winter cover solution!

  • dnjost <djost@ma.ultranet.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20 3:42 PM
      After dealing with tarps sagging and ripping and fearing that the
      weight of our recent snow would do danger to the MICRO Firefly, I
      came up with what I think is a good solution for a winter frame.

      I purchased 10 ten foot lengths of electrical conduit and a bender
      from the Home Despot and 10 connectors.

      I cut five of these into 5 foot halves and then bent the remaining so
      that they would form a roof. the couples hold the roof to the five
      foot posts.

      Next, I drilled 3/16th inch holes two feet off the bottom to receive
      some eye bolts.

      I linke them all together with rope from frame to frame and then
      tossed a fresh tarp over the whole mess making it fast to the
      eyebolts. Other lengths of line hold the thing to stakes in the
      frozen tundra.

      This survived the blizzard of 2003 in grand style. Sheds snow and
      rain like a duck.

      total cost = $56 including a fresh tarp and the tubing bender.

      This must be in the why didn't I think of this before (I have used
      electrical conduit to make frames for gardens in the past!)

      Happy Boating
      David Jost
    • senorian <senorian@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21 6:23 AM
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost <djost@m...>" <djost@m...>
        wrote:
        > After dealing with tarps sagging and ripping and fearing that the
        > weight of our recent snow would do danger to the MICRO Firefly, I
        > came up with what I think is a good solution for a winter frame.
        >
        > I purchased 10 ten foot lengths of electrical conduit and a bender
        > from the Home Despot and 10 connectors.

        David Jost

        Hi
        Could you post a few more details?
        Did you sink the uprights into the "frozen tundra"?
        How were the uprights spaced and held apart?
        Are the roof parts curved or do they come to a peak?
        What is the length and breadth?
        Thanks
      • dnjost <djost@ma.ultranet.com>
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 21 2:02 PM
          The uprights are attached by lines to nearby trees and when possible
          to rebars driven into the frozen tundra. tent stakes work well prior
          to the frost setting in. The eyebolts go through each upright 1 foot
          up and serve a dual purpose. Staking to ground, and a purchase for
          each tarp grommet.

          the roof was made by bending the middle tube 45 degrees on each end
          and 45 degrees in the middle. This made a peaked roof. Width is
          determined by where I bend the ends. I chose 1 foot up making each
          roof "truss" span a length of 7 feet. This works well for Micro
          since she is only 6 feet maximum.

          I will adapt this for the catboat I have coming soon!

          > David Jost
          >
          > Hi
          > Could you post a few more details?
          > Did you sink the uprights into the "frozen tundra"?
          > How were the uprights spaced and held apart?
          > Are the roof parts curved or do they come to a peak?
          > What is the length and breadth?
          > Thanks
        • Derek Waters
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23 8:51 PM