Re: [bolger] best dory for big surf

  • andy wilson
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2003
      David,our surfboats only have buoyancy in the ends and shipped seas dump into the bottom where an electric pump throws it out at a huge rate. Because these boats,which were our standard surf rescue craft before rubber duckies, have to race in a wide variety of conditions from flat calm to horrendous,they are built for speed through the water and may not be optimum for surf survival. This amounts to a heresy and I trust nobody is watching. The sharp bow and deep fore-foot so good at giving a long waterline and for punching out through the break at max speed may actually be a defect when coming back to the beach which is why the crew races aft and lfts the bows clear. The hull now resembles a banana. This way gives a bit of the best of both shapes in the one race. Otherwise max flare ,rocker and as near to fully decked as possible is the way to go in big surf. Learning to swim and survive in surf may be an asset also....Andy
      David Ryan <david@...> wrote:
      >> I'm interested in building a dory, and was wondering which would cope
      >> the best for getting out through the surf. I live in Australia, near
      >> the famous Bell's Beach. Waves are often at least a metre here.
      >> Any ideas? - Tom

      To go out through surf, a boat must be able to do at least one of
      three things well:

      1) Ride over waves. Rocker and flair are helpful in this regard.
      Flair helps to lift the bow over greenwater and white water, and a
      rockered shape resists the pivoting of the lift less, and keeps the
      stern from burying as easily as the boat is lifted and shoved
      backwards. Almost nothing is helpful when faced with a cresting wave.
      The bow can't lift fast enough and the wave combs over the boat.
      Compounding this, the degree of lift from the bow is often just
      enough to bury the stern without clearing the cresting wave. As the
      wave pushes the boat backward, the stern digs in, and the boat turns
      sideways. Game over.

      2) Keep water out. I've played around in surf 3-4 meters in height in
      a spray-skirted kayak. As long as you keep your wits about you, and
      your skirt stays on, you're fine. When the skirt blows off, there's
      nothing that can help you.

      3) Get rid of shipped water quickly. I've never seen an Australian
      Lifeguard Dory, but my impression is that they have a massively
      buoyant bottom and huge drain holes right along the chine. The effect
      is almost as if the thing is a giant surfboard with the topsides
      being more important as a place to mount the oarlocks than for
      keeping water out. When they plow out through high surf, with large
      breakers combing the boat, the water rushes out the scuppers just as
      fast as is comes in.

      Speed is also an essential feature. Speed, along with a good feel for
      the rhythm of the waves keeps you out of the sort of situations where
      the above features are helpful. High flotation is also a good idea.
      If you play in the surf, sooner or later the waves are going to get
      the best of you. The higher your swamped boat floats, the more easily
      you'll be able to guide it back to the beach.

      Send pictures!

      David
      --

      C.E.P.
      415 W.46th Street

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Bolger rules!!!

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 2003
        --- In

        > 3) Get rid of shipped water quickly. I've never seen an Australian
        > Lifeguard Dory, but my impression is that they have a massively
        > buoyant bottom and huge drain holes right along the chine. The
        effect
        > is almost as if the thing is a giant surfboard with the topsides
        > being more important as a place to mount the oarlocks than for
        > keeping water out. When they plow out through high surf, with large
        > breakers combing the boat, the water rushes out the scuppers just
        as
        > fast as is comes in.

        I 've never seen scuppers on one.all that Ive seen were cold moulded
        narrow high sided boats for 4 rowers and a hlmsman with a sculling/
        steering oar . lots of weight for stability didnt see any kind of
        bailing system. they are usually raced out thruogh surf fast and on
        the return leg , as andy says they hang on for dear life.
        rarely seen for sail as they are rather bullet proff and get used to
        destruction.
        cheers paul
      • andy wilson
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2003
          Surfboats were once cold moulded but now composites and foam sandwich with sliding seat boxes as buoyancy. Electric bailers throw huge amounts out. Boats are only about 24-30 ins wide on wl at rest and very tippy without oars. At 26ft long they are slow with one rower. I have an old one as a commuter boat with double bottom and water ballast for some stability at rest. 6 hp 4 stroke flies. More like a 26 ft canoe.
          If one was decked and with a high rounded shelter for buoyant self righting plus big fresh water capacity dogged down in the bilge,it could be an ideal ocean crossing rowboat-much better than some that have made it ok,provided you think such things are sane.
          I carry a tiny running sail for silence and security more from long habit and general distrust of anything mechanical at sea. I have seen a very nice little tri made from one using cambered laminated cross beams and hobie[?] amas. It went like mad and was practically an open boat that had been over to New Guinea and all over the Solomons at almost nil cost as old surfboats are a give away. If you're flat broke and can find some friends who want an adventure in the wet tropics,this would be a lot better than most of the unsuitable deep sailboats that never get to go into all the isolated parts that are the main reason for being there. Hence my love affair with the AS29. Nothing,but nothing equals the freedom of this craft for inshore sailing in uncharted waters. Thanks Phil,I hope you know how good this craft is in Oz. Andy
          "pauldayau <wattleweedooseeds@...>" <wattleweedooseeds@...> wrote:--- In