Re: Gaff Jaws - leather advice?

  • prthober <prthober@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
      Don,

      On my Chebbacco I put a layer of 6 oz. fiberglass where the boom and
      gaff jaws contact the mast. I had intended to leather the jaws but
      did not make them large enough. My jaws are made of laminated
      plywood. After a thousand miles or more of sailing there is only
      slightly noticeable wear on the mast and jaws. I expect that it will
      be many times this amount of sailing before I need to do any
      maintenance. Neither the boom or gaff jaws seem to exert much
      pressure against the mast.

      Paul

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dbaldnz <oink@p...>" <oink@p...>

    • dbaldnz <oink@paradise.net.nz>
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
        Thanks Paul and the others for your advice.
        My jaws too are laminated mahogany ply, and fir mast, so the glass
        wrapping sounds like the simplest for the boom.
        I will try some token leather on the gaff and batten jaws and see
        how it goes.
        DonB

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "prthober <prthober@y...>"