. Used as an underloaded tender, does anyone
      who has used one have any thoughts about a lighter bottom?
      Thanks,
      DonB
    • sctree
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2003
        Here's an uneducated guess from an owner/builde,r calm water rower, of a
        Pointy Skiff.

        Built as designed I bet Pointy Skiff will do good for you. I know at
        times every pound can count, and my guess is a 1/4" bottom would save
        maybe 8 or 10 pounds, but you will have two nearly flat areas aprox. 3'
        x 2' that are unsupported. I wonder how careful you would need to be to
        prevent putting your foot through that expanse if it were only 1/4"?
        Maybe you could use removable duck boards? Handling her on shore would
        also be a concern, although I have at times had 1/4" ply that I've felt
        was stronger than some of the crummy 3/8" around here..

        You could add an additional skid or two to the bottom??

        And if always underloaded you might get away with shaving an inch or so
        off the sheer all the way around??????

        Anyone else????????

        Rick

        dbaldnz wrote:

        > Musing about a tender for my Micro Navigator, on a mooring in quite
        > choppy water at times, the Pointy would perhaps make quite a stable
        > and handy little tender. My Elegant Punt went missing, then found
        > again on someones lawn. My wife said go get it. I said no.....it
        > didnt prove up to the job, best left where it is.
        > Wanting my tender to be as light as possible, I wondered about a
        > 1/4" bottom instead of 3/8". The boat was designed for heavy work,
        > crab pots and the like. Used as an underloaded tender, does anyone
        > who has used one have any thoughts about a lighter bottom?
        > Thanks,
        > DonB
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705065791:HM/A=1481650/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_real/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

        > 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

      • dbaldnz
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2003
          Thanks for your comments Rick.
          I do really need it to be light. The dinghy locker rent costs a
          fortune, and even the owners of the boat yard don't recommend
          chaining to the open racks. Vandels will reshape it.
          So that means cartopping.
          Maybe a few diagonal hit and miss strips of ply glued to the inside
          of the bottom? This seemed to work in racing dinghies where you
          stomp about.
          And probably epoxy taped chines without chine logs.
          DonB

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, sctree <sctree@d...> wrote:
          > Here's an uneducated guess from an owner/builde,r calm water
          rower, of a
          > Pointy Skiff.
          >
          > Built as designed I bet Pointy Skiff will do good for you. I know
          at
          > times every pound can count, and my guess is a 1/4" bottom would
          save
          > maybe 8 or 10 pounds, but you will have two nearly flat areas
          aprox. 3'
          > x 2' that are unsupported. I wonder how careful you would need to
          be to
          > prevent putting your foot through that expanse if it were only
          1/4"?
          > Maybe you could use removable duck boards? Handling her on shore
          would
          > also be a concern, although I have at times had 1/4" ply that I've
          felt
          > was stronger than some of the crummy 3/8" around here..
          >
          > You could add an additional skid or two to the bottom??
          >
          > And if always underloaded you might get away with shaving an inch
          or so
          > off the sheer all the way around??????
          >
          > Anyone else????????
          >
          > Rick
          >

          > dbaldnz wrote:
          >
          > > Musing about a tender for my Micro Navigator, on a mooring in
          quite
          > > choppy water at times, the Pointy would perhaps make quite a
          stable
          > > and handy little tender. My Elegant Punt went missing, then found
          > > again on someones lawn. My wife said go get it. I said no.....it
          > > didnt prove up to the job, best left where it is.
          > > Wanting my tender to be as light as possible, I wondered about a
          > > 1/4" bottom instead of 3/8". The boat was designed for heavy
          work,
          > > crab pots and the like. Used as an underloaded tender, does
          anyone
          > > who has used one have any thoughts about a lighter bottom?
          > > Thanks,
          > > DonB
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1
          705065791:HM/A=1481650/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/3
          00_real/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

          > > Bolger rules!!!
          > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead
          horses
          > > - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks,
          Fred' posts
          > > - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts and
          <snip> away
          > > - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
          Gloucester, MA,
          > > 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

          Service