Re: [bolger] mystery boat

  • Dean Pacetti
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2002
      --- wturn <wturn@...> wrote:
      > I saw two boats with outboards mounted near the
      > front of the boat in
      > the center of the boat. Would imagine they were in
      > a motor well of
      > some sort. They were built of plywood and appeared
      > to have a large
      > live well in the rear of the boat. The bottom was
      > completely flat and
      > the bow rose up sharply also with a flat bottom.
      >
      > Anyway, posting here to see if anybody knows of a
      > similar design and
      > why the outboards were mounted in front.
      > Bill

      Bill,
      The boats that you saw are what's called a Net Boat.
      The well in the back is to hold the gill net and when
      a school of fish is spotted then the net is run off
      the back of the boat surrounding and capturing the
      fish.
      The engine was mounted in front so it would not get
      tangled with the net. Also because of the front
      mounting of the eng. these boats will got through an
      unbelievable amount of shallow water. The one that I
      had was 21ft. long with a 50hp. eng. and would run in
      6 to 8 inches of water.
      Now adays it is illiegal to use gill nets inshore
      here in Florida but the boats still make great shallow
      water fishing boats.
      Dean
      Excommerial fisherman and miss it still!!!!!

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • gbb132000
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2002
        I've seen boats like that in Florida. I think they are used for some
        sort of commercial fishing. Keeps the rear deck clear for work.

        It may have been what's called a "tunnel hull". Almost a catamaran
        type of thing. Good for shallow water and stability, but you would
        think the boat would handle funny with the moter up forward like that.

        gbb
        North GA/USA

        --- In bolger@y..., "wturn" <wturn@y...> wrote:
        > I saw two boats with outboards mounted near the front of the boat in
        > the center of the boat. Would imagine they were in a motor well of
        > some sort. They were built of plywood and appeared to have a large
        > live well in the rear of the boat. The bottom was completely flat
        and
        > the bow rose up sharply also with a flat bottom.
        >
        > Anyway, posting here to see if anybody knows of a similar design and
        > why the outboards were mounted in front.
        >
        > Unfortunately it was nighttime and it was on the highway so did not
        > get a realy good look. The location was Clearwater, FL.
        >
        > Following is a (very) rough sketch:

        http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/wturn/vwp?.dir=/mystery+boat&.src=ph&.dnm=f
        ront+outboard+boat.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%
        3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/wturn/lst%3f%26.dir=/mystery%2bboat%26.src=ph%
        26.view=t

        > If the link doesnn't work, this would should:
        > http://photos.yahoo.com/wturn Navigate to the Mystery boat folder.
        >
        > Bill
      • Paul Lefebvre
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
          I saw one of these in action many years ago, I believe it was off
          Chincoteague island but am not positive now. There were two youngish and
          very fit guys running a long net off the beach in mild surf conditions, and
          the way they handled that strange boat was so remarkable it made me stop and
          watch long enough that my girlfriend eventually had to drag me away, even
          though I was not yet the boat nut I've since become. They'd start with the
          boat on the beach where they'd just driven it up on the sand; with the motor
          kicked up and using the boat's rocker, one guy would push at the bow and one
          at the stern to quickly pivot the boat 180 degrees, then anchor one end of
          the net on the beach, push the boat off the beach as soon as the next wave
          floated it, drop the motor and fire it up as soon as they had enough water
          and blast out through the 2-3' breaking waves to set their net in a big loop
          just outside the breaker zone and come back in 50-100 yards down the beach,
          full-speed, and drive it right up the beach at perhaps 20mph or better. I'd
          never seen an outboard take this kind of abuse except in a James Bond movie,
          apparently without suffering any damage - it would be at full power until it
          hit the beach, at which point the driver shut it down at exactly the right
          moment; the motor would neatly tip up and the boat would slide perhaps 20
          feet further up on the wet sand before coming to a stop, nearly beyond reach
          of the waves but not quite - just close enough that waiting thru a few waves
          would bring them one with enough water to easily relaunch. Then they hauled
          in their net from the beach, collected their catch, folded their net
          carefully back in over the stern, spun the boat on the sand and repeated the
          whole operation again, all very swiftly coordenated movements with barely a
          word spoken. Very impressive performance, those two guys never stopped
          moving, and I'd never seen such precise boat handling on both land and
          water.

          Paul L.

          Subject: Re: [bolger] mystery boat
        • Harry James
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
            I have seen the running up the beach technique before. I lived in the
            village of Elim (pop 300) in Western AK for three years. It is a coastal
            village on the North side of Norton Sound on Seward Peninsula, 80NM East
            of Nome. They keep the boats anchored off the village which has a sandy
            beach. When a storm was coming in the fall, each boat owner would fire
            up his boat and head full bore for the beach, cutting the motor just as
            it touched, it would kick up and the boat would slide 2-3 boat lengths
            up the steep beach. Every body working together would go from boat to
            boat and haul it the rest ofthe way up to high ground. They called it
            "flying the boat" up the beach.

            HJ

          • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
              The "dories" (they're just big skiffs these days) that launch off the beach
              at Pacific City, Oregon beach at high speed also. They come flying in and
              slide up the beach, usually high enough that no further effort is required
              before the trailer is driven up in front of the boat and it's winched
              aboard.

              http://home.att.net/~td2evers/

              http://home.att.net/~td2evers/doryphotos7.htm

              http://education.opb.org/learning/ofg/dory/theindex.html