Re: Glues for boatbuilding

  • Ron Magen
    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 17 11:19 AM
      Jake,
      If by 'non-marine' you mean 'non-moisture resistant' than just about any
      adhesive will do. . .

      Before Epoxy, and the 'tube goo's ' there was Resorcinol. While this
      stuff is a 'waterproof' adhesive it does illustrate the typical
      characteristic of most glues . . . it REQUIRES a TIGHT JOINT for optimal
      strength because it is NOT 'gap filling'.

      MY favorite is RAKA 5:1 epoxy with woodflour filler, mixed 'to taste'
      for the application at hand. It IS WATERPROOF. Next in line, and my 'all
      around' wood glue {YES, I use it on boats, and outdoor projects} is
      TiteBond II {by Borden, I think}. It IS 'moisture resistant'.
      The rest of the typical woodworking glue's; TiteBond, Franklin's Hide
      Glue, etc. are more or less affected by moisture.

      While the Polyurethane's {the 'foaming' ones} are good, they DO NOT fill
      gaps with strength and are MUCH TOO EXPENSIVE for large jobs {MY
      opinion}.

      Regards & Good Luck,
      Ron Magen
      Backyard Boatshop

      <jakeman19652002@...>
      > Subject: glue
      >
      > Hi. I am interested in glue. Are ther any glues that are non marine
      > that can be used in boat building. Thanks Jake

      > Message: 8
      > Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 09:52:30 -0900
      > From: Harry James <welshman@...>
      > Subject: Re: glue
      >
      > We have had very good luck with PL Premium, a polyurethane
      construction
      > glue. It comes in a yellow tube, you use a caulking gun to dispense
      it. Your
      > local hardware store should have it.
      >

      > HJ
    • Jim Kessler
      Message 42 of 42 , Nov 8, 2007
        You get an autographed copy if you buy it directly from Dynamite here...
        http://www.instantboats.com/books.htm

        Jim