Nymph Update 11/30/02

  • gbb132000
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2002
      Finished all filling and taping on the inside of the hull. The
      process went quite a bit more smoothly this time than last.

      In this session, I allowed the epoxy 'primer coat' on the seams to
      stiffen up a bit prior to filling it. I think that saved a lot of
      the sagging I experienced last time. Also tried to let the putty
      stiffen a bit prior to taping it.

      Had no problems with wrinkles; partly because I've had some practice,
      and partly because the bilge-to-side joints don't have as much curve
      as the bilge-to-bottom joints.

      I got scraps of several different PVC pipes and used them as fillet
      tools. I have 3/4", 2", and 3", cut square on one end, and cut 45
      degrees on the other. This gives me six different radius to work
      with. Seems to be a good trick. The little section of 3/4" was also
      useful for rolling the tape into place.

      I used a quart ziplock back with a clipped corner to apply the
      filling material. That is a great trick! QUESTION; How do you get
      the goop into the bag? I fiddled around with my stir stick and more
      or less raked it in there, but it was a hassle. If the filling
      material is as stiff as peanut butter (and it needs to be, if you
      don't want it to sag), then it is going to be tough to transfer it
      into the bag. Anyone have a GOOD way?

      George
      North GA/USA
    • John Bell
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2002
        I always just scooped it in out of the mixing cup with the tongue depressor
        used to mix it all up.

        Where in North GA are you?

        John Bell <><
        Kennesaw, GA
        http://jmbell.home.mindspring.com

        mailto:jmbell@... - personal email

        | I used a quart ziplock back with a clipped corner to apply the
        | filling material. That is a great trick! QUESTION; How do you get
        | the goop into the bag? I fiddled around with my stir stick and more
        | or less raked it in there, but it was a hassle. If the filling
        | material is as stiff as peanut butter (and it needs to be, if you
        | don't want it to sag), then it is going to be tough to transfer it
        | into the bag. Anyone have a GOOD way?
        |
        | George
        | North GA/USA

      • fritzdfk
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
          I use plastic disposable pastry or cake decorating bags, find them
          at a cooking supply store. They are cone shaped and you can snip off
          the end for varying the size of the filet. To fill the bag I have a
          tin can of a smaller diameter than the wide end of the bag mounted
          on my bench. The bag is dropped in the can and the top of the bag is
          folded over the edge of the can, this holds the bag open for filling.

          fritz koschmann