75% Micro owner now!

  • brucehallman
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2002
      I am feeling pretty excited with a new 75% complete Micro in the
      driveway! Pictures to follow.

      All things went smooth picking her up, except the darn thing didn't
      fit in the U-Haul trailer that I rented; (that is until we tipped
      her on her side). U-Haul specs a 6'2" bed to their 6x12 trailer,
      but the hinges for the gate are only about 5'10" clear, with Micro
      being 6'0" wide.

      I ratcheted Micro down with nylon web straps. I think I was a sight
      on the freeway. I estimate the weight of the hull at 350 pounds,
      light enough for three people to lift, and for one person to drag.
      So me, Rennie (the builder) and his 19 year old son, loaded it on
      the trailer. I was able to pull it off and tip it on it's side
      single handed.

      Rennie was a fun guy, and a Bolger nut, this being his 20th boat
      built. His first was a Teal made in his apartment in college.

      The Micro is made of nice 5 ply 1/4" Okume with glass and epoxy on
      the outsides. Much of the framing is oak and has lots of Silicon
      Bronze screws and nails.

      My neighbor, dying of curiosity, (after eyeing me for 15 minutes),
      strolled over and asked "What-cha doing?" I casually
      replied, "Nothin'". <g>

      [& then explained everything]

      I had planned on build the Micro Navigator version, but
      the 'standard' Micro seems so roomy that I am having second thoughts
      about Navigator. I will post pictures of my new 'Micro' soon enough.
      It seems rather "Big", and capable. And fun.
    • John Cupp
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2002
        Bruce, I am so glad that you picked that Micro up. It seems almost
        like fate as you have the lead for the keel already. I hope you opt
        to make the changes for the navigator as sometimes on the bay a
        larger cockpit works much better to get in from the weather.

        This boat was always destined for your use so you should name it
        with that in mind.

        John

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
          --- In bolger@y..., "John Cupp" <caj@k...> wrote:
          > I hope you opt to make the changes
          > for the Navigator...

          Yes, I have decided to go with a
          Navigator. The Navigator plans
          presume that you are modifying
          a standard Micro anyway. [As
          they call for you to take your
          dimensions from measurments from
          the hull.] Plus, I am curious to
          try a Chinese Gaff rig.

          Ironically, Rennie had started
          the hull as a Navigator, and then
          after his dad got sick, he cut it
          down to the standard Micro.

          I spent yesterday working on a bunch of
          tasks, the biggest being removing
          and replacing portions of the keel backbone
          strip, which was crooking by over an inch.
          [I had to fix it, as a crooked keel seemed
          like trouble.]

          I also laminated the curved beam
          that will support the aft end of
          the forward deck. Hope to install that
          beam today. Plus, I plan to remove
          Rennie's transom and replace it with
          the one that I had already built, as
          I liked my motor mount board more than
          his, [and he chose to put the boomkin
          hole on the 'wrong' side, at least
          according to my taste].

          I also schemed up a way to calculate the
          weight of my lead keel. Using a lever
          arm, and my 200 lb body, & moving the
          fulcrum to find the balance point, using
          algebra, it calcs out at only 350 pounds,
          versus the specified 400 lbs. As I
          plan to have two lead/acid batteries
          in the cabin, I am undecided whether to
          add some weight to the keel.

          > This boat was always destined for your
          > use so you should name it with that in mind.

          I am still favoring the name: "PCB's"
        • sctree
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
            Wow, one weekend and you've got the keel poured, the hull built and
            you're working on deck beams : )
            This boat is now in the right hands...It's begging for the Navigator
            version.
            Years ago I sailed on a friends Folkboat that he converted to chinese
            junk rig, lots of fun.

            Keep us all posted on your progress, and pics, we need pictures !!!!

            Rick