RE: [bolger] Re: motorsailer under 20'

  • David Romasco
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 4, 2003
      Hal, I'm sure you're right. I've see plywood boats that turn out to be
      head-turners, and carvel-planked designs that said 'why bother'. It's the
      concept and the hand of the designer that make the difference. Considering
      PCB has been at it for, oh, about a half century or so, I guess he's got it
      right most of the time.... <G>

      David

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 4, 2003
        > It has an inboard diesel, flat bottom, carvel
        > construction? seemingly on plywood frames.

        Not to quibble, but strip planked rather than carvel. - PHV
      • rgammelgd@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 4, 2003
          I can't find this wonder! I went to the MAIB link - is that where it is?
          What should I have looked under? Can anyone send me a link? Thanks, Rosalie

        • harry James
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 4, 2003
            There is no doubt in my mind that you are absoulutely right in this.
            When he draws the lines he sees it all. I like to think I can visualize
            in three d pretty good from lines drawings, but every one of his boats
            that I have seen built have been unexpectedly more appealing to the eye.

            HJ

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 5, 2003
              --- "pvanderwaart <pvanderw@o...>" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:

              > Not to quibble, but strip planked rather than carvel. - PHV

              I'm not sure I know the difference ?!?!?

              I did build a strip 'planked' Kotick
              experiment last year, just to learn
              first hand what strip building was
              like. I was pleasantly surprised
              that it was soooo forgiving that it
              wasn't really much harder than working
              in plywood. I wonder if my experience
              would scale up to a 'real boat'?

              I keep coming back to my dream
              of building a Resolution; which
              seems fundamentally simple,
              [though big].

              --- rgammelgd@a... wrote:
              > I can't find this wonder!
              > I went to the MAIB link

              I saw it in the print version
              of the magazine, which is a
              *must read* for any Bolger fan.
            • pvanderwaart
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 5, 2003
                > strip planked rather than carvel. - PHV
                > I'm not sure I know the difference ?!?!?

                There are lots of variations on wood construction, and they blend
                into each other but "carvel" generally means planks that are wider
                than they are thick with caulking between planks. "Strip" means
                planks that are about square in section, and glued and/or nailed
                together.

                I think a big difference is that carvel inherently allows for the
                planks to swell as they absorb water; the caulking takes the stress.
                Strip assumes the planks won't change shape. Bolger describes
                planking being forced off the frames by the stress from swelling. As
                such, strip is a more modern construction made possible by waterproof
                glues and improved by things like epoxy that help keep the wood dry.

                The downside of strip construction is that the whole hull has to be
                surface finished, i.e. planed and sanded. (True also of carvel, but
                there are fewer seams and they are not dripping glue.) As I
                understand it, strip construction got its start in Maine where
                fishermen/lobstermen used it to build their own boats. The strips
                were cheaper than yacht-quality planking lumber, and the required
                skill level was less.

                Bolger's Resolution is carvel with cedar ceiling on the inside of the
                frames, and he has often written that it is the most pleasant
                construction to live with. Not an easy boat to build, however.
                Somewhere Bolger wrote somewhere that there is a timber that twists
                90 degress between each end and the middle, and that he was glad the
                he wasn't responsible for telling Story (the builder) how to do it.

                I am not much of a boat BUILDER at all, but I do think that amateurs
                are too fixated on the apparent easiness of ply construction when
                they don't have any experience with other types. If fitting a single
                strip is easier than fitting a huge panel, as I suppose it is, then
                strip construction should be easier than ply construction. If the
                boat you want uses an other-than-ply-panel construction, then the
                best path to the boat you want may be to expand your skill set,
                rather than searching for a design in a supposedly easier
                construction.

                Peter
              • rsmboatbuilder
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 5, 2003
                  http://makeashorterlink.com/?V6D952E63

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 5, 2003
                    I would add that in building in plywood, I have found frame with plywood over
                    is faster and easier than stitch and glue, which seems easier if you havn't
                    done either.

                    HJ

                    > I am not much of a boat BUILDER at all, but I do think that amateurs
                    > are too fixated on the apparent easiness of ply construction when
                    > they don't have any experience with other types. If fitting a single
                    > strip is easier than fitting a huge panel, as I suppose it is, then
                    > strip construction should be easier than ply construction. If the
                    > boat you want uses an other-than-ply-panel construction, then the
                    > best path to the boat you want may be to expand your skill set,
                    > rather than searching for a design in a supposedly easier
                    > construction.
                    >
                    > Peter

                    > 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349 - Unsubscribe:

                  • Ron Magen
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 6, 2003
                      Not to sound like a heretic, but has anybody looked at, or seen, a
                      Nimble 20 or 24?

                      Regards,
                      Ron Magen
                      Backyard Boatshop

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 6, 2003
                        > Not to sound like a heretic, but has anybody looked at, or seen, a
                        > Nimble 20 or 24?

                        Yes. When the Nimble 20 was first announced, maybe 25 years ago, I
                        was very excited. It seemed very much to my taste. Then when I saw
                        it, I didn't like it at all. I'm not really sure why, except that
                        some of the running rigging seemed crude, the rudder (thin flat
                        plate) seemed crude, the untapered aluminum spars seemed clunky, the
                        applied teak trim seemed klutzy, the cockpit seemed bathtubby. I had
                        doubts about the OB well. Stuff like that. I don't remember if I had
                        an opinion about the interior.

                        Nor do I remember being on a Nimble 24 at a boat show. It makes an
                        interesting comparison to the RobRoy 23.

                        I do not have credentials such that you should take my opinion about
                        construction, but they do seem pretty well built to me. I was put off
                        however by a story told by the guy in the boat at the boat show to
                        the effect that the boat was longer than the pre-announced length as
                        designed by Brewer because the hulls (or at least the first one)
                        changed shape a little as they came out of the mold. I guess the
                        topsides squeezed in a little and the loa increased by maybe an inch.
                        I'm a lot more realistic about fiberglass construction now than I was
                        then.

                        Now the Nimble 30 is a boat I admire greatly. It is very moderate in
                        every regard: displacement, beam, draft, sail area, etc. Where else
                        can you get a small yawl these days?

                        Peter (who is wondering if the Nimble 20 is a boat that was designed
                        without regard to whether it would show nicely at the boat show)
                      • John S Harper
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 7, 2003
                          Well I sailed a Nimble 20 for a few years and I liked it a lot.

                          Definitely a simple boat. Outboard in a well was great for keeping prop
                          in the water but a little noisy.

                          Leaving the mizzen set at night kept the boat from wandering around the
                          anchor.

                          To be honest, I had no complaints with the boat except for headroom and
                          that the v-berth is useless for adults.

                          I think they did non-cored and foam cored versions. Foam cored version
                          (what I had) felt really strong when given the push on the side test. I'm
                          now more leary of foam cored boats but I didn't have any issues.

                          Truth-be-told I wish I had kept the boat. I thought I wanted something
                          bigger; now I want something smaller!

                          Somebody buy my boat, so I can move on to the "next boat." :-)

                          http://www.ipass.net/sailboat/cp2596.htm

                          "pvanderwaart" <pvanderw@...> on 03/06/2003 06:43:18 PM

                          Please respond to bolger@yahoogroups.com

                          To: bolger@yahoogroups.com