Re: Micro rooting and flooding

  • brucehallman
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
      --- "Richard Spelling" <richard@c...> wrote:
      > the bow well flooding and bringing
      > water aboard via the forward vent...
      >
      > Is this a character problem for the Micro?

      The drain holes in the bottom of
      the well are specified at only 1"
      diameter [two of them].

      The _Lovers_ essay warns that the bow
      vent does 'spit'.

      I can hardly believe that water could
      come in the step holes, and not flow
      out the step holes, to the extreme
      extent to flood an high as the vent.

      The vent is well above the lower step
      hole. Spitting and splashing through
      the vent hole I can believe. I think
      a revamping of the baffling of the
      forward vent would be smart. The Bolger
      AS-29 has a more elaborate baffling detail,
      which must work better.

      see:
      http://www.hallman.org/bolger/AS29/
    • Paul Lefebvre
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
        I believe the bow well flooding would not happen nearly to the extent that
        Peter describes if the bow foam flotation blocks specified in the plans were
        installed to float your weight when you're standing up there; you might sink
        the bow slightly by flooding through those drain holes, but your weight
        would be offset by the foam long before the water reaches the lower step. If
        I'm not mistaken, Peter opted to leave out that foam and keep that the space
        open for storing more useful things; I've read accounts of others who did
        likewise, accepting the perfectly reasonable tradeoff of having to stay out
        of the bow well while under sail. But this discussion has given me a new
        idea - making an enclosed space, accessible from inside at the head of the
        berths, for storage AND bow-well flotation.... hmmmmmm... I'll have to see
        how much space my anchor would need, maybe leave an anchor slot in the
        middle with a small deck over it, and build flotation/storage boxes on
        either side, cut some small access holes in bulkhead 'A'. The only liability
        I can see is I'd effectively lose my 'collision bulkhead'; if the bow hits
        something, the water could come inside. might be noisier at anchor too.
        Perhaps a watertight hatch for access to each cubby?

        Paul Lefebvre, reverting to armchair building now that winter has finally
        descended on Cape Cod.....
      • brucehallman
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
          --- "Paul Lefebvre" <paul@w...> wrote: