Gaff Jaws - leather advice?

  • dbaldnz <oink@paradise.net.nz>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2003
      I am rigging my Micro Navigator, and would like to use leather to
      protect the wooden mast.
      If anyone has done this, I would appreciate their advice on my
      following assumptions-

      Boom - because the boom jaws do not move up and down, the leather
      should be fixed to the mast?
      Gaff and batten 'jawlets' - the leather should be wrapped around the
      jaws?

      Should the leather be stretched and tacked? Should adhesive be used
      to stop the leather moving?

      What type and thickness of leather? I have found a source but need
      to know what is best.

      Thanks,
      DonB
    • Derek Waters
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2003
        Hi Don

        Jamie Orr's beautiful Chebacco has an elegant arrangement of hardwood strips
        on the mast. IIRC the idea is to give a surface which will withstand the
        friction and neither traps moisture nor requires weakening the mast with
        tack holes. The picture I have seems to show the jaws leathered on the boom
        but not the gaff. Maybe Jamie will comment?

        For my part, I've been thinking about putting a wrap of glass-cloth at the
        affected mast sections. Somewhere, (perhaps from the local leather store,
        where the manager is a sailor) I picked up the notion that a fairly heavy
        latigo should do fine for the leathering on the jaws. Form it wet of
        course. Tom Cunliffe recommends tallow as the lubricant - perhaps anhydrous
        lanolin would work.

        Have you thought about adding a tumbler between the jaws? They used to use
        hardwood, but a chunk of black UHMW would not offend the eye too much.

        cheers
        Derek
      • Richard Spelling
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2003
          I solved that problem by not solving that problem.

          Leave the rope that holds the gaff onto the mast a little loose, and the
          saddle just hangs there, and doesn't rub against the mast with any notable
          force. All the wear on the paint on my mast at that spot was before I
          realized the holding rope (short rope spanning tips of jaws, which is really
          just there to keep the gaff jaws from snagging the halyards) was so tight
          that when I raised the peak halyards I was jaming the gaff against the sail.

          If you are planning extensive cruising, I would use the leather or
          something. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Design for a loose fit, and
          repaint every couple years.

        • jas_orr <jas_orr@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2003
            Thanks, Derek, a compliment for Wayward Lass always get my
            attention....

            There's a picture of her mast arrangement at www.chebacco.com in "new
            articles", issue one, in "A letter from Jamie". The last picture,
            labelled mast.jpg, shows the strips. My mast was getting a little
            chewed up, mostly when I was reefed, as my reefing arrangement at the
            tack pulls up on one side or the other of the jaws. (The first reef
            line is attached on one side, and the second on the other.)

            I used copper tacks, no glue, to attach leather to the inside of the
            boom jaws. I also tacked some around the ends of both boom and gaff
            where they bear on the mast, (where a tumbler would go). Richard is
            right that when the gaff is raised there is very little chafe, but
            I've found that when I'm motoring with the sails down, wave action
            makes the end of the gaff chafe against the mast. I used pieces of
            sailmaker's leather because I had some on hand, but latigo would be
            better, I think.

            It might have been overkill, but the combination of strips and
            leather solved my chafing problem. You could always see what happens
            with both mast and jaws bare -- Wayward Lass' jaws are hard oak,
            while her mast is soft spruce. If you used harder wood it might not
            wear so much.

            Looking forward to seeing some pics of Navigator under sail.

            Jamie

          • prthober <prthober@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
              Don,

              On my Chebbacco I put a layer of 6 oz. fiberglass where the boom and
              gaff jaws contact the mast. I had intended to leather the jaws but
              did not make them large enough. My jaws are made of laminated
              plywood. After a thousand miles or more of sailing there is only
              slightly noticeable wear on the mast and jaws. I expect that it will
              be many times this amount of sailing before I need to do any
              maintenance. Neither the boom or gaff jaws seem to exert much
              pressure against the mast.

              Paul

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dbaldnz <oink@p...>" <oink@p...>

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
                Thanks Paul and the others for your advice.
                My jaws too are laminated mahogany ply, and fir mast, so the glass
                wrapping sounds like the simplest for the boom.
                I will try some token leather on the gaff and batten jaws and see
                how it goes.
                DonB

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "prthober <prthober@y...>"