Re: teal

  • rdchamberland <cha62759@traverse.com>
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2003
      Hi Ken, saw out your panels without the bevel. There is no bevel on
      the sheer. Plane lightly on the chine edge to get the correct bevel.
      The chine logs are cut with the bevel. Assemble the sides to the
      frames. After the chine logs are attached touch up the bevel with a
      sanding board. This is a 2x4 longer than the width of the boat.
      Sandpaper is attached on one end. Lay the board across the beam and sand.
      Bob Chamberland

      -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Kongslie" <ken@k...> wrote:
      > Question:
      > do I cut the side panels at a bevel?
      > Payson book doesnt mention it, however, the section drawing on bolger's
      > plans indicates a bevel. maybe unintended drafting?
      > thanks
      > ken
    • Hal Lynch
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2003
        On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 10:22 PM, Ken Kongslie wrote:

        > Question:
        > do I cut the side panels at a bevel?
        > Payson book doesnt mention it, however, the section drawing on bolger's
        > plans indicates a bevel. maybe unintended drafting?
        > thanks
        > ken

        The sides and the chine logs must be beveled. In retrospect
        I think the best time to do that is before assembly.
        I did the bevels on my Teal after the sides and logs were
        assembled and the boast was 3D. I used a four foot 1X4
        and sandpaper. Worked just fine but I am not sure I
        recommend it.

        hal
      • Ken Kongslie
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 13, 2003
          would it be ok to use a single 1 x 4 fir vert. grain chine instead of two
          1/2 x 3's?
          ken
        • Bruce Hallman <brucehallman@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 13, 2003
            --- "Ken Kongslie" <ken@k...> wrote:
            > would it be ok to use a single
            > 1 x 4 fir vert. grain chine instead of two
            > 1/2 x 3's?
            > ken

            I might not understand your question
            but my free opinion would be:

            Yes, but good luck getting
            it to bend. I am guessing
            that the doubled 1/2 inch
            is for the purpose of making
            the wood bend easier.
          • alaskamaz <mzeiger@hotmail.com>
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 14, 2003
              My advice is don't do it! If I remember correctly, I tried that on my
              Teal, and it was very difficult, and possibly a disaster (funny, as
              time passes, the horror fades). The doubling's a little harder to keep
              going as you put it on, but much less wear and tear on the builder,
              and waste of wood.

              Mark Zeiger
              Juneau, Alaska

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman <brucehallman@y...>"
              <brucehallman@y...> wrote:
              > --- "Ken Kongslie" <ken@k...> wrote:
              > > would it be ok to use a single
              > > 1 x 4 fir vert. grain chine instead of two
              > > 1/2 x 3's?
              > > ken
              >
              > I might not understand your question
              > but my free opinion would be:
              >
              > Yes, but good luck getting
              > it to bend. I am guessing
              > that the doubled 1/2 inch
              > is for the purpose of making
              > the wood bend easier.
            • Hal Lynch
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 14, 2003
                On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 08:12 PM, Bruce Hallman
                <brucehallman@...> wrote:

                > --- "Ken Kongslie" <ken@k...> wrote:
                >> would it be ok to use a single
                >> 1 x 4 fir vert. grain chine instead of two
                >> 1/2 x 3's?
                >> ken
                >
                > I might not understand your question
                > but my free opinion would be:
                >
                > Yes, but good luck getting
                > it to bend. I am guessing
                > that the doubled 1/2 inch
                > is for the purpose of making
                > the wood bend easier.

                When I bent the chines onto my Teal I was glad I
                did them in two layers.

                hal
              • rdchamberland <cha62759@traverse.com>
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 14, 2003
                  I tried for about 5 minutes to bend a 1" sticknon my Teal. Follow the
                  drawings.
                  Bob Chamberland