RE: [bolger] mystery boat

  • Paul Lefebvre
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
      I saw one of these in action many years ago, I believe it was off
      Chincoteague island but am not positive now. There were two youngish and
      very fit guys running a long net off the beach in mild surf conditions, and
      the way they handled that strange boat was so remarkable it made me stop and
      watch long enough that my girlfriend eventually had to drag me away, even
      though I was not yet the boat nut I've since become. They'd start with the
      boat on the beach where they'd just driven it up on the sand; with the motor
      kicked up and using the boat's rocker, one guy would push at the bow and one
      at the stern to quickly pivot the boat 180 degrees, then anchor one end of
      the net on the beach, push the boat off the beach as soon as the next wave
      floated it, drop the motor and fire it up as soon as they had enough water
      and blast out through the 2-3' breaking waves to set their net in a big loop
      just outside the breaker zone and come back in 50-100 yards down the beach,
      full-speed, and drive it right up the beach at perhaps 20mph or better. I'd
      never seen an outboard take this kind of abuse except in a James Bond movie,
      apparently without suffering any damage - it would be at full power until it
      hit the beach, at which point the driver shut it down at exactly the right
      moment; the motor would neatly tip up and the boat would slide perhaps 20
      feet further up on the wet sand before coming to a stop, nearly beyond reach
      of the waves but not quite - just close enough that waiting thru a few waves
      would bring them one with enough water to easily relaunch. Then they hauled
      in their net from the beach, collected their catch, folded their net
      carefully back in over the stern, spun the boat on the sand and repeated the
      whole operation again, all very swiftly coordenated movements with barely a
      word spoken. Very impressive performance, those two guys never stopped
      moving, and I'd never seen such precise boat handling on both land and
      water.

      Paul L.

      Subject: Re: [bolger] mystery boat
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
        I have seen the running up the beach technique before. I lived in the
        village of Elim (pop 300) in Western AK for three years. It is a coastal
        village on the North side of Norton Sound on Seward Peninsula, 80NM East
        of Nome. They keep the boats anchored off the village which has a sandy
        beach. When a storm was coming in the fall, each boat owner would fire
        up his boat and head full bore for the beach, cutting the motor just as
        it touched, it would kick up and the boat would slide 2-3 boat lengths
        up the steep beach. Every body working together would go from boat to
        boat and haul it the rest ofthe way up to high ground. They called it
        "flying the boat" up the beach.

        HJ

      • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
          The "dories" (they're just big skiffs these days) that launch off the beach
          at Pacific City, Oregon beach at high speed also. They come flying in and
          slide up the beach, usually high enough that no further effort is required
          before the trailer is driven up in front of the boat and it's winched
          aboard.

          http://home.att.net/~td2evers/

          http://home.att.net/~td2evers/doryphotos7.htm

          http://education.opb.org/learning/ofg/dory/theindex.html