Re: [bolger] Re: Micro rooting and flooding

  • Richard Spelling
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
      Peter! Shouldn't scare your crew!

      Interesting that this exact same thing happened to a friends Micro in my
      recent Eufaula cruise. The bow well filled up so much through the step holes
      that water was coming in the vent. This was beating in large (averaging a
      bit less than 3 ft) waves,

      Also, on the moderators site there is mention of running under spinaker and
      the bow well flooding and bringing water aboard via the forward vent...

      Is this a character problem for the Micro?

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
        --- "Richard Spelling" <richard@c...> wrote:
        > the bow well flooding and bringing
        > water aboard via the forward vent...
        >
        > Is this a character problem for the Micro?

        The drain holes in the bottom of
        the well are specified at only 1"
        diameter [two of them].

        The _Lovers_ essay warns that the bow
        vent does 'spit'.

        I can hardly believe that water could
        come in the step holes, and not flow
        out the step holes, to the extreme
        extent to flood an high as the vent.

        The vent is well above the lower step
        hole. Spitting and splashing through
        the vent hole I can believe. I think
        a revamping of the baffling of the
        forward vent would be smart. The Bolger
        AS-29 has a more elaborate baffling detail,
        which must work better.

        see:
        http://www.hallman.org/bolger/AS29/
      • Paul Lefebvre
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
          I believe the bow well flooding would not happen nearly to the extent that
          Peter describes if the bow foam flotation blocks specified in the plans were
          installed to float your weight when you're standing up there; you might sink
          the bow slightly by flooding through those drain holes, but your weight
          would be offset by the foam long before the water reaches the lower step. If
          I'm not mistaken, Peter opted to leave out that foam and keep that the space
          open for storing more useful things; I've read accounts of others who did
          likewise, accepting the perfectly reasonable tradeoff of having to stay out
          of the bow well while under sail. But this discussion has given me a new
          idea - making an enclosed space, accessible from inside at the head of the
          berths, for storage AND bow-well flotation.... hmmmmmm... I'll have to see
          how much space my anchor would need, maybe leave an anchor slot in the
          middle with a small deck over it, and build flotation/storage boxes on
          either side, cut some small access holes in bulkhead 'A'. The only liability
          I can see is I'd effectively lose my 'collision bulkhead'; if the bow hits
          something, the water could come inside. might be noisier at anchor too.
          Perhaps a watertight hatch for access to each cubby?

          Paul Lefebvre, reverting to armchair building now that winter has finally
          descended on Cape Cod.....
        • brucehallman
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
            --- "Paul Lefebvre" <paul@w...> wrote: