Re: steaming woods

  • proaconstrictor <proaconstrictor@yahoo.c
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
      You can get really tight radius bends in wood that is backed with a
      strap. Most wood will give well under compression, and break under
      tension, so the strap, steel or whatever, will hold the weak tension
      side together. This might sound complex, but a jig consisting of
      nothing much more than two wooden hadles the length apart of the
      pieces you will bend, with a strap between them will instantly grab,
      and bend very tight radius'. Sometimes when bendign over an iron,
      nothing more than masking tape on the tension side will do wonders,
      but you can't put that in steam box.
    • andy wilson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2003
        Spotted Gum,Blackbutt and Sydney bluegum [not Calif. growth] all steam well at 1 inch plank thickness/hr steaming if GREEN. You could try soaking dried hardwoods for days first. Who knows? Get steamed up! Andy
        "pauldayau <wattleweedooseeds@...>" <wattleweedooseeds@...> wrote:This weekend i vebeen playing with a steamer and bending some wood .
        most of my wood is old, salvaged stuff.
        i had no luck with douglas fir, of any thickness, baltic Pine all
        snapped. a bit of luck with maranti and ramin.
        i thgought I was doing something wrong until i found some scraps of
        MIchigan white Cedar given to me 10 years ago . A piece 3mm thick ,
        12" long bent into a hoop staight away, a piece 3/4" thick bent like
        rubber as well.
        our local Jarrah was steamed for 2 hours without looking like
        bending.
        next step is to cut some green trees and try bending them.
        This weekend i bought a small sawmill in bits .
        This boat /wood thing is starting to get a bit serious.
        has anyone had any experience with any of these woods?
        cheers paul

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Bolger rules!!!