Re: [bolger] Digest Number 1310 - Re: Varathane water or oil base?

  • Ron Magen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2002
      Todd & Steve,

      Since no one mentioned a potentially harmful error {'Bannings' and the
      'cost of Champlain' seemed top take precedence}, let me jump in.

      Todd asked for a ". . . scratch resistant, diamond hard . . ." finish.
      THAT is definitely NOT Spar Varnish. Spar NEVER gets HARD . . . it's not
      supposed to. Rather than a 'long oil' varnish {Spar}, look for a 'short
      oil' varnish. You'll have to go to a marine store such as West Marine,
      Boaters World, etc. Petit and Interlux are two of the better known
      brands. However, the 'housebrand' is decent stuff. I pick up a quart of
      West's "Skippers" whenever it's on sale; usually about $17.oo..

      I agree about the Varathanes; they are typically 'water clear' with no
      UV additives. Recently I noticed a new item at Home Depot . . . an
      OUTDOOR varnish from Minwax. It's supposed to contain UV additives and
      cure HARD. This might be a good opportunity to try some and give the
      Group a 'Test Report'. I believe it's about 1/3 less than the West's
      brand.

      Regards and let us know how it turns out,
      Ron Magen
      Backyard Boatshop

      From: "Steven Lewis" <numbaoneman@...>
      Subject: Re: Varathane water or oil base?

      Spar Varnish.....Whichever brand you prefer. None of the Varathanes
      (brand name) seem to have the stated UV protection that Spar Varnish
      has. Most seem to be Interior products, rather than Exterior. Plus,
      Spar is about the same price. A couple-3 coats, and away you go...,
      just a little sanding in between.

      Steve.