Re: From PCB...

  • brucehallman
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
      --- In bolger@y..., Susan Davis <futabachan@y...> wrote:
      > Dear David and Susan,
      >
      > Just to let you know that we have
      > done some work on the INSOLENT-60
      > design.
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Phil

      This is really exciting!

      I was just revisting the
      simple transition from David's
      'Teal' in post #29 of this group,
      to now an INSOLENT-60.

    • David Ryan
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
        >This is really exciting!
        >
        >I was just revisting the
        >simple transition from David's
        >'Teal' in post #29 of this group,
        >to now an INSOLENT-60.

        (BBBB is for Bolger Boat Building Brotherhood.)

        That Bruce Hallman would go digging around for my first post is a
        pretty good indication of the comradery that we have here on this
        group. For every crumudgeon on the list who insists that our plywood
        dream will be dashed on the rocks of undervalued man-hours, noisy
        nights at anchor, poor windward performance, and low resale; there's
        always someone ready to counter post (usually one of the Bruces)
        that life is not measured in dollars and sense (sic) and that hours
        spent working hard on something you love rarely yield to any sort of
        spread-sheet analysis.

        Given the content of message 29 (above), I'm going to share with the
        group a note I sent to PCB&F last week.

        ********

        David Ryan
        190 South Fairview Ave
        Montauk, NY 11954

        Phil C. Bolger & Friends
        P.O. Box 1209
        Gloucester, MA 01930

        Dear Phil and Suzanne,

        Like countless others, when I first encountered your designs I was
        swept up in what can only be described as a fever. Before the paint
        was dry on my Teal I had already bought plans for the Light Scooner,
        and Gloucester Gull, as well as adding "New Instant Boats" and "Boats
        with an Open Mind" to my library.

        Somewhere in there I made Bob Wise's acquaintance. As my dreams of a
        "Big Bolger Box" began to take shape, Bob was a great reality check,
        as well as a source of encouragement, (his fundamental view being
        "Yes, it's really as easy as it looks. All you have to do it do it.)
        He also had cautionary tales of "Bolger dreams" gone wrong where the
        resulting boat was neither a Bolger, nor inexpensive, nor satisfying
        to the builder.

        Aside from our interest in boats, Bob and I also work in the same
        business. But Bob works at a much higher level than I do, and that's
        where this little story takes a funny twist.

        Earlier this Fall I was asked to consider a project that might
        involve production in Afghanistan. I knew Bob had been there last
        year, so I fired off an e-mail to him asking him for any advice he
        might have. The long and the short of it is that Bob will be working
        with me on this next project. I wouldn't go as far as saying he's
        come on board because we're both Bolger boat builders, but that
        didn't hurt! It has most certainly given us a common point of
        reference. Low budget filmmaking is a lot like low budget boat
        building - the key to success is being able to differentiate between
        the things you need to have and the things you would like to have. A
        degree of open-mindedness about what constitutes "need" vs. "want" is
        helpful, but as in boat-building, too much "open-mindedness" can
        quickly lead down the path to disappointment if is is not tempered by
        reality!

        As I said, Bob isn't coming along on this adventure because I've
        built a few of your designs. But I'm quite sure I never would have
        found my way to Bob if my first experiece (the Teal) had not been so
        encouraging! I'm sure his contribution to this next project is going
        to be invaluable, and at least some of the credit for that flows back
        to Gloucester.

        Yours,

        David

        ********

        From the first day, PCB had completely captured my imagination (see
        post #59 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/message/59 ) but I
        never would have dreamed of the path I began heading down as I
        started cobbling together that Teal. Along that path boat building
        and the resulting vessels have been frequently provided refuge when
        the weight and strain of work and life in general. Indeed, our
        decision to take on the I60 was a much a way to try and give
        ourselves something to be excited about in a world that seemed to
        have spun completely out of control. I'm quite sure that obsessing
        about the I60 distracted me from obsessing about darker issues that
        were far beyond my influence.

        That for me is the lesson of the Instant Boats and all their
        descendents. Life can slip away as we worry about the things we can't
        control. There are always a thousand reasons why it can't be done; or
        why if it's done THAT WAY, our efforts will be wasted, our dreams
        destroyed.

        Building Bolger's boats has taught me again and again that focusing
        on the things within my means and within my control is far more
        productive, and the rewards are immeasurable.

        YIBB,

        David
        --

        C.E.P.
        415 W.46th Street
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
          --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:
          > Building Bolger's boats has taught me again and again that focusing
          > on the things within my means and within my control is far more
          > productive, and the rewards are immeasurable.
          >
          > YIBB,
          >
          > David
          > --

          All of it well said David and very true,especially the above
          paragraph! Although some may well argue otherwise,I believe my own
          sanity has been saved/maintained through strict adherence to the
          above and the presence/support of my Pesky Crew!
          Happy Dreams!
          Peter Lenihan,up to his ears in schemes for deep winter building
          despite the madness all around me at work...........
        • sanmi
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 6, 2002
            David,

            Thanks for bringing me back. Last weekend, I spent hours and hours
            drawing up some new boom jaws for Alisa. I downloaded a free CAD
            package (Turbocad LE) and spent all kinds of time learning how to use
            it just to make a simple 1 page drawing and then I printed it out and
            put it on the kitchen table and kept on admiring it all weekend and
            then afterward I felt guilty because I had spent so much time. But
            it was a good thing to do! I don't feel guilty any more.

            Frank
            Wilmington, DE