RE : [bolger] Re: bolgers designs

  • timothyennuinet <timothy@ennui.net>
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 30, 2003
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Doug Harrison <prototype@c...> wrote:
      > 1/29/2003 2:47:59 PM, "Philippe Peltier" <phil.peltier@w...> wrote:
      >
      > >Eh... It seems that Bolger is not very fond of modern means of
      > >communication, is he ?
      >
      > He probably figures he will get fewer nuisance inquiries from people
      if they have to pay for a long distance call to a fax
      > machine as opposed to email.

      I asked him about this when my wife and I visited him and susan about
      a design question, and it has to do with that, yes. But also because
      he figured if he had a published electronic address, he would never
      get any designing done! He said he does not spend that much time
      looking at web sites and such since the internet is an 'amazing time
      sink'. I didn't ask for details, but it sounded like he had learned
      from hard experience just how much of a black hole web surfing can be!
      We asked him about the DB idea, and yes, again they are actually
      compiling the designs.. all of them.. but it was said that (to
      paraphrase) 'Phil wants to have all of the designs with personal
      comments from him. Many of them don't have that yet and he doesn't
      want to make them available without at least some idea of his thoughts
      during design'

      So, it seems that it's really a combination of things. Hey folks, we
      are talking about TWO people here. They are trying to:

      1) Respond to new inquiries about designs in a timely fashion
      2) Design new boats
      3) Catalog old designs
      4) Keep up with the construction of existing designs
      5) Take care of a herd of cats
      6) etc..

      That's lots of work. I can completely understand why they would want
      to put a bottleneck in place for inquiries vis a vis a fax machine.
      And why the idea of cataloguing all his old designs vs. doing new work
      might not take even 5th place priority among all the other things they
      are doing.

      --T

      PS: RESOLUTION looks really spiffy in their front yard. :)
    • Bruce Hallman <brucehallman@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 30, 2003
        --- "timothyennuinet wrote:
        > ...why the idea of cataloguing all
        > his old designs vs. doing new work
        > might not take even 5th place priority
        > among all the other things they
        > are doing.

        Exactly. He has better things to do!

        Never the less, I think that is exactly why
        putting together a study of his 'body
        of work' would make a great dissertation
        for someone, essentially an academic act.

        On paper, but better yet, HTML'ized!