Junk Rigged Birdwatcher

  • Paul <kayaker37@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27 8:04 PM
      I just noticed on another list that the latest issue of Duckworks
      Magazine has an article on a junk rigged Birdwatcher:

      http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/articles/birdwatcher/junk.htm
    • s_paskey <s_paskey@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 28 5:33 AM
        An interesting idea, and it looks great. But it's contrary to the
        overriding theme of Birdwatcher -- in a word, "simplicity." As PCB
        explained, the original rig was intended to be "so quick to strike
        down that there would be no temptation to try to row her with the rig
        standing . . ."
      • David Ryan
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28 5:58 AM
          >An interesting idea, and it looks great. But it's contrary to the
          >overriding theme of Birdwatcher -- in a word, "simplicity." As PCB
          >explained, the original rig was intended to be "so quick to strike
          >down that there would be no temptation to try to row her with the rig
          >standing . . ."

          Certainly the junk rig wouldn't be a quick/simple to build as the
          sprit, but I'd reserve judgement on how easily it's reefed/struck
          until I was the one doing it. Hasn't PCB been offering junk-rig
          variants for their handiness?

          -D
          --

          C.E.P.
          415 W.46th Street
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28 8:45 AM
            I thought the junk was offered as being handy under sail. But you're
            right, I haven't sailed with one myself. In any event, it occurs to
            me that one might be able to borrow the solution PCB used on "Camper"
            (the 18-foot Birdwatcher-style skiff). Camper has a gaff rig with a
            tabernacle, and it's designed so that one can fold the whole thing up
            very quickly. Perhaps a "chinese gaff" (as opposed to a more
            conventional chinese lug) could be similarly arranged?

            With Birdwatcher, on the other hand, you need to unstep the mast and
            stow it.

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:

            > Certainly the junk rig wouldn't be a quick/simple to build as the
            sprit, but I'd reserve judgement on how easily it's reefed/struck
            until I was the one doing it. Hasn't PCB been offering junk-rig
            variants for their handiness?
          • craig o'donnell
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 28 2:53 PM

              >With Birdwatcher, on the other hand, you need to unstep the mast and
              >stow it.

              Well, with a tiny bit of creativity the BW mast would be as easy to
              manage as one in a tabernacle.

              --
              Craig O'Donnell
              Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

              -- Macintosh kinda guy
              Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
              _________________________________
              ---
            • craig o'donnell
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 28 2:57 PM
                >Hasn't PCB been offering junk-rig
                >variants for their handiness?

                Yah, and I have a summary of variant junk rigs including his on my
                Cheap Pages/Chinese Lugsails.
                --

              • joe_bftzplk <stewtone@msn.com>
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 28 3:08 PM
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "s_paskey <s_paskey@y...>"

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 28 3:14 PM
                    <s_paskey@y...> wrote:
                    > I thought the junk was offered as being handy under sail. But
                    you're
                    > right, I haven't sailed with one myself. In any event, it occurs
                    > me that one might be able to borrow the solution PCB used
                    on "Camper"
                    > (the 18-foot Birdwatcher-style skiff). Camper has a gaff rig with
                    > tabernacle, and it's designed so that one can fold the whole thing
                    up
                    > very quickly. Perhaps a "chinese gaff" (as opposed to a more
                    > conventional chinese lug) could be similarly arranged?

                    The boat in the "Birdwatcher" folder in the files is actually Camper
                    rather than Birdwatcher, isn't it?

                    Sorry for the double post.

                    Chris Stewart
                    on the banks of the Hudson, daydreaming
                  • Paul <kayaker37@hotmail.com>
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 28 3:43 PM
                      Yes, design #640 is referred to as Camper, from a MAIB article I
                      think. Not sure how it ended up in the Birdwatcher folder.