Re: [bolger] steaming woods

  • andy wilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3 11:27 PM
      Spotted Gum,Blackbutt and Sydney bluegum [not Calif. growth] all steam well at 1 inch plank thickness/hr steaming if GREEN. You could try soaking dried hardwoods for days first. Who knows? Get steamed up! Andy
      "pauldayau <wattleweedooseeds@...>" <wattleweedooseeds@...> wrote:This weekend i vebeen playing with a steamer and bending some wood .
      most of my wood is old, salvaged stuff.
      i had no luck with douglas fir, of any thickness, baltic Pine all
      snapped. a bit of luck with maranti and ramin.
      i thgought I was doing something wrong until i found some scraps of
      MIchigan white Cedar given to me 10 years ago . A piece 3mm thick ,
      12" long bent into a hoop staight away, a piece 3/4" thick bent like
      rubber as well.
      our local Jarrah was steamed for 2 hours without looking like
      bending.
      next step is to cut some green trees and try bending them.
      This weekend i bought a small sawmill in bits .
      This boat /wood thing is starting to get a bit serious.
      has anyone had any experience with any of these woods?
      cheers paul

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Bolger rules!!!