Re: teal

  • pvanderwaart <pvanderw@optonline.net>
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2003
      > Question:
      > do I cut the side panels at a bevel?
      > Payson book doesnt mention it, however, the section drawing on
      bolger's
      > plans indicates a bevel. maybe unintended drafting?

      There is very little that is unintended in PCB's drafting, especially
      in plans meant for sale to beginners as the Payson plans are. When I
      built my Elegant Punt, which is basically the same as the Teal, I cut
      the side panels without bevel, and attached the chines without bevel.
      It took about an hour to plane the bevel on the chines, using a
      straightedge across the bottom to guage the angle. I think that is
      what was intended. Using a sharp plane is one of the pleasantest
      parts of boatbuilding.

      There is no point in trying to cut 1/4" ply at a bevel since it takes
      a single pass with a Surform tool to bevel it. At least, that's how I
      see it.

      Peter
    • rdchamberland <cha62759@traverse.com>
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2003
        Hi Ken, saw out your panels without the bevel. There is no bevel on
        the sheer. Plane lightly on the chine edge to get the correct bevel.
        The chine logs are cut with the bevel. Assemble the sides to the
        frames. After the chine logs are attached touch up the bevel with a
        sanding board. This is a 2x4 longer than the width of the boat.
        Sandpaper is attached on one end. Lay the board across the beam and sand.
        Bob Chamberland

        -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Kongslie" <ken@k...> wrote:
        > Question:
        > do I cut the side panels at a bevel?
        > Payson book doesnt mention it, however, the section drawing on bolger's
        > plans indicates a bevel. maybe unintended drafting?
        > thanks
        > ken
      • Hal Lynch
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2003
          On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 10:22 PM, Ken Kongslie wrote:

          > Question:
          > do I cut the side panels at a bevel?
          > Payson book doesnt mention it, however, the section drawing on bolger's
          > plans indicates a bevel. maybe unintended drafting?
          > thanks
          > ken

          The sides and the chine logs must be beveled. In retrospect
          I think the best time to do that is before assembly.
          I did the bevels on my Teal after the sides and logs were
          assembled and the boast was 3D. I used a four foot 1X4
          and sandpaper. Worked just fine but I am not sure I
          recommend it.

          hal
        • Ken Kongslie
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 13, 2003
            would it be ok to use a single 1 x 4 fir vert. grain chine instead of two
            1/2 x 3's?
            ken
          • Bruce Hallman <brucehallman@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 13, 2003
              --- "Ken Kongslie" <ken@k...> wrote:
              > would it be ok to use a single
              > 1 x 4 fir vert. grain chine instead of two
              > 1/2 x 3's?
              > ken

              I might not understand your question
              but my free opinion would be:

              Yes, but good luck getting
              it to bend. I am guessing
              that the doubled 1/2 inch
              is for the purpose of making
              the wood bend easier.
            • alaskamaz <mzeiger@hotmail.com>
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 14, 2003
                My advice is don't do it! If I remember correctly, I tried that on my
                Teal, and it was very difficult, and possibly a disaster (funny, as
                time passes, the horror fades). The doubling's a little harder to keep
                going as you put it on, but much less wear and tear on the builder,
                and waste of wood.

                Mark Zeiger
                Juneau, Alaska

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman <brucehallman@y...>"
                <brucehallman@y...> wrote:
                > --- "Ken Kongslie" <ken@k...> wrote:
                > > would it be ok to use a single
                > > 1 x 4 fir vert. grain chine instead of two
                > > 1/2 x 3's?
                > > ken
                >
                > I might not understand your question
                > but my free opinion would be:
                >
                > Yes, but good luck getting
                > it to bend. I am guessing
                > that the doubled 1/2 inch
                > is for the purpose of making
                > the wood bend easier.
              • Hal Lynch
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 14, 2003
                  On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 08:12 PM, Bruce Hallman
                  <brucehallman@...> wrote:

                  > --- "Ken Kongslie" <ken@k...> wrote:
                  >> would it be ok to use a single
                  >> 1 x 4 fir vert. grain chine instead of two
                  >> 1/2 x 3's?
                  >> ken
                  >
                  > I might not understand your question
                  > but my free opinion would be:
                  >
                  > Yes, but good luck getting
                  > it to bend. I am guessing
                  > that the doubled 1/2 inch
                  > is for the purpose of making
                  > the wood bend easier.

                  When I bent the chines onto my Teal I was glad I
                  did them in two layers.

                  hal
                • rdchamberland <cha62759@traverse.com>
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 14, 2003
                    I tried for about 5 minutes to bend a 1" sticknon my Teal. Follow the
                    drawings.
                    Bob Chamberland