Re: Sheet ply canoe yawl.

  • Bob Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2003
      > The hull shape is not so very different from the Buehler Emily and
      > Juno, I guess, but in the small size, with half the hull volume
      > devoted to water ballast, it doesn't seem like a practical
      > proposition to me.

      As Bolger says in the text, it would be better to chop off the vee and
      give it a flat bottom. This takes you essentially to an enlarged
      version of his "Sweet Pea", the double-chined plywood pea-pod (which
      has always been IMHO one of the best looking small Bolger boats). If I
      were to build a sheet ply canoe yawl, I would simply scale up the
      "Sweet Pea" to the desired dimensions, and use the cabin/deck details
      from the Canoe Yawl cartoon. I would then decide whether shoal draft
      or clear cabin space were more important to me. In the case of the
      former, then I would give her a centerboard or dagger board (less
      intrusion in cabin, better hydrodynamics, less forgiving in
      groundings). If a clear cabin were more important, I'd go with a
      shallow Micro style keel, perhaps with a centerboard housed in the keel.

      Bob