Re: [bolger] Re: banning of member

  • Chance Curtis
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
      Was he banned or was it a Yahoo problem? How about an update ?
      CCG
      Paul McLellan <bysc@...> wrote:Heads up bolgerados. No reason, warning or notice was given to John.
      His last post was on top of a very long, entertaining and sometimes
      confusing thread called "Flogging a dead horse" He mentioned
      something like flogging a dead horse being akin to "Spanking the
      Monkey" I am not sure in which nautical vein John was speaking but a
      quick internet search of the term "Spanking the Monkey" led me to a
      rock group, a cartoon and a porn site. I did not come across any
      reference to the famous Brass Monkey and the balls mentioned on these
      very pages. Possibly some of the more articulate wordsmiths could
      provide clarification As John is banned and therefore silenced, I
      would appreciate comments and action on this matter on his behalf and
      hopefully for the group. Is the moderator allowed to be judge jury
      and excecutioner and indiscriminately unilaterally behave like this?
      Thanks -- Paul McLellan
      --- In bolger@y..., "David Romasco" <dromasco@g...> wrote:
      > Too much or too little is heard here. why was he banned? Need I
      say a
      > libertarian is as a Libertarian does?
      >
      > David Romasco

      If
      > I disappear because of this post would all of you Bolger builders
      keep
      > on top of this matter to ensure equity is served. Losing someone of
      > John's expertise as part of this group would be a severe blow.
      > Thanks--Paul alwaiting spring to get going again on Bolger houseboat

      posts
      > - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts and <snip>
      away
      > - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester,
      MA,
      > 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
      > - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@y...
      > - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@y...

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Bolger rules!!!

    • Chance Curtis
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
        Was he banned or was it a Yahoo problem? How about an update ?
        CCG
        Paul McLellan <bysc@...> wrote: Heads up bolgerados. No reason, warning or notice was given to John.
        His last post was on top of a very long, entertaining and sometimes
        confusing thread called "Flogging a dead horse" He mentioned
        something like flogging a dead horse being akin to "Spanking the
        Monkey" I am not sure in which nautical vein John was speaking but a
        quick internet search of the term "Spanking the Monkey" led me to a
        rock group, a cartoon and a porn site. I did not come across any
        reference to the famous Brass Monkey and the balls mentioned on these
        very pages. Possibly some of the more articulate wordsmiths could
        provide clarification As John is banned and therefore silenced, I
        would appreciate comments and action on this matter on his behalf and
        hopefully for the group. Is the moderator allowed to be judge jury
        and excecutioner and indiscriminately unilaterally behave like this?
        Thanks -- Paul McLellan
        --- In bolger@y..., "David Romasco" <dromasco@g...> wrote:
        > Too much or too little is heard here. why was he banned? Need I
        say a
        > libertarian is as a Libertarian does?
        >
        > David Romasco

      • Jim Pope
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
          Hi Group,

          I dunno about "Spanking the Monkey". Questionable, I suppose, since the only usage that I know of is in
          relation to its sexual connotation.

          But.
          The phrase "Cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey!" in fact relates to the use of a brass rack
          called a monkey in which to keep a ready number of iron cannon balls on deck between each cannon on a warship's
          gun deck. Iron and brass have very different expansion coefficients and in bitter weather the monkeys would
          hold fewer cannon balls secure against the ship's rolling. How cold it had to be to cause this failure I have
          no idea.
          The expression is however an old one and a legitimate descriptor of an awfully cold day at sea.

          Jim

        • Richard Spelling
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
            I think the original "monkey" poster wasn't a native english speaker, so
            even though that is only connotation, it might have been a legitimate error.

          • gbb132000 <gbb132000@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
              We should all be carefull about our language. After all, this group
              ought to be a safe place for kids. On the other hand, the phrase
              wasn't all that big a deal; banning sounds awfully harsh.

              Some phrases of that sort have become so common in our language that
              people use them without thinking about what the literal meaning is.
              That is sloppy, but banning, again, seems harsh.

              The 'brass monkey' explanation was interesting - never heard that.
              I've often wondered where one would find a brass monkey. Wooden
              indians are common, but brass monkeys seem scarce. ;o)

              gbb

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@c...>