Re: [bolger] Re: best dory for big surf

  • andy wilson
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2003
      Surfboats were once cold moulded but now composites and foam sandwich with sliding seat boxes as buoyancy. Electric bailers throw huge amounts out. Boats are only about 24-30 ins wide on wl at rest and very tippy without oars. At 26ft long they are slow with one rower. I have an old one as a commuter boat with double bottom and water ballast for some stability at rest. 6 hp 4 stroke flies. More like a 26 ft canoe.
      If one was decked and with a high rounded shelter for buoyant self righting plus big fresh water capacity dogged down in the bilge,it could be an ideal ocean crossing rowboat-much better than some that have made it ok,provided you think such things are sane.
      I carry a tiny running sail for silence and security more from long habit and general distrust of anything mechanical at sea. I have seen a very nice little tri made from one using cambered laminated cross beams and hobie[?] amas. It went like mad and was practically an open boat that had been over to New Guinea and all over the Solomons at almost nil cost as old surfboats are a give away. If you're flat broke and can find some friends who want an adventure in the wet tropics,this would be a lot better than most of the unsuitable deep sailboats that never get to go into all the isolated parts that are the main reason for being there. Hence my love affair with the AS29. Nothing,but nothing equals the freedom of this craft for inshore sailing in uncharted waters. Thanks Phil,I hope you know how good this craft is in Oz. Andy
      "pauldayau <wattleweedooseeds@...>" <wattleweedooseeds@...> wrote:--- In

      > 3) Get rid of shipped water quickly. I've never seen an Australian
      > Lifeguard Dory, but my impression is that they have a massively
      > buoyant bottom and huge drain holes right along the chine. The
      effect
      > is almost as if the thing is a giant surfboard with the topsides
      > being more important as a place to mount the oarlocks than for
      > keeping water out. When they plow out through high surf, with large
      > breakers combing the boat, the water rushes out the scuppers just
      as
      > fast as is comes in.

      I 've never seen scuppers on one.all that Ive seen were cold moulded
      narrow high sided boats for 4 rowers and a hlmsman with a sculling/
      steering oar . lots of weight for stability didnt see any kind of
      bailing system. they are usually raced out thruogh surf fast and on
      the return leg , as andy says they hang on for dear life.
      rarely seen for sail as they are rather bullet proff and get used to
      destruction.
      cheers paul

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Bolger rules!!!