Re: ugh, oh...the off season

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 47 , Dec 3, 2002
      Bruce,
      I never did put foam in my forward well since I prefered to use
      all the space for my 2 anchors and several hundred feet of line.This
      would explain why I can flood her easily by the bow when
      underway.Being 6' and weighing in at over 200lbs also goes a long way
      in getting her down.......The drain holes also help after I take my
      shower.All the soapy water not only keeps things clean in the anchor
      well but does not linger to become a slippery surface!
      Those crazy steps work well when approaching a beach and if the
      slope of the beach is right,you can alight without getting your feet
      wet! They are horrible devices for actual extraction of ones body
      from deep water however and unless endowed with great upper body
      strength,any attempts will be foiled until you are near exhaustion.
      Much better to use the side of the transom which is boomkin-free to
      mount one of those nifty aluminum folding ladders or else be prepared
      to actually use the outboard foot to clamber back on board.Several
      years ago I had a most frightening experience concerning the boarding
      of my Micro from deep water........not something I would ever want to
      repeat in this life!
      The famous Wiley window/vent, working in concert with an outer
      screen, will effectively stop spray from coming in or "spitting".If
      one were ever in conditions where water begins to spit through this
      vent,I fear that you will be very busy indeed with more pressing
      matters for water must not only find its way in and around the bow
      transom,but must also navigate its way around the mainmast then up
      through the vent.
      That's my take on it and only based on my experience in non-
      ocean settings.The St.Lawrence may be mighty but waves much over 3
      feet are a rare and dangerous occurrence reserved for the reaches
      closer to the gulf.

      --- In bolger@y..., "brucehallman" <brucehallman@y...> wrote:

      > The Navigator plans show 60% of the
      > volume of this space filled with
      > buoyancy foam anyway. There would come
      > a point that the foam would support the
      > weight of any person standing up there.
      >
      > Those 'steps' through the bow transom also serve
      > as a 'Bolgeresque' statement of sorts. ...chop
      > off the pointy bow, and freeflooding bow well...
      >
      > "A gratitious mockery of Right-Thinking
      > Boatmen and other snobs."
      >
      > Why own a Micro if you don't want to flaunt it?
      >
      > I guess I must have the steps.
    • Clyde Wisner
      Message 47 of 47 , Mar 1, 2006
        Thanks, John and to Nels for pointing it out to me. I'm interested in
        hull for future Delaware/ Halifax. Clyde