Re: Rowing / fishing boat - Opinions needed!

  • dbaldnz <oink@paradise.net.nz>
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2002
      Rich, when I go to your Fortune City hosted web page, I can't see
      much, because it is overlaid by Fortune City Wallpaper. This must be
      the ultimate in advert supported 'free' web pages.
      DonB

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "rmdeming <thedemings@s...>"
    • jbatesblnk <JBatesBlnk@aol.com>
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2003
        George,

        Take a look at Bolger's Sweet Pea design (available from Payson). In
        BWAOM he has high praise for it's rowing ability and seaworthiness.
        Payson rowed his standing up, so I would guess it would be OK for
        fishing. Most find it a very pretty boat, always a plus.

        I'd suggest that you forgo the whole slipping keel assembly. It looks
        like one of Phil's experiments that may indeed work, but is sure to
        drive you nuts over time. If you really want to sail it, figure out a
        centerboard.

        Have fun with whichever one you build.

        John

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gbb132000 <gbb132000@y...>"
        <gbb132000@y...> wrote:
        > I'm building Bolger Nymph, and coming along well enough that I
        > already know I will want another boat.
        >
        > The second boat should be between 12' and 16', long by appx 4'
        wide.
        > I'd like it to row well, but have reasonable stability for
        fishing.
        > Looking for the best possible compromise between rowing performance
        > and stability.
        >
        > I've looked at Bolger Gypsy, Michalak Roar2, and boatdesigns.com
        > Peeper.
        >
        > I realize that you folks are kind of shy about stating your
        opinions,
        > but please tell me your thoughts. ;o)
        >
        > George
      • David Ryan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2003
          >I'm building Bolger Nymph, and coming along well enough that I
          >already know I will want another boat.
          >
          >The second boat should be between 12' and 16', long by appx 4' wide.
          >I'd like it to row well, but have reasonable stability for fishing.
          >Looking for the best possible compromise between rowing performance
          >and stability.

          I've used the Teal and Gull extensively for fishing off the beach in
          Montauk. The Teal is more stable, and rows well enough to get the job
          done. The sailing is a nice bonus. I troll the coves under sail power
          and kill stripers when everyone else is skunked.

          The Gull is a GREAT fishing boat, especially if you have to go
          out/come in through surf. The Teal tends to bury her nose going out,
          and is less predictable coming back it when it gets surfed. Yes, it's
          more tender than the Teal, but still enough to make good casts from a
          sitting position. In exchange for a little more tenderness, the The
          Gull has more flat out speed, handles the waves better, and goes
          about 3.5 mph at a "walking effort" of rowing, and she looks so
          pretty. The other guys who fish off the beach all use kayaks, and
          they all envy my Gull. But there are times when I miss being able to
          put up a sail!

          I think the Surf would be a good choice as well. Can't row any worse
          than the Teal, and probably sails better. Fast to build and pretty!
          Less flair and rocker than the Gull, so she won't be as good in the
          impact zone, but still probably as good or better than the Teal.

          I'm still trying to decide between a Zephyr and a Big Dory for two
          person off the beach fishing.

          In my opinion, all other suggestions have been needless complicated.
          It's a fishboat! Build it fast and go fishing!

          YIBB,

          David
          --

          C.E.P.
          415 W.46th Street
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2003
            John-

            I looked at the Payson site, but can't find a description of Sweet
            Pea... though he does offer a sail for it. Am I missing something?
            gbb--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "jbatesblnk <JBatesBlnk@a...>"

          • pseudospark <shansen@tiac.net>
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2003
              <gbb132000@y...> wrote:
              > I looked at the Payson site, but can't find a description of Sweet
              > Pea... though he does offer a sail for it. Am I missing
              > something?

              Payson's site isn't exactly consistent or completely representative
              of what he sells. Sweet Pea is noted on the pricelist page at
              http://www.instantboats.com/pricetxt.html as Item 40. The
              last info packet that I got from him had the study sheets. I think
              this boat is very attractive.

              Steve Hansen
            • jbatesblnk <JBatesBlnk@aol.com>
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 1, 2003
                George,
                No, you have not missed anything. For some reason Dynamite has never
                added a description of this design to his website. If you check his
                price list, he offers not only the blueprints and sails for Sweet
                Pea, but also a reprint of the articles he wrote for WoodenBoat
                detailing his construction of the boat. As I recall there were also
                comments by Specter about a rowing trip he took in a Sweet Pea with
                his wife.

                There used to be some pictures of finished Sweet Peas in the "My
                Wooden Boat" section of the WoodenBoat website. It is searchable, so
                you can get to the pictures fairly quickly.

                Feel free to email me directly if I can be of any more help.

                Have fun,